Browser survey

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • William Gill

    #61
    Re: Browser survey

    Bergamot wrote:
    William Gill wrote:
    >You might also be interested in factoring in some of the articles
    >regarding "optimal line length" such as:
    >>
    >http://webusability.com/article_line_length_12_2002.htm
    >
    I didn't bother reading it - too much horizontal scrolling necessary.
    If this is their idea of optimal, I'll stick with fluid designs.
    >
    I didn't mean to imply this was the be all and end all on "optimal
    line length", I just grabbed it as one example of some other factors you
    may want to consider. There are numerous articles on the subject. I
    think it reasonable to assume that lines that are either too long or too
    short, are counterproducti ve, but I'm equally sure what qualifies as
    "just right" is subject to much debate. As Chris said, he may rethink
    his three column preference, and knowing he is capable of thinking, I
    suggested something else to add to the mix. Besides, even if there was
    an optimal line length formula, would it take into account all the
    reasons people require different font sizes, or would it assume
    something called "normal?"

    Comment

    • Scott Bryce

      #62
      Re: Browser survey

      dorayme wrote:
      Funny you should say this, when I opened your url I happened to have
      my browser conveniently not too wide (under 800px) - there was much
      else on the screen as well. Now here is a site that has no reason
      whatsoever to need more width, it being all text, and yet it makes me
      use scrollbars or widen the window.
      And when I go to a site that has a fluid design, I have to re-size my
      browser window to prevent the text from going ALL THE WAY across my 24
      inch screen. I hate it when sites do that.

      At least this sort of thing should make you a soft core proponent?
      Yes. You might call me a soft-core proponent of fluid designs. I
      personally don't like them, but I understand the arguments in favor of
      them. But what I REALLY don't like is fixed width designs created by
      people who don't know why they are evil. I lean back in my chair, put my
      feet up on the desk, and press control+ so I can read the text from WAY
      back here.... and the site falls apart.
      In other words, the subject of line length is not necessarily much to
      do with fluidity.
      My personal opinion is that the medium is such that there is no correct
      answer to the question of fluid designs vs fixed width designs. There
      are just too many factors that determine how a site will be viewed by
      the user. So the thing to do is learn all the rules, then decide which
      ones you are going to break (and hopefully the site won't). And yes, I
      understand that the to many factors argument is really an argument in
      favor of fluid designs. I'm not arguing against them. I am only arguing
      that the rule is not as hard and fast as people who argue for them think.

      Comment

      • Chris F.A. Johnson

        #63
        Re: Browser survey

        On 2008-07-02, Scott Bryce wrote:
        dorayme wrote:
        >Funny you should say this, when I opened your url I happened to have
        >my browser conveniently not too wide (under 800px) - there was much
        >else on the screen as well. Now here is a site that has no reason
        >whatsoever to need more width, it being all text, and yet it makes me
        >use scrollbars or widen the window.
        >
        And when I go to a site that has a fluid design, I have to re-size my
        browser window to prevent the text from going ALL THE WAY across my 24
        inch screen. I hate it when sites do that.
        Then why do you have your browser window that wide?


        --
        Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
        =============== =============== =============== =============== =======
        Author:
        Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)

        Comment

        • Scott Bryce

          #64
          Re: Browser survey

          William Gill wrote:
          I think it reasonable to assume that lines that are either too long
          or too short, are counterproducti ve, but I'm equally sure what
          qualifies as "just right" is subject to much debate.
          It is also subject to the end-user's environment. I subscribe to the 10
          to 14 words on a line rule. A fluid design breaks that rule unless the
          user resizes his window. A fixed width design breaks that rule if the
          user resizes the font.

          As I said elsewhere in this thread, I don't think there are any correct
          answers in this medium.

          That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be debate. If there are no
          answers, there are no guidelines. The debate allows us to weigh the
          various options and decide what we think is best. Without the debate,
          more people will make wrong choices, having too little information to
          make better choices.

          Comment

          • Guy Macon

            #65
            Re: Browser survey




            Scott Bryce wrote:
            >
            >Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
            >Which study? That page surveys a number of studies.
            >
            >I was referring to more than one study that showed that when reading
            >text on-screen, most readers preferred shorter lines. That is why I
            >prefer fixed width designs. Yes, I understand the arguments against
            >them. Yes, I understand the drawbacks of using them.
            Th above seems to assume that you know better than the user how
            long his lines should be. With a liquid design, if the user
            wants short lines he can reduce the width of his browser window.
            Liquid design gives the user control of the line width. This
            is a Good Thing.


            --
            Guy Macon
            <http://www.GuyMacon.co m/>

            Comment

            • Scott Bryce

              #66
              Re: Browser survey

              Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
              On 2008-07-02, Scott Bryce wrote:
              >And when I go to a site that has a fluid design, I have to re-size
              >my browser window to prevent the text from going ALL THE WAY across
              >my 24 inch screen. I hate it when sites do that.
              >
              Then why do you have your browser window that wide?
              Personal preference. I like to focus on one thing at a time. Multiple
              visible windows are distracting to me. I prefer to keep my browser
              window maximized.

              If I have a reason to need to see more than one window at a time, I will
              resize my browser window. And I will concede that fluid designs usually
              work best when I do.

              Comment

              • Scott Bryce

                #67
                Re: Browser survey

                Guy Macon wrote:
                Th above seems to assume that you know better than the user how long
                his lines should be. With a liquid design, if the user wants short
                lines he can reduce the width of his browser window. Liquid design
                gives the user control of the line width. This is a Good Thing.
                I understand your argument, but you don't understand that you are
                arguing against yourself. (Which is why i don't think there are any
                correct answers in this medium.)

                If a site has a fluid design, you argue, the user has the option of
                resizing his browser window to view the site however he wants to. (And I
                have done that from time to time, though I find it annoying that I have
                to.) But if the site has a fixed width design, you don't see why you
                should have to resize your browser window to read the site.

                OK. I don't see why I should have to resize my browser window to read
                fluid sites.

                You can't win.

                Comment

                • Jerry Stuckle

                  #68
                  Re: Browser survey

                  Guy Macon wrote:
                  Scott Bryce wrote:
                  >Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                  >
                  >>Which study? That page surveys a number of studies.
                  >I was referring to more than one study that showed that when reading
                  >text on-screen, most readers preferred shorter lines. That is why I
                  >prefer fixed width designs. Yes, I understand the arguments against
                  >them. Yes, I understand the drawbacks of using them.
                  >
                  Th above seems to assume that you know better than the user how
                  long his lines should be. With a liquid design, if the user
                  wants short lines he can reduce the width of his browser window.
                  Liquid design gives the user control of the line width. This
                  is a Good Thing.
                  >
                  >
                  Guy,

                  Forget it. He's made up his mind. Don't confuse him with the facts.
                  They might overload that peanut he calls a brain.

                  --
                  =============== ===
                  Remove the "x" from my email address
                  Jerry Stuckle
                  JDS Computer Training Corp.
                  jstucklex@attgl obal.net
                  =============== ===

                  Comment

                  • Ed Jay

                    #69
                    Re: Browser survey

                    Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.co m/wrote:
                    >
                    >Scott Bryce wrote:
                    >>
                    >>Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                    >
                    >>Which study? That page surveys a number of studies.
                    >>
                    >>I was referring to more than one study that showed that when reading
                    >>text on-screen, most readers preferred shorter lines. That is why I
                    >>prefer fixed width designs. Yes, I understand the arguments against
                    >>them. Yes, I understand the drawbacks of using them.
                    >
                    >Th above seems to assume that you know better than the user how
                    >long his lines should be. With a liquid design, if the user
                    >wants short lines he can reduce the width of his browser window.
                    >Liquid design gives the user control of the line width. This
                    >is a Good Thing.
                    I try to strike the happy medium. I designed my site for 100% width on a
                    1024px wide viewer port. It's completely fluid for viewer ports less than
                    1024, but fixed for larger (max-width:1024px;). This gives me 6-inch wide
                    lines of text.

                    max-width: 1024px;
                    width:expressio n(document.body .clientWidth 1024? "1024px": "100%" );
                    (for IE).

                    --
                    Ed Jay (remove 'M' to reply by email)

                    Win the War Against Breast Cancer.
                    Knowing the facts could save your life.

                    Comment

                    • Jonathan N. Little

                      #70
                      Re: Browser survey

                      Scott Bryce wrote:
                      Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                      >On 2008-07-02, Scott Bryce wrote:
                      >>And when I go to a site that has a fluid design, I have to re-size
                      >>my browser window to prevent the text from going ALL THE WAY across
                      >>my 24 inch screen. I hate it when sites do that.
                      >>
                      >Then why do you have your browser window that wide?
                      >
                      Personal preference. I like to focus on one thing at a time. Multiple
                      visible windows are distracting to me. I prefer to keep my browser
                      window maximized.
                      >
                      If I have a reason to need to see more than one window at a time, I will
                      resize my browser window. And I will concede that fluid designs usually
                      work best when I do.
                      So you prefer?

                      +----------------------------------------------------------+
                      | +--------------+ |
                      | | page content | |
                      | | page content | |
                      | | page content | |
                      | | page content | |
                      | | page content | |
                      | | page content | |
                      | +--------------+ |
                      +----------------------------------------------------------+

                      --
                      Take care,

                      Jonathan
                      -------------------
                      LITTLE WORKS STUDIO

                      Comment

                      • Chris F.A. Johnson

                        #71
                        Re: Browser survey

                        On 2008-07-02, Ed Jay wrote:
                        Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.co m/wrote:
                        >>
                        >>Scott Bryce wrote:
                        >>>
                        >>>Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                        >>
                        >>>Which study? That page surveys a number of studies.
                        >>>
                        >>>I was referring to more than one study that showed that when reading
                        >>>text on-screen, most readers preferred shorter lines. That is why I
                        >>>prefer fixed width designs. Yes, I understand the arguments against
                        >>>them. Yes, I understand the drawbacks of using them.
                        >>
                        >>Th above seems to assume that you know better than the user how
                        >>long his lines should be. With a liquid design, if the user
                        >>wants short lines he can reduce the width of his browser window.
                        >>Liquid design gives the user control of the line width. This
                        >>is a Good Thing.
                        >
                        I try to strike the happy medium. I designed my site for 100% width on a
                        1024px wide viewer port. It's completely fluid for viewer ports less than
                        1024, but fixed for larger (max-width:1024px;). This gives me 6-inch wide
                        lines of text.
                        >
                        max-width: 1024px;
                        width:expressio n(document.body .clientWidth 1024? "1024px": "100%" );
                        (for IE).
                        That may still be too wide for easy reading if the viewer has a
                        very small font size, or too narrow if a very large size.

                        I specify max-width in ems, the number varying depending on the
                        page.

                        --
                        Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
                        =============== =============== =============== =============== =======
                        Author:
                        Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)

                        Comment

                        • Chris F.A. Johnson

                          #72
                          Re: Browser survey

                          On 2008-07-02, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
                          Scott Bryce wrote:
                          >Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                          >>On 2008-07-02, Scott Bryce wrote:
                          >>>And when I go to a site that has a fluid design, I have to re-size
                          >>>my browser window to prevent the text from going ALL THE WAY across
                          >>>my 24 inch screen. I hate it when sites do that.
                          >>>
                          >>Then why do you have your browser window that wide?
                          >>
                          >Personal preference. I like to focus on one thing at a time. Multiple
                          >visible windows are distracting to me. I prefer to keep my browser
                          >window maximized.
                          >>
                          >If I have a reason to need to see more than one window at a time, I will
                          >resize my browser window. And I will concede that fluid designs usually
                          >work best when I do.
                          >
                          So you prefer?
                          >
                          +----------------------------------------------------------+
                          >| +--------------+ |
                          >| | page content | |
                          >| | page content | |
                          >| | page content | |
                          >| | page content | |
                          >| | page content | |
                          >| | page content | |
                          >| +--------------+ |
                          +----------------------------------------------------------+

                          I prefer:

                          +----------------------------------------------------------+
                          | +--------------+ |
                          | |<- 35ems ->| |
                          | +--------------+ |
                          +----------------------------------------------------------+

                          Or:


                          +----------------------------------------------------------+
                          | +--------------+ +--------------+ |
                          | |<- 35ems ->| |<- 35ems ->| |
                          | +--------------+ +--------------+ |
                          +----------------------------------------------------------+

                          Or:

                          +----------------------------------------------------------+
                          | +--------------+ +--------------+ +--------------+ |
                          | |<- 35ems ->| |<- 35ems ->| |<- 35ems ->| |
                          | +--------------+ +--------------+ +--------------+ |
                          +----------------------------------------------------------+


                          --
                          Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
                          =============== =============== =============== =============== =======
                          Author:
                          Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)

                          Comment

                          • Jerry Stuckle

                            #73
                            Re: Browser survey

                            Ed Jay wrote:
                            Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.co m/wrote:
                            >Scott Bryce wrote:
                            >>Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                            >>>Which study? That page surveys a number of studies.
                            >>I was referring to more than one study that showed that when reading
                            >>text on-screen, most readers preferred shorter lines. That is why I
                            >>prefer fixed width designs. Yes, I understand the arguments against
                            >>them. Yes, I understand the drawbacks of using them.
                            >Th above seems to assume that you know better than the user how
                            >long his lines should be. With a liquid design, if the user
                            >wants short lines he can reduce the width of his browser window.
                            >Liquid design gives the user control of the line width. This
                            >is a Good Thing.
                            >
                            I try to strike the happy medium. I designed my site for 100% width on a
                            1024px wide viewer port. It's completely fluid for viewer ports less than
                            1024, but fixed for larger (max-width:1024px;). This gives me 6-inch wide
                            lines of text.
                            >
                            max-width: 1024px;
                            width:expressio n(document.body .clientWidth 1024? "1024px": "100%" );
                            (for IE).
                            >
                            Which means your pages are wasting a lot of space on my 21" monitor... :-)

                            --
                            =============== ===
                            Remove the "x" from my email address
                            Jerry Stuckle
                            JDS Computer Training Corp.
                            jstucklex@attgl obal.net
                            =============== ===

                            Comment

                            • Jonathan N. Little

                              #74
                              Re: Browser survey

                              Scott Bryce wrote:
                              If a site has a fluid design, you argue, the user has the option of
                              resizing his browser window to view the site however he wants to. (And I
                              have done that from time to time, though I find it annoying that I have
                              to.) But if the site has a fixed width design, you don't see why you
                              should have to resize your browser window to read the site.
                              If you have a high resolution big monitor what you would have your
                              browser maximized? If you link it maximized then maybe you would prefer
                              a larger default font size? Larger size on larger view port will give
                              you fewer words per line. Else with a fixed site on larger view port you
                              may have few words per line but also a whole lot of nothing around it!
                              >
                              OK. I don't see why I should have to resize my browser window to read
                              fluid sites.
                              Make is a sensible ratio and have some other window on the desktop to do
                              something else. It is like the difference of having and executive desk
                              with your work laid out verses one of those school-days
                              chair-'n-paddleboard desk with barely room for a book!
                              >
                              You can't win.
                              Sure you can...

                              --
                              Take care,

                              Jonathan
                              -------------------
                              LITTLE WORKS STUDIO

                              Comment

                              • dorayme

                                #75
                                Re: Browser survey

                                In article <9MGdnfC5PMnFTf fVnZ2dnUVZ_gOdn Z2d@comcast.com >,
                                Scott Bryce <sbryce@scottbr yce.comwrote:
                                dorayme wrote:
                                Funny you should say this, when I opened your url I happened to have
                                my browser conveniently not too wide (under 800px) - there was much
                                else on the screen as well. Now here is a site that has no reason
                                whatsoever to need more width, it being all text, and yet it makes me
                                use scrollbars or widen the window.
                                >
                                And when I go to a site that has a fluid design, I have to re-size my
                                browser window to prevent the text from going ALL THE WAY across my 24
                                inch screen. I hate it when sites do that.
                                I have had poor success in getting across a certain important
                                distinction. And I see from your answer that I have failed to trigger it
                                again! <g>

                                I would have known you were aware of my point had you said something
                                like:

                                "All (many) of the fluid sites I go to are hopeless because the lines of
                                text are too long and this is clearly the fault of the designers in
                                allowing this to happen. The fluidity of the page is not compromised by
                                having the text limited in width. But the designers of these sites are
                                less than competent and simply have not realised that the page can be
                                usefully wide (eg. pics can spread out horizontally to convenient effect
                                (easing need to scroll down) without also having to make text so lengthy
                                across. To be fair to some designers, I am using IE 6 and they might
                                have made max-width provisions to limit lines of text; but alas IE6 is
                                blind to max-width.

                                That sort of speech would have given me more confidence. I would only
                                then have needed to add that a really competent fluid designer would
                                know how to make provisions for the still popular MS browser. There are
                                javascript solutions and other simple design solutions (yes, using CSS
                                mIE6 understands via conditional statements)
                                >
                                At least this sort of thing should make you a soft core proponent?
                                >
                                Yes. You might call me a soft-core proponent of fluid designs. I
                                personally don't like them, but I understand the arguments in favor of
                                them. But what I REALLY don't like is fixed width designs created by
                                people who don't know why they are evil. I lean back in my chair, put my
                                feet up on the desk, and press control+ so I can read the text from WAY
                                back here.... and the site falls apart.
                                >
                                In other words, the subject of line length is not necessarily much to
                                do with fluidity.
                                >
                                My personal opinion is that the medium is such that there is no correct
                                answer to the question of fluid designs vs fixed width designs.
                                You see, here again, it is as if you are not on to the distinction
                                between fluid page and fluid line length, you being quick to change the
                                subject to something quite general after my remark about specifics.

                                You seem to me quite capable of appreciating the distinction I am
                                making. Perhaps you are seeming not to acknowledge it for special
                                reasons? I am happy to make you a page that illustrates the distinction
                                if it escapes you or anyone else.

                                --
                                dorayme

                                Comment

                                Working...