Browser survey

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jerry Stuckle

    #211
    Re: Browser survey

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    On Jul 3, 4:14 pm, "Red E. Kilowatt" <SPAMT...@aww-faq.orgwrote:
    > A US automaker is a very bad example of a business catering to its
    >customer's needs/desires.
    >
    I completely disagree! The fact that they do cater to customers is
    proven by what they offer as their product. American's asked for
    SUVs, and they got SUVs. The american automakers give the public
    exaclty what they ask for. And present gas prices show the need to be
    careful what you ask for.
    >
    If that were really the case, they wouldn't be in such dire straits -
    and the overseas market making such big inroads.

    It reminds me of the time back after WW II. Volkswagen tried to sell
    their design of the Beetle to Ford. Ford wasn't interested - the
    already had a "family car" on the drawing board, and didn't think the
    Beetle would sell.

    Of course, we all know how big the VW Beetle got back in the 50's and
    60's. For you young'uns, they were all over the place. Along with
    that, VW campers became somewhat of a cult item.

    And Ford's great family car? The Edsel...

    --
    =============== ===
    Remove the "x" from my email address
    Jerry Stuckle
    JDS Computer Training Corp.
    jstucklex@attgl obal.net
    =============== ===

    Comment

    • Jerry Stuckle

      #212
      Re: Browser survey

      Red E. Kilowatt wrote:
      Travis Newbury <TravisNewbury@ hotmail.comwrot e in message:
      d07423e5-453a-4549-a17b-69c4ec219b8b...l egroups.com,
      >
      >On Jul 3, 4:14 pm, "Red E. Kilowatt" <SPAMT...@aww-faq.orgwrote:
      >> A US automaker is a very bad example of a business catering to its
      >>customer's needs/desires.
      >I completely disagree! The fact that they do cater to customers is
      >proven by what they offer as their product. American's asked for
      >SUVs, and they got SUVs. The american automakers give the public
      >exaclty what they ask for. And present gas prices show the need to be
      >careful what you ask for.
      >
      Yes, but the US automakers completely ignored the predictable
      consequences of rising oil prices on their future sales of gas guzzling
      SUVs. They never put any real effort into making their SUVs more
      fuel-efficient, which is why they continued to lose market share to
      imports prior to the runup in oil prices.
      >
      True. And never mind the fact SUV's and other large vehicles are much
      more profitable to the car manufacturers than small cars are...

      Despite all the hipe, it really doesn't cost *that* much more to build
      an SUV than a subcompact. Some more, I agree. But not the difference
      they are (were) charging.

      --
      =============== ===
      Remove the "x" from my email address
      Jerry Stuckle
      JDS Computer Training Corp.
      jstucklex@attgl obal.net
      =============== ===

      Comment

      • William Gill

        #213
        Re: Browser survey

        Jerry Stuckle wrote:
        >And Kenedy was assassinated by the Mafia... You do know that is just
        >an urban legend right?
        >http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp
        >>
        >
        No, Kennedy was assassinated by Johnson :-)
        >
        Lyndon Baines or Lady Bird?

        Comment

        • Jerry Stuckle

          #214
          Re: Browser survey

          William Gill wrote:
          Jerry Stuckle wrote:
          >
          >>And Kenedy was assassinated by the Mafia... You do know that is just
          >>an urban legend right?
          >>http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp
          >>>
          >>
          >No, Kennedy was assassinated by Johnson :-)
          >>
          >
          Lyndon Baines or Lady Bird?
          >
          Walter :-)

          --
          =============== ===
          Remove the "x" from my email address
          Jerry Stuckle
          JDS Computer Training Corp.
          jstucklex@attgl obal.net
          =============== ===

          Comment

          • William Gill

            #215
            Re: Browser survey

            Red E. Kilowatt wrote:
            Their problem has always been that they are too slow to respond to
            changing tastes and market conditions.
            I'm sure that is at least one of their problems, but when design to
            production typically takes 5 years it's hard to keep ahead of shorter
            market vacillations. Of course there are those who say the automakers
            should have had the foresight to not offer what people want, and instead
            only offer what they (the automakers) knew their customer should have
            wanted. I can't tell you how many times I have told my customers I
            wouldn't accept their money because they wanted a fixed layout for their
            website instead of a fluid one. (of course my design to production cycle
            is a little less than 5 years) When someone in any industry guesses
            right what the market is going to do, they are a genius, when they miss
            the mark we all say they should have seen it coming.

            Don't get me wrong, when large corporations frequently look at the short
            term at the expense of the long term. A board frequently looks at the
            impact on shares and therefore the shareholders who may fire them,
            instead of the (long term) impact on the business. The logic being, if
            I piss off the shareholder and get fired, it doesn't matter (to me) if
            the company eventually does well, but if I make the shareholders happy I
            may have time to avert the consequences, and even if I don't, I may be
            ready to retire by the time they eventually fire me.

            Comment

            • Neredbojias

              #216
              Re: Browser survey

              On 03 Jul 2008, Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex@attg lobal.netwrote:
              >>Nope, that's the nature of the web. They can RECOMMEND what it looks
              >>like, but not CONTROL it.
              >>
              >Okay, I see where you're coming from. Anyway, I do my best to make my
              >recommendation s as controlling as possible but usually within the auspices
              >of the fluid concept.
              >>
              >
              Fluid is good. But anyone who thinks they can control the user's
              browser is deluding himself. That's the nature of HTML - it suggests a
              layout, but the user has final control.
              >
              OTOH, PDF's give you absolute control over the layout.
              I can't stand pdf's -(possibly for the very reason you state.)

              --
              Neredbojias

              Great sights and sounds

              Comment

              • Matt Probert

                #217
                Re: Browser survey

                Travis Newbury <TravisNewbury@ hotmail.comwrot e:
                >On Jul 3, 1:37=A0pm, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias .net/_eml/
                >fliam.phpwrote :
                >I was gonna say, "Cut it out!"
                >
                >And you wold have won the best comeback award if there was a
                >competition between the two of you.
                Oh that just sucks!

                Matt


                --
                The Probert Encyclopaedia
                Welcome to the legal world of Encyclopaedia what legal words and law categories explained. Free Legal Advice from our Law Encyclopaedia.

                Comment

                • Ed Jay

                  #218
                  Re: Browser survey

                  (Matt Probert) wrote:
                  >Travis Newbury <TravisNewbury@ hotmail.comwrot e:
                  >
                  >>On Jul 3, 1:37=A0pm, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias .net/_eml/
                  >>fliam.phpwrot e:
                  >>I was gonna say, "Cut it out!"
                  >>
                  >>And you wold have won the best comeback award if there was a
                  >>competition between the two of you.
                  >
                  >Oh that just sucks!
                  >
                  You guys are a crack up.

                  --
                  Ed Jay (remove 'M' to reply by email)

                  Win the War Against Breast Cancer.
                  Knowing the facts could save your life.

                  Comment

                  • nully

                    #219
                    Re: Browser survey


                    "Scott Bryce" <sbryce@scottbr yce.comwrote in message
                    news:xqOdnc55MP tY0PDVnZ2dnUVZ_ sudnZ2d@comcast .com...
                    Travis Newbury wrote:
                    >The american automakers give the public exactly what they ask for.
                    >
                    Which is why the Corolla is the best selling car in the world.
                    Technically correct, but a classic example of stats not telling the whole
                    truth. The Corolla has been sold for longer than nearly all 'mainstream'
                    vehicles (I'm counting designs like the 911 and Landy Defender's out), has
                    been sold in more markets, and has been through more incarnations than
                    Doctor Who. A more sensible calculation would be Cars Sold divided by
                    Potential Customers divided by (a given time period). Personally, I dont
                    think that the Corolla would figure so well using that formula, and cars
                    like the Model T, Beetle, 2CV, etc. would come back toward the top.


                    Comment

                    • Travis Newbury

                      #220
                      Re: Browser survey

                      On Jul 4, 12:24 am, William Gill <nore...@exampl e.comwrote:
                      Jerry Stuckle wrote:
                      And Kenedy was assassinated by the Mafia...  You do know that is just
                      an urban legend right?  
                      >http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp
                      >
                      No, Kennedy was assassinated by Johnson :-)
                      >
                      Lyndon Baines or Lady Bird?
                      Magic

                      Comment

                      • Travis Newbury

                        #221
                        Re: Browser survey

                        On Jul 4, 12:05 am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attg lobal.netwrote:
                        Of course, we all know how big the VW Beetle got back in the 50's and
                        60's.  For you young'uns, they were all over the place.  Along with
                        that, VW campers became somewhat of a cult item.
                        I had a blue bug in 75. Best car I ever owned. (with the exception of
                        the heater which was non existent in Bugs...)

                        Comment

                        • Travis Newbury

                          #222
                          Re: Browser survey

                          On Jul 4, 12:06 am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attg lobal.netwrote:
                          OTOH, PDF's give you absolute control over the layout.
                          Well, unless the user had Acrobat 8 then they can change it all they
                          like....

                          Comment

                          • Ed Mullen

                            #223
                            Re: Browser survey

                            Travis Newbury wrote:
                            On Jul 4, 12:24 am, William Gill <nore...@exampl e.comwrote:
                            >Jerry Stuckle wrote:
                            >>>And Kenedy was assassinated by the Mafia... You do know that is just
                            >>>an urban legend right?
                            >>>http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp
                            >>No, Kennedy was assassinated by Johnson :-)
                            >Lyndon Baines or Lady Bird?
                            >
                            Magic
                            Howard

                            --
                            Ed Mullen
                            Help for Mozilla, Firefox and SeaMonkey. Performances and original music.

                            Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

                            Comment

                            • Matt Probert

                              #224
                              Re: Browser survey

                              Ed Jay <edMbj@aes-intl.comwrote:
                              >(Matt Probert) wrote:
                              >
                              >>Travis Newbury <TravisNewbury@ hotmail.comwrot e:
                              >>
                              >>>On Jul 3, 1:37=A0pm, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias .net/_eml/
                              >>>fliam.phpwro te:
                              >>>I was gonna say, "Cut it out!"
                              >>>
                              >>>And you wold have won the best comeback award if there was a
                              >>>competitio n between the two of you.
                              >>
                              >>Oh that just sucks!
                              >>
                              >You guys are a crack up.
                              I really worried no one would get it. PHEW!

                              Matt

                              --
                              The Probert Encyclopaedia
                              Welcome to the legal world of Encyclopaedia what legal words and law categories explained. Free Legal Advice from our Law Encyclopaedia.

                              Comment

                              • William Gill

                                #225
                                Re: Browser survey

                                Jonathan N. Little wrote:
                                No they just quietly frustrated, and do not return.
                                I find non-intuitive navigation of a sight the main reason for never
                                coming back. I, and I suspect many others, will tolerate breaches of
                                style and layout as long as I can find what I came for, but if it's too
                                much work, or too confusing, to find things I'm gone. Then again, I'm a
                                big believer that content is king (or Queen, or whatever).

                                Comment

                                Working...