Browser survey

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jerry Stuckle

    #46
    Re: Browser survey

    Red E. Kilowatt wrote:
    Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex@attg lobal.netwrote in message:
    fPOdnVRXzsXSBPv VnZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ 2d@comcast.com,
    >
    >Travis Newbury wrote:
    >>On Jun 28, 2:53 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attg lobal.netwrote:
    >>>Not at all. Such a survey is pointless. Those who have been
    >>>around for a while have learned that. Newbies need to be taught it
    >>>over and over again.
    >>>>
    >>>Design the page correctly and the content adjusts itself to any
    >>>window size within reason.
    >>Well that is one way to design,the other is to have it be fixed
    >>width. Both are equally correct based on the website.
    >>>
    >Yep, amateurs design fixed width sites. Professionals design sites
    >which resize themselves.
    >
    Hey, that's not fair to amateurs! Even I (with minimal web design
    knowledge and skill) know better than to use fixed widths. Scroll bars
    can be a minor annoyance on a typical desktop screen, but they really
    suck when visiting a site on a mobile phone.
    >
    That's true, Red. Sorry, I didn't mean to be down on amateurs.
    Some webmasters don't get it. Other webmasters don't want to get it. But
    ultimately everyone is free to do what they want. Better that, than
    having some self-appointed entity dictating how things have to be done.
    >
    Nor is it worth a newsgroup pissing match.
    >
    Yes, I just hate it when someone with such lousy skills calls himself a
    "profession al". He's a blight on professionals, everywhere.

    --
    =============== ===
    Remove the "x" from my email address
    Jerry Stuckle
    JDS Computer Training Corp.
    jstucklex@attgl obal.net
    =============== ===

    Comment

    • Travis Newbury

      #47
      Re: Browser survey

      On Jun 29, 3:38 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attg lobal.netwrote:
      Sure.  www.fcc.gov.  Good luck.
      Two things, first, if this is your best example of professional, then
      you truely are an amateur.
      It's a hell of a lot more professional than the crap you have.
      I don't believe you really have sites Jerry. I think you are nothing
      more than a wannabe. And I knew I read that word "stoopid" before.
      Old habits die hard eh?



      Bye-bye now Mr professional wannabe.



      Comment

      • Jerry Stuckle

        #48
        Re: Browser survey

        Travis Newbury wrote:
        On Jun 29, 3:38 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attg lobal.netwrote:
        >>>Sure. www.fcc.gov. Good luck.
        >>Two things, first, if this is your best example of professional, then
        >>you truely are an amateur.
        >It's a hell of a lot more professional than the crap you have.
        >
        I don't believe you really have sites Jerry. I think you are nothing
        more than a wannabe. And I knew I read that word "stoopid" before.
        Old habits die hard eh?
        >

        >
        Bye-bye now Mr professional wannabe.
        >
        >
        >
        ROFLMAO! Good luck, sucker. I've been programming longer than you've
        been alive. 40+ years now. Including a number of those as a FTE of
        IBM, and even more as a successful consultant.

        What you believe is of absolutely no consideration to me. Such searches
        just show how desperate you are to find some way to discredit me and
        what I'm saying.

        But you can't - because I'm right.

        Loser. And a stoopid one one, at that.


        --
        =============== ===
        Remove the "x" from my email address
        Jerry Stuckle
        JDS Computer Training Corp.
        jstucklex@attgl obal.net
        =============== ===

        Comment

        • Travis Newbury

          #49
          Re: Browser survey

          On Jun 29, 5:58 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attg lobal.netwrote:
          http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Je...rceid=navclien...
          Bye-bye now Mr professional wannabe.
          Such searches
          just show how desperate you are to find some way to discredit me and
          what I'm saying.
          No, apparently the truth pisses you off.

          Comment

          • Jerry Stuckle

            #50
            Re: Browser survey

            Travis Newbury wrote:
            On Jun 29, 5:58 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attg lobal.netwrote:
            >>http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Je...rceid=navclien...
            >>Bye-bye now Mr professional wannabe.
            >Such searches
            >just show how desperate you are to find some way to discredit me and
            >what I'm saying.
            >
            No, apparently the truth pisses you off.
            ROFLMAO!

            Not at all. Just pointing out how desperate you are. It's the way
            losers like you go every time you can't come up with valid responses.

            You're a loser. All around.

            --
            =============== ===
            Remove the "x" from my email address
            Jerry Stuckle
            JDS Computer Training Corp.
            jstucklex@attgl obal.net
            =============== ===

            Comment

            • Chris F.A. Johnson

              #51
              Re: Browser survey

              On 2008-06-29, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
              Travis Newbury wrote:
              ....
              >>
              >I took it Jerry, now put your money where your mouth is. Supply me
              >with a URL please.
              >
              Sure. www.fcc.gov. Good luck.
              That's not a site I'd brag about:

              The words "Federal Communications Commission" are in an
              image and are too small for me to read.

              Table-based layout.

              The search entry bar spills out of its container.

              --
              Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
              =============== =============== =============== =============== =======
              Author:
              Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)

              Comment

              • nully

                #52
                Re: Browser survey


                "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson@gma il.comwrote in message
                news:92123$4868 0ed6$cef88ba3$2 8039@TEKSAVVY.C OM...
                On 2008-06-29, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
                >Travis Newbury wrote:
                ...
                >>>
                >>I took it Jerry, now put your money where your mouth is. Supply me
                >>with a URL please.
                >>
                >Sure. www.fcc.gov. Good luck.
                >
                That's not a site I'd brag about:
                >
                The words "Federal Communications Commission" are in an
                image and are too small for me to read.
                >
                Table-based layout.
                >
                The search entry bar spills out of its container.
                >
                Shhhhh!!!! Mustn't criticize Jerry! He'll have to point out that you must be
                a loser! I wouldn't call it a 'site' anyhow - its just a freakin great list
                of links...


                Comment

                • wayne

                  #53
                  Re: Browser survey

                  Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                  I have posted a quick survey at
                  <http://cfaj.freeshell. org/testing/width.shtml>.
                  >
                  There's only one question: select the widest line that fits
                  in your normal browser window.
                  >
                  Your assistance is appreciated.
                  >
                  140

                  --
                  Wayne

                  A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of
                  the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. [Thomas
                  Jefferson]

                  Comment

                  • Chris F.A. Johnson

                    #54
                    Re: Browser survey

                    On 2008-06-30, wayne wrote:
                    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                    > I have posted a quick survey at
                    > <http://cfaj.freeshell. org/testing/width.shtml>.
                    >>
                    > There's only one question: select the widest line that fits
                    > in your normal browser window.
                    >>
                    > Your assistance is appreciated.
                    >>
                    140
                    Thanks.

                    There's no need to reply here. The results are at
                    <http://cfaj.freeshell. org/testing/width.cgi>.

                    --
                    Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
                    =============== =============== =============== =============== =======
                    Author:
                    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)

                    Comment

                    • +mrcakey

                      #55
                      Re: Browser survey

                      "Rob Waaijenberg" <robwaaijenberg @hotmail.comwro te in message
                      news:486628bf$0 $14353$e4fe514c @news.xs4all.nl ...
                      Beauregard T. Shagnasty schreef:
                      >In alt.html, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I have posted a quick survey at
                      >> <http://cfaj.freeshell. org/testing/width.shtml>.
                      >>>
                      >> There's only one question: select the widest line that fits
                      >> in your normal browser window.
                      >>>
                      >> Your assistance is appreciated.
                      >>
                      >63
                      >>
                      >Nice idea...
                      >>
                      >
                      78
                      >
                      --
                      Rob Waaijenberg
                      79

                      Nah nah nah nah nah!

                      +mrcakey



                      Comment

                      • Michael Fesser

                        #56
                        Re: Browser survey

                        ..oO(nully)
                        >"Dylan Parry" <usenet@dylanpa rry.comwrote in message
                        >news:g48at3.4t s.1@dylanparry. com...
                        >nully wrote:
                        >>>>
                        >I'm guessing that you have the "Link Alert" addon, or something similar?
                        >I'm using Firefox too, but I don't see what you are seeing. I did notice
                        >that there's an icon appearing near the link on your screenshot, which
                        >looks similar to something that Link Alert would add.
                        >>
                        >Yup, its undoubtedly a FF extension that 'causes' it.
                        May I suggest a better browser like Opera?
                        >But it nicely
                        >demonstrates the problem of creating sites that automatically use every
                        >pixel.
                        Wrong again. Using every pixel is not bad. Every flexible layout does
                        that. If the browser window is 789 pixels wide, you can use 789 pixels.
                        The point is to properly scale if you increase the font size, and the
                        given page does that. The markup is ugly and 80's style, but it works
                        better than most "modern" sites with totally braindead div-soup.
                        >Its hardly a unique setup I'm using, so surely one of these ultimate
                        >professional designers should have built in sufficient redundancy to
                        >accommodate such browser configurations. ..
                        You can't blame a site maintainer for your own buggy software. With such
                        an attitude every website would be bad, because it can easily be broken
                        with a user stylesheet. Too bad the author didn't built in sufficient
                        redundancy to accomodate my 30px font size ...

                        The given site works in an acceptable range, even with a font size
                        increased multiple times. It's your very own setup that breaks it.

                        Micha

                        Comment

                        • AGT

                          #57
                          Re: Browser survey

                          On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:55:14 +0200, Michael Fesser wrote:
                          .oO(nully)
                          >>"Dylan Parry" <usenet@dylanpa rry.comwrote in message
                          >>news:g48at3.4 ts.1@dylanparry .com...
                          >>nully wrote:
                          >>>You were saying...
                          >>>http://www.pixelshack.com/img/928764fcc.gif
                          >>I'm guessing that you have the "Link Alert" addon, or something similar?
                          >>I'm using Firefox too, but I don't see what you are seeing. I did notice
                          >>that there's an icon appearing near the link on your screenshot, which
                          >>looks similar to something that Link Alert would add.
                          >>Yup, its undoubtedly a FF extension that 'causes' it.
                          May I suggest a better browser like Opera?
                          I do use Opera but 9.5 core dumps with wrong phase of the moon... : <
                          Had to go back to 9.2 something. Good luck with that!
                          Think I got 38 ems on a 1280x1024 screen : >


                          Comment

                          • William Gill

                            #58
                            Re: Browser survey

                            Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                            I have posted a quick survey at
                            <http://cfaj.freeshell. org/testing/width.shtml>.
                            >
                            There's only one question: select the widest line that fits
                            in your normal browser window.
                            >
                            Your assistance is appreciated.
                            >
                            Chris,

                            I may be late, but 78

                            You might also be interested in factoring in some of the articles
                            regarding "optimal line length" such as:


                            Comment

                            • Bergamot

                              #59
                              Re: Browser survey


                              William Gill wrote:
                              >
                              You might also be interested in factoring in some of the articles
                              regarding "optimal line length" such as:
                              >
                              http://webusability.com/article_line_length_12_2002.htm
                              I didn't bother reading it - too much horizontal scrolling necessary.
                              If this is their idea of optimal, I'll stick with fluid designs.

                              --
                              Berg

                              Comment

                              • Scott Bryce

                                #60
                                Re: Browser survey

                                Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
                                Which study? That page surveys a number of studies.
                                I was referring to more than one study that showed that when reading
                                text on-screen, most readers preferred shorter lines. That is why I
                                prefer fixed width designs. Yes, I understand the arguments against
                                them. Yes, I understand the drawbacks of using them.

                                Comment

                                Working...