Which database should I use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Homer J Simpson

    #16
    Re: Which database should I use?


    "Dennis" <Dennis@discuss ions.microsoft. com> wrote in message
    news:06C20B53-C955-4556-B48D-28B3C69410D4@mi crosoft.com...
    [color=blue]
    > Thanks for answers. I"m not sure what the "optimistic " locking is nor how
    > to
    > split a database. I'll do some "googling" and see if I can find out what
    > it's all about. What I really wanted to do was put an access database on
    > the
    > internet so more than one user can read from it simultaneously and also
    > write
    > without errors due to someone else simultaneously read or writing.[/color]

    Optimistically locking implies locking as little of the DB as possible
    during updates.

    Ask yourself what you want user A to see when user B has the record(s)
    locked for update.



    Comment

    • Homer J Simpson

      #17
      Re: Which database should I use?


      "m.posseth" <michelp@nohaus ystems.nl> wrote in message
      news:uxRWWXeGGH A.2680@TK2MSFTN GP09.phx.gbl...
      [color=blue]
      > did some comparisation tests and guess ,,, although they claim they are
      > faster as Access turned out in my tests that they were actually much
      > slower
      >
      > i have tried them all SQLlite , vistadb etc etc etc all claim to be
      > better but can`t make the claim for reall[/color]

      IME it's rarely the DB engine. Speed issues are usually the fault of the
      application designers, some of who do loony things which screw things up.

      Oracle, well designed, should be as fast as can be with the server 10 feet
      away. I don't regard 5+ hours to retrieve one record as indicative of a well
      designed system (no joke).



      Comment

      • m.posseth

        #18
        Re: Which database should I use?

        about that ACCESS Thingy


        well in this situation we wrote a program that retrieved data from a 8
        million records 3 column database ( simulated license plate retrival,
        verry comon in our app )
        , 30000 updates ( to simulate a price update ) and and some random
        selects on 2 joined tables with 30.0000 records both


        turned out that with this same dataset Access was the overall winner (
        ofcourse a RDMS is faster , however these company`s claimed to have a faster
        product )

        regards

        Michel Posseth [MCP]

        "Homer J Simpson" <nobody@nowhere .com> wrote in message
        news:KEyyf.8265 0$AP5.64612@edt nps84...[color=blue]
        >
        > "m.posseth" <michelp@nohaus ystems.nl> wrote in message
        > news:uxRWWXeGGH A.2680@TK2MSFTN GP09.phx.gbl...
        >[color=green]
        >> did some comparisation tests and guess ,,, although they claim they are
        >> faster as Access turned out in my tests that they were actually much
        >> slower
        >>
        >> i have tried them all SQLlite , vistadb etc etc etc all claim to be
        >> better but can`t make the claim for reall[/color]
        >
        > IME it's rarely the DB engine. Speed issues are usually the fault of the
        > application designers, some of who do loony things which screw things up.
        >
        > Oracle, well designed, should be as fast as can be with the server 10 feet
        > away. I don't regard 5+ hours to retrieve one record as indicative of a
        > well designed system (no joke).
        >
        >
        >[/color]


        Comment

        • Dennis

          #19
          Re: Which database should I use?

          How do I detect that a record and/or database is locked?
          --
          Dennis in Houston


          "Homer J Simpson" wrote:
          [color=blue]
          >
          > "Dennis" <Dennis@discuss ions.microsoft. com> wrote in message
          > news:06C20B53-C955-4556-B48D-28B3C69410D4@mi crosoft.com...
          >[color=green]
          > > Thanks for answers. I"m not sure what the "optimistic " locking is nor how
          > > to
          > > split a database. I'll do some "googling" and see if I can find out what
          > > it's all about. What I really wanted to do was put an access database on
          > > the
          > > internet so more than one user can read from it simultaneously and also
          > > write
          > > without errors due to someone else simultaneously read or writing.[/color]
          >
          > Optimistically locking implies locking as little of the DB as possible
          > during updates.
          >
          > Ask yourself what you want user A to see when user B has the record(s)
          > locked for update.
          >
          >
          >
          >[/color]

          Comment

          • Cyril Gupta

            #20
            Re: Which database should I use?

            Hello Dennis

            You don't have to detect. When you try to update the DB you get a big fat
            error. You catch it, and process it :)

            Cyril


            Comment

            • Dennis

              #21
              Re: Which database should I use?

              Thanks...that's what I was afraid of. I'll have to check for the concurrenty
              error in all my DB access.
              --
              Dennis in Houston


              "Cyril Gupta" wrote:
              [color=blue]
              > Hello Dennis
              >
              > You don't have to detect. When you try to update the DB you get a big fat
              > error. You catch it, and process it :)
              >
              > Cyril
              >
              >
              >[/color]

              Comment

              Working...