Math errors in python

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Brian van den Broek

    #76
    Re: Math errors in python

    Grant Edwards said unto the world upon 2004-09-21 16:12:[color=blue]
    > On 2004-09-21, Carl Banks <imbosol@aerojo ckey.com> wrote:
    >[color=green]
    >>"Chris S." <chrisks@NOSPAM .udel.edu> wrote in message news:<70b3d.182 2$uz1.747@trndn y03>...
    >>[color=darkred]
    >>>I just find
    >>>it funny how a $20 calculator can be more accurate than Python running
    >>>on a $1000 Intel machine.[/color]
    >>
    >>Actually, if you look at Intel's track record, it isn't that surprising.
    >>
    >>How many Intel Pentium engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    >>Three. One to screw in the bulb, and one to hold the ladder.[/color]
    >
    >
    > Intel, where quality is Job 0.9999999997.
    >[/color]

    Since we're playing:

    Why'd Intel call it the Pentium chip?

    'Cause they added 100 to 486 and got 585.99999999998 9

    Brian vdB

    Comment

    • Richard Hanson

      #77
      Re: Math errors in python

      Peter Otten wrote:
      [color=blue]
      > Paul Rubin wrote:
      >[color=green]
      > > I haven't tried 2.4 yet. After[/color]
      >
      > The auther is currently working on an installer, but just dropping it into
      > 2.3's site-packages should work, too.[/color]

      I just dropped decimal.py from 2.4's Lib dir into 2.3.4's Lib dir.
      Seems to work. Any gotchas with this route?

      By the way, I got decimal.py revision 1.24 from CVS several days ago
      and noted a speedup of over an order of magnitude -- almost
      twenty-five times faster with this simple snippet calculating a square
      root to 500 decimal places. :-)

      [On Win98SE:]

      | from time import clock
      | from decimal import *
      |
      | a = Decimal('189740 183740874031874 04701740918.748 170408471047304 8017483047104')
      | t = clock()
      | b = a.sqrt(Context( prec=500))
      |
      | print "Time: ", clock()-t
      | print "b =", b

      With decimal.py from 2.4a3.2 dropped into 2.3.4's Lib dir:

      | IDLE 1.0.3
      | >>> =============== =============== == RESTART =============== =============== ==
      | >>>
      | Time: 7.40197958397
      | b = 435591762710079 3.0054682072286 ...[elided]...677224724164 304095648078078 74919604463
      | >>>

      With decimal.py from CVS (revision 1.24) in 2.3.4's Lib dir:

      | IDLE 1.0.3
      | >>> =============== =============== == RESTART =============== =============== ==
      | >>>
      | Time: 0.300008380965
      | b = 435591762710079 3.0054682072286 ...[elided]...677224724164 304095648078078 74919604463
      | >>>

      For a check, I did:

      | >>> setcontext(Cont ext(prec=500))
      | >>> b * b
      | Decimal("189740 183740874031874 04701740918.748 170408471047304 801748304710400 ...[lotsa zeroes]...00")

      Pretty damn impressive! -- Try it, you'll like it!

      Good job to the crew for Decimal and the latest optimizations!


      now-I-just-need-atan[2]()-ly y'rs,
      Richard Hanson

      --
      sick<PERI0D>old <P0INT>fart<P IE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy< MARK>com

      Comment

      • Alex Martelli

        #78
        Re: Math errors in python

        Richard Hanson <me@privacy.net > wrote:
        [color=blue]
        > Peter Otten wrote:
        >[color=green]
        > > Paul Rubin wrote:
        > >[color=darkred]
        > > > I haven't tried 2.4 yet. After[/color]
        > >
        > > The auther is currently working on an installer, but just dropping it into
        > > 2.3's site-packages should work, too.[/color]
        >
        > I just dropped decimal.py from 2.4's Lib dir into 2.3.4's Lib dir.
        > Seems to work. Any gotchas with this route?[/color]

        None that I know of. Indeed, the author originally wanted to have that
        approach as the one and only way to use decimal with 2.3, I just made
        myself a nuisance to him insisting that many inexperienced Pythonistas
        would have been frigthened to even try that, so finally he packaged
        things up when he realized it would take less of his time than putting
        up with yet another whining email from me;-).


        Alex

        Comment

        • Richard Hanson

          #79
          Re: Math errors in python

          Alex Martelli wrote:
          [color=blue]
          > Richard Hanson <me@privacy.net > wrote:
          >[color=green]
          > > Peter Otten wrote:
          > >[color=darkred]
          > > > The auther is currently working on an installer, but just dropping it into
          > > > 2.3's site-packages should work, too.[/color]
          > >
          > > I just dropped decimal.py from 2.4's Lib dir into 2.3.4's Lib dir.
          > > Seems to work. Any gotchas with this route?[/color]
          >
          > None that I know of.[/color]

          Good to hear. My interest (besides my Pathfinder project which I
          introduced in another [OT] thread :-) ), also is in developing
          continuing improvements to my COGO software (despite my being retired
          for many years and having no personal need for such).

          (Now that I note the substantial speedup in CVS of Decimal's sqrt(), I
          am getting interested once again in getting back to my COGO-in-Python
          project [when I get a chance :-) ], and see just what success I have
          working up a relatively fast arctangent function.[1] Besides an
          arctangent function, a COGO-using-Decimal also needs to have pi
          available to an arbitrary number of decimal places. My sketches
          heretofore used precalculated values of pi to a ridiculous number of
          decimal places in string form, from which a simple slice would give
          the requisite value as the current Context may require. [Decimal's
          help files include snippets for some simpler versions of sine and
          cosine, and thus, tangent. If I get the chance -- and the ability to
          comprehend the state-of-the-art as referenced in my footnote -- to
          implement a fast arctangent function in Decimal, similarly implemented
          algorithms should also speed up sine and cosine.][2])
          [color=blue]
          > Indeed, the author originally wanted to have that
          > approach as the one and only way to use decimal with 2.3, I just made
          > myself a nuisance to him insisting that many inexperienced Pythonistas
          > would have been frigthened to even try that, so finally he packaged
          > things up when he realized it would take less of his time than putting
          > up with yet another whining email from me;-).[/color]

          Heh. I, for one, have greatly enjoyed reading your posts over the
          years. I think that you are correct in that *non*-computer folks --
          arguably part of a target audience for Python -- can be easily
          frightened by the complexity of the abstractions common in compsci. It
          is part of Guido's genius that he recognizes such; he has aimed to
          keep Python accessible to non-programmer-types (Donald Knuth estimated
          that only about one-percent of humans even have the proper brain
          organization to be potential programmers, but I digest. :-) ) even as
          fancier, but quite powerful, complexity-controlling enhancements such
          as generators are added to the language.

          In any event, thanks for the comments! Keep up the good work and the
          posting!


          enjoying-reading-the-postings-'ly y'rs,
          Richard Hanson
          _______________ _______________ _______
          [1] I've skimmed R. P. Brent's work, but haven't yet found the time to
          understand all of it well enough to develop the requisite trig
          functions in Python's Decimal.

          [2] Traditionally, the precision of generic eight-byte floating point
          types has been sufficient for COGO. However, now, with the advancement
          in cheap-but-powerful computing power, and with the prevalence of GPS,
          such things as the Kalman Filter and other iterative matrix algorithms
          now require BIGNUM decimal places to avoid degenerate solutions near
          singularities and such.[3]

          [3] I caution that I am an autodidact, and may sound more educated
          than I actually am. ;-)

          --
          sick<PERI0D>old <P0INT>fart<P IE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy< MARK>com

          Comment

          • Anna Martelli Ravenscroft

            #80
            Re: Math errors in python

            Radioactive Man wrote:
            [color=blue]
            > Thanks to all for info here. Sorry for inadvertently creating such a
            > long thread.
            >[/color]
            Please don't feel you need to apologize. These guys enjoy discussing
            such abstract, theoretical complexities - that's why they're so good at
            what they do!

            Hope that you did get your question answered along the way. If you have
            more questions, please post them. You may also consider posting to the
            Python Tutor mailing list <tutor@python.o rg>, where they are geared more
            specifically to answering newbie questions (rather than debating the
            intricacies of Pi).

            Welcome and enjoy Python!

            Anna
            --
            Whaddya mean - Pie are squared?
            Pie aren't square - pie are round.
            *Cake* are square.

            Comment

            • Anna Martelli Ravenscroft

              #81
              Re: Math errors in python

              Note: I posted a response yesterday, but it apparently never appeared (I
              was having some trouble with my newsreader) so I'm posting this now. My
              apologies if it is a duplicate.

              Alex Martelli wrote:[color=blue]
              > Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.i nvalid> wrote:
              > ...
              >[color=green]
              >>The issue here is that Python's behavior confuses the hell out of some
              >>new users. There is a separate area of confusion, that
              >>
              >> a = 2 / 3
              >>
              >>sets a to 0, and to clear that up, the // operator was introduced and
              >>Python 3.0 will supposedly treat / as floating-point division even
              >>when both operands are integers. That doesn't solve the also very
              >>common confusion that (1.0/3.0)*3.0 = 0.99999999. Rational arithmetic
              >>can solve that.[/color]
              >
              >
              > Yes, but applying rational arithmetic by default might slow some
              > computations far too much for beginners' liking! My favourite for
              > Python 3.0 would be to have decimals by default, with special notations
              > to request floats and rationals (say '1/3r' for a rational, '1/3f' for a
              > float, '1/3' or '1/3d' for a decimal with some default parameters such
              > as number of digits). This is because my guess is that most naive users
              > would _expect_ decimals by default...[/color]

              I agree. Naive (eg, non-CS, non-Mathemetician/Engineer) users who grew
              up with calculators and standard math courses in school may have never
              even heard of floats! (I made it as far as Calculus 2 in college, but
              still had never heard of them.)

              This brings me to another issue. Often c.l.py folks seem surprised that
              people don't RTFM about floats before they ask about why their math
              calculations aren't working. Most of the folks asking have no idea they
              are *doing* float arithmetic, so when they try to google for the answer,
              or look in the docs for the answer, and skip right past the "Float
              Arithmetic" section of the FAQ and the Tutorial, it's because they're
              not DOING float arithmetic - that they know of... So, of course they
              won't read those sections to look for their answer, any more than they'd
              read the Complex Number calculations section... People who know about
              floats con't need that section - the ones who do need it, con't know
              they need it.

              If you want people to find those sections when they are looking for
              answers to why their math calculations aren't working - I suggest you
              remove the "FLOAT" from the title. Something in the FAQ like: "Why are
              my math calculations giving weird or unexpected results?" would attract
              a lot more of the people you WANT to read it. Once you've roped them in,
              *then* you can explain to them about floats...

              Anna Martelli Ravenscroft

              Comment

              • Richard Hanson

                #82
                Re: Math errors in python

                Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:
                [color=blue]
                > If you want people to find those sections when they are looking for
                > answers to why their math calculations aren't working - I suggest you
                > remove the "FLOAT" from the title. Something in the FAQ like: "Why are
                > my math calculations giving weird or unexpected results?" would attract
                > a lot more of the people you WANT to read it. Once you've roped them in,
                > *then* you can explain to them about floats...[/color]

                Excellent point.

                (Or, "+1" as the "oldbies" say. ;-) )

                Nice to "meet" you, too -- welcome! (Even if I'm primarily only a
                lurker.)

                (Alex mentioned you have a Fujitsu LifeBook -- I do, too, and like it
                very much!)

                ---

                [Note: I am having equipment and connectivity problems. I'll be back
                as I can when I get things sorted out better, and as appropriate (or
                inappropriate ;-) ). Thanks to you and to all for the civil
                and fun discussions!]


                Richard Hanson

                --
                sick<PERI0D>old <P0INT>fart<P IE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy< MARK>com

                Comment

                • Alex Martelli

                  #83
                  Re: Math errors in python

                  Richard Hanson <me@privacy.net > wrote:
                  ...[color=blue]
                  > (Alex mentioned you have a Fujitsu LifeBook -- I do, too, and like it
                  > very much!)[/color]

                  There are many 'series' of such "Lifebooks" nowadays -- it's become as
                  un-descriptive as Sony's "Vaio" brand or IBM's "Thinkpad". Anna's is a
                  P-Series -- 10.5" wide-form screen, incredibly tiny, light, VERY
                  long-lasting batteries. It was the _only_ non-Apple computer around at
                  the local MacDay (I'm a Mac fan, and she attended too, to keep an eye on
                  me I suspect...;-), yet it got nothing but admiring "ooh!"s from the
                  crowd of design-obsessed Machies (Apple doesn't make any laptop smaller
                  than 12", sigh...).

                  OBCLPY: Python runs just as wonderfully on her tiny P-Series as on my
                  iBook, even though only Apple uses it within the OS itself;-)


                  Alex

                  Comment

                  • Richard Hanson

                    #84
                    Re: Math errors in python

                    [Connection working again...?]

                    Alex Martelli wrote:
                    [color=blue]
                    > Richard Hanson <me@privacy.net > wrote:
                    > ...[color=green]
                    > > (Alex mentioned you have a Fujitsu LifeBook -- I do, too, and like it
                    > > very much!)[/color]
                    >
                    > There are many 'series' of such "Lifebooks" nowadays -- it's become as
                    > un-descriptive as Sony's "Vaio" brand or IBM's "Thinkpad". Anna's is a
                    > P-Series -- 10.5" wide-form screen, incredibly tiny, light, VERY
                    > long-lasting batteries.[/color]

                    Ahem. As I said ;-) in my reply to your post mentioning Anna's P2000
                    (in my MID: <lgebl0182hk6t0 809ar3dh9925ptj 5um5b@4ax.com>) , and in
                    earlier postings re 2.4x installation difficulties, mine is a Fujitsu
                    LifeBook P1120. (Sorry, Alex! I definitely *should* have mentioned the
                    model again -- I'm just beginning to appreciate the difficulty of even
                    *partially* keeping up with c.l.py. I'm learning, though. :-) )

                    In any event, the Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 has a 8.9" wide-format
                    screen, is 2.2lbs.-light with the smaller *very* long-lasting battery
                    and 2.5lbs.-light with the very, *very* long-lasting battery, and has
                    -- what tipped the scales, as it were, for my needs -- a touchscreen
                    and stylus.
                    [color=blue]
                    > It was the _only_ non-Apple computer around at
                    > the local MacDay (I'm a Mac fan, and she attended too, to keep an eye on
                    > me I suspect...;-), yet it got nothing but admiring "ooh!"s from the
                    > crowd of design-obsessed Machies (Apple doesn't make any laptop smaller
                    > than 12", sigh...).[/color]

                    I can feel your pain. I would switch to Apple in a second if they had
                    such light models (and if I had the bucks ;-) ). I need a very light
                    machine for reasons specified earlier. (Okay, slightly reluctantly:
                    Explicit may be better even with *this* particular info -- I have
                    arthritis [ankylosing spondylitis] and need very light laptops to read
                    and write with. :-) )
                    [color=blue]
                    > OBCLPY: Python runs just as wonderfully on her tiny P-Series as on my
                    > iBook, even though only Apple uses it within the OS itself;-)[/color]

                    ObC.l.pyFollow-up: Python also runs very well on my tinier ;-) P1120
                    with the Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 processor running at 800MHz and with
                    256MB RAM and a 256KB L2 on-chip cache -- even using Win2k. :-) It's
                    really nice not needing a fan on a laptop, as well -- even when
                    calculating Decimal's sqrt() to thousands of decimal places. ;-)

                    ObExplicit-metacomment: I'm only attempting a mixture of info *and*
                    levity. :-)


                    what?-men-arguing-about-whose-is-*tinier*?!'ly y'rs,
                    Richard Hanson

                    --
                    sick<PERI0D>old <P0INT>fart<P IE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy< MARK>com

                    Comment

                    • Cameron Laird

                      #85
                      Whose is smaller (was: Math errors in python)

                      In article <adeel054s0qvd0 qas7nk1v9i93vk3 tdlv1@4ax.com>,
                      Richard Hanson <me@privacy.net > wrote:[color=blue]
                      >[Connection working again...?]
                      >
                      >Alex Martelli wrote:
                      >[color=green]
                      >> Richard Hanson <me@privacy.net > wrote:
                      >> ...[color=darkred]
                      >> > (Alex mentioned you have a Fujitsu LifeBook -- I do, too, and like it
                      >> > very much!)[/color][/color][/color]

                      Comment

                      • Richard Hanson

                        #86
                        Re: Whose is smaller (was: Math errors in python)

                        Cameron Laird wrote:
                        [color=blue]
                        > In article <adeel054s0qvd0 qas7nk1v9i93vk3 tdlv1@4ax.com>,
                        > Richard Hanson <me@privacy.net > wrote [comparing
                        > Anna Martelli Ravenscroft's Fujitsu LifeBook P2000 to my
                        > (Richard Hanson's) Fujitsu LifeBook P1120]:
                        >[color=green]
                        > > [...]
                        > >
                        > >In any event, the Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 has a 8.9" wide-format
                        > >screen, is 2.2lbs.-light with the smaller *very* long-lasting battery
                        > >and 2.5lbs.-light with the very, *very* long-lasting battery, and has
                        > >-- what tipped the scales, as it were, for my needs -- a touchscreen
                        > >and stylus.
                        > >
                        > > [...]
                        > >
                        > >Alex Martelli wrote:
                        > >[color=darkred]
                        > >> OBCLPY: Python runs just as wonderfully on her tiny P-Series as on my
                        > >> iBook, even though only Apple uses it within the OS itself;-)[/color]
                        > >
                        > >ObC.l.pyFoll ow-up: Python also runs very well on my tinier ;-) P1120
                        > >with the Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 processor running at 800MHz and with
                        > >256MB RAM and a 256KB L2 on-chip cache -- even using Win2k. :-) It's
                        > >really nice not needing a fan on a laptop, as well -- even when
                        > >calculating Decimal's sqrt() to thousands of decimal places. ;-)[/color]
                        > .
                        > .
                        > .
                        > Is Linux practical on these boxes?[/color]

                        I've found on the web accounts of two people, at least, getting the
                        P1120 working with Linux and with at least partial functionality of
                        the touchscreen -- one individual claimed full functionality. (I found
                        some accounts of success with getting Linux working on the P2000, as
                        well.) I'm currently waiting to purchase a new harddrive for my P1120
                        to see for myself if I can get Linux installed with the touchscreen
                        fully functioning -- which, as I mentioned in my post, is particularly
                        important to me.
                        [color=blue]
                        > How do touch-typists like them[/color]

                        I've been touch-typing since I was about nine-years-old. When I was
                        looking for a very light laptop for reasons mentioned in my post, I
                        was concerned that I wouldn't be able to touch-type on the ~85% (16mm
                        pitch) keyboard. I went to a local "big box" computer store (who shall
                        remain nameless) and tried one of the P1120s -- within seconds I
                        realized I could easily adapt and subsequently ordered one from
                        Fujitsu.

                        I would estimate that I was typing *faster* and with substantially
                        *fewer* errors inside of several weeks -- and occasional uses of the
                        standard-sized keyboard on my HP Omnibook 900B made me feel like a
                        Munchkin. :-)

                        Now that I'm temporarily back on the standard-pitch Omnibook 900B, I
                        have adapted to the what-had-come-to-seem-a-humongous keyboard, once
                        again. I most definitely prefer the P1120's keyboard.

                        I note that on the P1120, I could reach difficult key-combinations
                        much easier, and also, that I could often hold down two keys of a
                        three-key combo, say, with one finger or thumb.

                        Your mileage may vary, as they say, but I now prefer smaller
                        keyboards.

                        The "instant on-off" works very well, too. I highly recommend the
                        P1120 for anyone who isn't put off by the smaller keyboard. (Drawing
                        on the screen with the stylus is pretty trick, as well.)


                        Richard Hanson

                        --
                        sick<PERI0D>old <P0INT>fart<P IE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy< MARK>com

                        Comment

                        • Alex Martelli

                          #87
                          Re: Whose is smaller

                          Cameron Laird <claird@lairds. us> wrote:
                          ...[color=blue]
                          > Is Linux practical on these boxes?[/color]

                          Never got 'sleep' to work (there's supposed to be a 'hybernate' thingy,
                          but I haven't found it to work reliably either). AFAIMC, that's the
                          biggie; everything else is fine.
                          [color=blue]
                          > How do touch-typists like them[/color]

                          Just fine (the 10.5" P2000 -- can't speak for the even-smaller P1000s).


                          Alex

                          Comment

                          • Anna Martelli Ravenscroft

                            #88
                            Re: Whose is smaller

                            Cameron Laird wrote:[color=blue]
                            > In article <adeel054s0qvd0 qas7nk1v9i93vk3 tdlv1@4ax.com>,
                            > Richard Hanson <me@privacy.net > wrote:
                            >[color=green]
                            >>[Connection working again...?]
                            >>
                            >>Alex Martelli wrote:
                            >>
                            >>[color=darkred]
                            >>>Richard Hanson <me@privacy.net > wrote:
                            >>> ...
                            >>>
                            >>>>(Alex mentioned you have a Fujitsu LifeBook -- I do, too, and like it
                            >>>>very much!)[/color][/color]
                            >
                            > .
                            > .
                            > .
                            >[color=green]
                            >>Ahem. As I said ;-) in my reply to your post mentioning Anna's P2000
                            >>(in my MID: <lgebl0182hk6t0 809ar3dh9925ptj 5um5b@4ax.com>) , and in
                            >>earlier postings re 2.4x installation difficulties, mine is a Fujitsu
                            >>LifeBook P1120. (Sorry, Alex! I definitely *should* have mentioned the
                            >>model again -- I'm just beginning to appreciate the difficulty of even
                            >>*partially* keeping up with c.l.py. I'm learning, though. :-) )
                            >>
                            >>In any event, the Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 has a 8.9" wide-format
                            >>screen, is 2.2lbs.-light with the smaller *very* long-lasting battery
                            >>and 2.5lbs.-light with the very, *very* long-lasting battery, and has
                            >>-- what tipped the scales, as it were, for my needs -- a touchscreen
                            >>and stylus.[/color]
                            >
                            > .
                            > .
                            > .
                            >[color=green]
                            >>I can feel your pain. I would switch to Apple in a second if they had
                            >>such light models (and if I had the bucks ;-) ). I need a very light
                            >>machine for reasons specified earlier. (Okay, slightly reluctantly:
                            >>Explicit may be better even with *this* particular info -- I have
                            >>arthritis [ankylosing spondylitis] and need very light laptops to read
                            >>and write with. :-) )
                            >>
                            >>[color=darkred]
                            >>>OBCLPY: Python runs just as wonderfully on her tiny P-Series as on my
                            >>>iBook, even though only Apple uses it within the OS itself;-)[/color]
                            >>
                            >>ObC.l.pyFollo w-up: Python also runs very well on my tinier ;-) P1120
                            >>with the Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 processor running at 800MHz and with
                            >>256MB RAM and a 256KB L2 on-chip cache -- even using Win2k. :-) It's
                            >>really nice not needing a fan on a laptop, as well -- even when
                            >>calculating Decimal's sqrt() to thousands of decimal places. ;-)[/color]
                            >
                            > .
                            > .
                            > .
                            > Is Linux practical on these boxes? How do touch-typists like them[/color]

                            Well, mine is dual boot. I'm currently experimenting with Ubuntu on my
                            Linux partition... I'm really REALLY hoping for a linux kernel with a
                            decent 'sleep' function to come up RSN because I despise having to work
                            in Windoze XP instead of Linux. Ah well, at least the XP hasn't been too
                            terrible to work on - it runs surprisingly smoothly, particularly with
                            Firefox and Thunderbird for browsing and email...

                            And I can touch type just fine - except for the damn capslock key (there
                            is NO purpose whatsoever for a capslock key as a standalone key on a
                            modern keyboard, imho). I've had only minor problems with the touch
                            typing that I do - and that, only due to the slightly different layout
                            of the SHIFT key on the right side compared to where I'd normally expect
                            to find it: keyboard layout is a common bugbear on laptops though,
                            regardless of size....

                            Anna

                            Comment

                            • Richard Hanson

                              #89
                              Re: Whose is smaller

                              Anna Martelli Ravenscroft wrote:

                              [This post primarily contains solutions to Anna's problem with the
                              Fujitsu LifeBook P2000's key locations. But, there's also some 2.4x
                              MSI Installer anecdotal info in my footnote.]
                              [color=blue]
                              > Cameron Laird wrote:
                              >[color=green]
                              > > Is Linux practical on these boxes? How do touch-typists like them[/color]
                              >
                              > Well, mine is dual boot. I'm currently experimenting with Ubuntu on my
                              > Linux partition... I'm really REALLY hoping for a linux kernel with a
                              > decent 'sleep' function to come up RSN because I despise having to work
                              > in Windoze XP instead of Linux. Ah well, at least the XP hasn't been too
                              > terrible to work on - it runs surprisingly smoothly, particularly with
                              > Firefox and Thunderbird for browsing and email...[/color]

                              My Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 is (was) only single-booting Win2k, so I
                              can't help with the Linux "sleep" function as yet -- I'll be working
                              on dual-booting Win2k and Linux on the P1120 as soon as I get the
                              requisite hardware to rebuild things. The "sleep" function is a *very*
                              high priority for me, so if and when I find a solution, I'll post it
                              if you're still needing such -- may well work for your P2000 as well.
                              [color=blue]
                              > And I can touch type just fine - except for the damn capslock key (there
                              > is NO purpose whatsoever for a capslock key as a standalone key on a
                              > modern keyboard, imho).[/color]

                              It seems *many* folks agree; read below.
                              [color=blue]
                              > I've had only minor problems with the touch
                              > typing that I do - and that, only due to the slightly different layout
                              > of the SHIFT key on the right side compared to where I'd normally expect
                              > to find it: keyboard layout is a common bugbear on laptops though,
                              > regardless of size....[/color]

                              [I lost all my recent archives in a recent series of "crashes" -- so I
                              regoogled this morning for the info herein.]

                              On Win2k, and claimed for WinXP, one can manually edit the registry to
                              remap any of the keys. I originally did this on my P1120 with Win2k.
                              Worked just fine.

                              (I had saved to disc before a Win98SE crash just a few minutes ago
                              ;-), the manual regedit values. If you're interested in 'em you may
                              post here or contact me off-group. The email addie below works if
                              unmunged -- ObExplicit: replace the angle-bracketed items with the
                              appropriate symbol.)

                              Also, there are tools available from both MS, and for those who don't
                              like to visit MS ;-), free from many other helpful folks.

                              If my memory serves, I liked best the (freeware, I believe) tool
                              KeyTweak:

                              <http://webpages.charte r.net/krumsick/KeyTweak_instal l.exe>

                              available from this page:

                              <http://webpages.charte r.net/krumsick>

                              ---

                              MS's tool is Remapkey.exe. (NB: I have not tried this tool --
                              *usually* my firewall blocks MS :-) [which required an unblocking to
                              install 2.4ax because of the new MSI Installer[1] :-) ].) This tool
                              may already be on one of your MS CDs in the reskit dirs (I haven't
                              looked in mine).

                              In any event, one webpage:

                              <http://www.annoyances. org/exec/forum/winxp/t1014389848>

                              describes Remapkey.exe as:

                              "... a nifty tool put out by microsoft (sic). Make sure you get the
                              correct version for your OS. Not resource intensive like other dll
                              apps."

                              The page has these links (quoted herein):

                              For individual downloads:
                              <http://www.dynawell.co m/support/ResKit/winxp.asp>

                              Free from Microsoft site, for full downloads
                              <http://www.microsoft.c om/downloads/details.aspx?fa milyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&di splaylang=en>

                              or shorter link:
                              <http://www.petri.co.il/download_window s_2003_reskit_t ools.htm>

                              ---

                              I also have links to a few other freeware (some open-source) tools for
                              all versions of Win32. I won't add them now, but repost or contact me
                              if you want more info from my research.

                              ---

                              Additionally, I found many solutions for Linux, but haven't
                              investigated those as (as I said) I have not yet installed Linux on my
                              Fujitsu LifeBook P1120. Again, if you have trouble locating a Linux
                              key-remapping method, let me know as I found lots of links for the
                              better OS :-), as well.

                              (I do note that after several reinstalls on the P1120, that I was
                              finally used to the capslock and shift key locations well enough to
                              avoid wrongly hitting them very often. As they say, though, your
                              mileage may vary.)


                              Richard Hanson
                              _______________ _______________ _____________
                              [1] On this HP Omnibook 900B even after downloading the requisite MSI
                              Install file, I experienced multiple errors trying to install 2.4a3.2
                              on Win98SE. I finally got 2.4x working, but I note that the helpfiles
                              are still missing the navigation icons. I have the MSI Installer error
                              messages if Martin or anyone is interested.

                              --
                              sick<PERI0D>old <P0INT>fart<P IE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy< MARK>com

                              Comment

                              • Richard Hanson

                                #90
                                Re: Whose is smaller

                                Alex Martelli wrote:
                                [color=blue]
                                > Cameron Laird <claird@lairds. us> wrote:
                                >[color=green]
                                > > How do touch-typists like them[/color]
                                >
                                > Just fine (the 10.5" P2000 -- can't speak for the even-smaller P1000s).[/color]

                                I commented on my P1120 -- works better for me than the standard-sized
                                keyboards. See my MID:

                                <141fl01ecvoobq 2h33ud827p6mefv u3183@4ax.com>


                                Richard Hanson

                                --
                                sick<PERI0D>old <P0INT>fart<P IE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy< MARK>com

                                Comment

                                Working...