Help with research

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • elena

    #1

    Help with research

    I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.

    I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
    using for a research project on programmers.

    It's easy [Yes/No answers] and takes about 5 minutes.

    I will be presenting the results at the American Psychological
    Association convention in August.

    The study link is:



    The survey measures "cognitive style" (analytical/intuitive) which
    describes how you process information and learn. The people I've
    pre-tested it with found it to be pretty interesting.

    I can go to my friends, however it occurred to me that it might be
    better to post in a newsgroup and get a larger, more diverse, and
    random sample.

    Thanks again for your time,

    Elena

  • infobahn

    #2
    Re: Help with research

    elena wrote:[color=blue]
    >
    > I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.[/color]

    Try comp.lang.java. programmer or comp.lang.c++ (if you're not merely
    a spambot, which is the explanation that most immediately comes to
    mind).

    Comment

    • Steven

      #3
      Re: Help with research

      Even if she is a Java or C++ programmer, shouldn't the post be in a
      phychology newsgroup?

      Interesting, she has her name (an awefully common one too) as an URL...

      Comment

      • Steven

        #4
        Re: Help with research

        Even if she is a Java or C++ programmer, shouldn't the post be in a
        phychology newsgroup?

        Interesting, she has her name (an awefully common one too) as an URL...

        Comment

        • Walter Roberson

          #5
          Re: Help with research

          In article <1108528479.256 484.86950@z14g2 000cwz.googlegr oups.com>,
          elena <elena@monmouth .com> wrote:
          :I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.

          :I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
          :using for a research project on programmers.

          That would be "self-selection", and such a proposal would not pass
          the ethics department at any reasonable university that I have
          heard of. Or don't research studies require approval anymore?
          --
          Are we *there* yet??

          Comment

          • Default User

            #6
            Re: Help with research


            Walter Roberson wrote:[color=blue]
            > In article <1108528479.256 484.86950@z14g2 000cwz.googlegr oups.com>,
            > elena <elena@monmouth .com> wrote:
            > :I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.
            >
            > :I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
            > :using for a research project on programmers.
            >
            > That would be "self-selection", and such a proposal would not pass
            > the ethics department at any reasonable university that I have
            > heard of. Or don't research studies require approval anymore?[/color]


            Walter is absolutely right. Without a properly selected and controlled
            survey group, the results are meaningless.

            According to the web site, she's with Northcentral University, which
            seems to be one of those "distance learning" universities.

            Universities.com makes it easy to compare over 6,500 top colleges in the U.S. Find degrees and read recent alumni college reviews.




            Brian

            Comment

            • Mark McIntyre

              #7
              Re: Help with research

              On 16 Feb 2005 09:00:12 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "Default User"
              <defaultuserbr@ yahoo.com> wrote:
              [color=blue]
              >Walter Roberson wrote:[color=green]
              >> In article <1108528479.256 484.86950@z14g2 000cwz.googlegr oups.com>,
              >> elena <elena@monmouth .com> wrote:
              >> :I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.
              >>
              >> :I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
              >> :using for a research project on programmers.
              >>
              >> That would be "self-selection", and such a proposal would not pass
              >> the ethics department at any reasonable university that I have
              >> heard of.[/color]
              >
              >
              >Walter is absolutely right. Without a properly selected and controlled
              >survey group, the results are meaningless.[/color]

              Not necessarily - a randomish sample also has meaning, provided you
              understand and document the nature of its randomness. Whats at least as
              important is the questions asked and how they're phrased.
              --
              Mark McIntyre
              CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
              CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt >

              Comment

              • Mark McIntyre

                #8
                Re: Help with research

                On 16 Feb 2005 09:00:12 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "Default User"
                <defaultuserbr@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                [color=blue]
                >Walter Roberson wrote:[color=green]
                >> In article <1108528479.256 484.86950@z14g2 000cwz.googlegr oups.com>,
                >> elena <elena@monmouth .com> wrote:
                >> :I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.
                >>
                >> :I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
                >> :using for a research project on programmers.
                >>
                >> That would be "self-selection", and such a proposal would not pass
                >> the ethics department at any reasonable university that I have
                >> heard of.[/color]
                >
                >
                >Walter is absolutely right. Without a properly selected and controlled
                >survey group, the results are meaningless.[/color]

                Not necessarily - a randomish sample also has meaning, provided you
                understand and document the nature of its randomness. Whats at least as
                important is the questions asked and how they're phrased.
                --
                Mark McIntyre
                CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
                CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt >

                Comment

                • osmium

                  #9
                  OT:Re: Help with research

                  "Mark McIntyre" Writes:
                  [color=blue][color=green]
                  >>Walter is absolutely right. Without a properly selected and controlled
                  >>survey group, the results are meaningless.[/color]
                  >
                  > Not necessarily - a randomish sample also has meaning, provided you
                  > understand and document the nature of its randomness. Whats at least as
                  > important is the questions asked and how they're phrased.[/color]

                  How about providing an example of a self selected sample where the results
                  are useful? As opposed to, interesting, say. Of course the questions are
                  important. Why bring that up??

                  I think this kind of sampling is done all the time and the results are
                  certainly readable, but I don't know what anyone can actually *do* with such
                  results. Perhaps one could refine the questions for a real survey to be
                  made later. Other than that, AFAIAC, self selected samples are interesting
                  but useless.

                  There was a show on PBS earlier this week on Kinsey, he used nonsensical
                  sampling techniques. And I suppose he made a lot of money out of it. But I
                  can't think of a single reliable inference one could make based on his
                  books.


                  Comment

                  • Mark McIntyre

                    #10
                    Re: Help with research

                    On 16 Feb 2005 09:00:12 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "Default User"
                    <defaultuserbr@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                    [color=blue]
                    >Walter Roberson wrote:[color=green]
                    >> In article <1108528479.256 484.86950@z14g2 000cwz.googlegr oups.com>,
                    >> elena <elena@monmouth .com> wrote:
                    >> :I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.
                    >>
                    >> :I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
                    >> :using for a research project on programmers.
                    >>
                    >> That would be "self-selection", and such a proposal would not pass
                    >> the ethics department at any reasonable university that I have
                    >> heard of.[/color]
                    >
                    >
                    >Walter is absolutely right. Without a properly selected and controlled
                    >survey group, the results are meaningless.[/color]

                    Not necessarily - a randomish sample also has meaning, provided you
                    understand and document the nature of its randomness. Whats at least as
                    important is the questions asked and how they're phrased.
                    --
                    Mark McIntyre
                    CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
                    CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt >

                    Comment

                    • Dave Vandervies

                      #11
                      Re: OT:Re: Help with research

                      In article <37he3qF5a4oraU 1@individual.ne t>,
                      osmium <r124c4u102@com cast.net> wrote:[color=blue]
                      >"Mark McIntyre" Writes:[/color]
                      [color=blue][color=green]
                      >> Not necessarily - a randomish sample also has meaning, provided you
                      >> understand and document the nature of its randomness. Whats at least as
                      >> important is the questions asked and how they're phrased.[/color]
                      >
                      >How about providing an example of a self selected sample where the results
                      >are useful?[/color]

                      Alumni income surveys?

                      Unless you mean statistically useful, and not just useful for what you're
                      trying to accomplish.


                      dave

                      --
                      Dave Vandervies dj3vande@csclub .uwaterloo.ca
                      In such cases you may need to step outside the C standard after all.
                      This will reduce its portability and thus often make it less useful,
                      even while making it more useful. --Chris Torek in comp.lang.c

                      Comment

                      • elena

                        #12
                        Re: OT:Re: Help with research

                        To answer as many of these questions as possible:

                        Yes, I am a software engineer with more than 25 years experience. Not a
                        spambot. I used my name as a sign-in because my name was very uncommon
                        in the US up to a few years ago (just a habit). Northcentral is an
                        accredited university that allows me to earn a PhD (I have Masters in
                        CS and Psychology) while still making a living (alghough given
                        off-shoring, this may change). Sampling of this sort is valid when the
                        population has certain characteristics . Self-selection is a limitation,
                        but one that I am willing to accept given that I'm only looking at 2
                        factors. This study concerns only Software Developers. This group
                        should consist mainly of software developers. For an interesting paper
                        on web research and the social sciences, see:



                        Comment

                        • Mark McIntyre

                          #13
                          Re: Help with research

                          On 16 Feb 2005 09:00:12 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "Default User"
                          <defaultuserbr@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                          [color=blue]
                          >Walter Roberson wrote:[color=green]
                          >> In article <1108528479.256 484.86950@z14g2 000cwz.googlegr oups.com>,
                          >> elena <elena@monmouth .com> wrote:
                          >> :I'm a Java/C++ developer who is also studying psychology.
                          >>
                          >> :I would really appreciate it if you would complete a survey that I'm
                          >> :using for a research project on programmers.
                          >>
                          >> That would be "self-selection", and such a proposal would not pass
                          >> the ethics department at any reasonable university that I have
                          >> heard of.[/color]
                          >
                          >
                          >Walter is absolutely right. Without a properly selected and controlled
                          >survey group, the results are meaningless.[/color]

                          Not necessarily - a randomish sample also has meaning, provided you
                          understand and document the nature of its randomness. Whats at least as
                          important is the questions asked and how they're phrased.
                          --
                          Mark McIntyre
                          CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
                          CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt >

                          Comment

                          • Alan Balmer

                            #14
                            Re: OT:Re: Help with research

                            On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:27:21 -0800, "osmium" <r124c4u102@com cast.net>
                            wrote:
                            [color=blue]
                            >"Mark McIntyre" Writes:
                            >[color=green][color=darkred]
                            >>>Walter is absolutely right. Without a properly selected and controlled
                            >>>survey group, the results are meaningless.[/color]
                            >>
                            >> Not necessarily - a randomish sample also has meaning, provided you
                            >> understand and document the nature of its randomness. Whats at least as
                            >> important is the questions asked and how they're phrased.[/color]
                            >
                            >How about providing an example of a self selected sample where the results
                            >are useful?[/color]

                            There may not be any ;-) However, I think *all* survey samples are
                            self-selected, in that people usually make the choice as to whether to
                            participate or not. Forced participation, I suspect, would result in
                            even more skewed results. The professional survey people claim that
                            they compensate for this effect, though I'm not convinced.
                            [color=blue]
                            > As opposed to, interesting, say. Of course the questions are
                            >important. Why bring that up??[/color]

                            Probably because the questions are the weakest part of any survey, and
                            can easily swamp any bias caused by poor sampling.[color=blue]
                            >
                            >I think this kind of sampling is done all the time and the results are
                            >certainly readable, but I don't know what anyone can actually *do* with such
                            >results. Perhaps one could refine the questions for a real survey to be
                            >made later.[/color]

                            Define "real survey." Not being sarcastic, I just don't know what
                            constitutes a useful survey, or how you prove it.
                            [color=blue]
                            > Other than that, AFAIAC, self selected samples are interesting
                            >but useless.
                            >
                            >There was a show on PBS earlier this week on Kinsey, he used nonsensical
                            >sampling techniques. And I suppose he made a lot of money out of it. But I
                            >can't think of a single reliable inference one could make based on his
                            >books.
                            >[/color]
                            You can infer that he made a bunch of money ;-)

                            --
                            Al Balmer
                            Balmer Consulting
                            removebalmercon sultingthis@att .net

                            Comment

                            • Alan Balmer

                              #15
                              Re: OT:Re: Help with research

                              On 16 Feb 2005 09:43:08 -0800, "elena" <elena@monmouth .com> wrote:
                              [color=blue]
                              >To answer as many of these questions as possible:
                              >
                              >Yes, I am a software engineer with more than 25 years experience. Not a
                              >spambot. I used my name as a sign-in because my name was very uncommon
                              >in the US up to a few years ago (just a habit). Northcentral is an
                              >accredited university that allows me to earn a PhD (I have Masters in
                              >CS and Psychology) while still making a living (alghough given
                              >off-shoring, this may change). Sampling of this sort is valid when the
                              >population has certain characteristics . Self-selection is a limitation,
                              >but one that I am willing to accept given that I'm only looking at 2
                              >factors. This study concerns only Software Developers. This group
                              >should consist mainly of software developers. For an interesting paper
                              >on web research and the social sciences, see:
                              >
                              >http://www.psychologie.unizh.ch/sowi...ipsReprint.pdf[/color]

                              A comment on the questions - The choices given are true, false, and
                              uncertain. Uncertain is not a good choice, and I answered as if it
                              meant "sometimes. "

                              Incidentally, you contribute to the self-selection problem by
                              selecting those who are (1) willing to give you an email address or
                              (2) willing to give you a false email address.

                              --
                              Al Balmer
                              Balmer Consulting
                              removebalmercon sultingthis@att .net

                              Comment

                              Working...