News: .NET framework source code available soon...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Chris Nahr

    #16
    Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 00:32:36 -0700, Peter Duniho
    <NpOeStPeAdM@Nn OwSlPiAnMk.comw rote:
    >You are already at risk for legal action, if you happen to produce code
    >that "looks" like their code.
    No, you are not.
    >They don't have to show you their source code for them to file legal
    >action on the basis of a copyright violation.
    Copyright does not cover duplication of function or even accidental
    recreation of the same exact program text, only intentional copying.
    Hence "copy"right .

    What you are thinking of are software _patents_ which is entirely
    different. Patents must be explicitly filed for specific pieces of
    functionality, they are not valid outside America and I think Japan,
    and they are subject to interpretation by a judge regarding whether
    the patented functionality is patentable at all.
    >Microsoft didn't need access to the Stacker source code for them to be
    >sued over DoubleSpace. All they needed was an implementation that
    >looked sufficiently like Stacker's implementation.
    No, what they needed was an implementation that duplicated Stacker's
    _patented_ functionality. See here:


    >Well, that's true of any published source code that carries an attached
    >license. Even regular "open source" stuff generally includes various
    >license requirements that can form the basis of a lawsuit of someone
    >believes you misused the source code.
    Unlike patents, however, such licenses only apply to people who
    actually acquired & used the software, and agreed to the license.

    Any license that tried to prevent the user from duplicating the
    software's functionality, patent-style, would be null and void. The
    power of licenses, like copyright, is restricted to the actual product
    as it is. They cannot regulate independent recreations.
    >So, for example, either you cannot look at any source code covered by
    >the GPL, or you must provide all of the disclosures and other
    >requirements made by the GPL, even if you did in fact not actually
    >intentionall y reuse the source code you looked at. If you want to
    >follow the legal liability philosophy you're stating, that is.
    That is correct. If you merely create _similar_ source code with an
    identical purpose you're fine, though. The license only covers the
    actual source code, not the function expressed by it. That's the
    realm of patents.
    >Not having any legal expertise, I wouldn't even try to make a claim as
    >to the reality of the situation. However, I suspect that fears of legal
    >action are highly over-inflated for a given individual, assuming no
    >actual misuse of the code happened (that is, assuming you didn't
    >actually copy the code or some non-obvious technique, that sort of thing).
    For independent individuals that is probably correct. However, Mono
    is a fairly high-profile project that needs a public website for
    coordination. Microsoft would damn well shut it down if they thought
    they're copying the .NET source code wholesale. Why else bother
    having any read-only clause in the license in the first place?
    --
    Stay ahead in World of Warcraft with expert guides, latest patch news, class tips, dungeon strategies, PvP builds, and The War Within updates—all in one place.

    Comment

    • Chris Nahr

      #17
      Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

      On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:26:35 +0100, Jon Skeet [C# MVP]
      <skeet@pobox.co mwrote:
      >Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
      >(parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both for
      >viewing and debugging into.
      That's pretty cool, especially that we can debug into the source code
      right from within Visual Studio. I guess that means Microsoft finally
      gave up the fight against Reflector. :)
      >I won't go into all the details here, as they're covered on Scott
      >Guthrie's blog:
      >
      >http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...ng-the-source-
      >code-for-the-net-framework-libraries.aspx
      Please turn off word wrap for URLs if possible. Viral marketing tip:
      Forte Agent never wraps URLs! Here's the clickable URL:


      --
      Stay ahead in World of Warcraft with expert guides, latest patch news, class tips, dungeon strategies, PvP builds, and The War Within updates—all in one place.

      Comment

      • Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

        #18
        Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

        Peter Duniho wrote:
        Jon Skeet [C# MVP] wrote:
        I'm sure the net will be buzzing with this news fairly soon, but
        just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

        Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
        (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both
        for viewing and debugging into.

        [...]
        Any comments?
        >
        You mean other than it seems that Microsoft is taking some of the
        best ideas from the open-source movement?
        >
        First they release a free development environment that has very few
        really important features missing, and now they are offering the
        actual source code for .NET?
        >
        As if that weren't great enough, an even cooler part is that the
        source will be copied on-demand according to the framework version
        you're actually using.
        >
        The one major downside I see is the potential for finding .NET
        applications where the author took the original .NET code and used
        that to create their own custom version of some .NET class, negating
        one of the primary benefits of using a framework: using the same
        well-tested, broadly-deployed component that everyone else is using.
        >
        But I'm guessing that the people who are likely to do that would
        probably find other ways to write bad code anyway. :)
        You can't touch the code, that's not allowed by the 'Reference
        license' this code is released under. So it's pretty much 'look, and
        forget what you saw'-code.
        I guess the one thing missing from this announcement is how this all
        relates to a project like Mono. It would be pretty awesome if
        Microsoft would allow the source code to be used for cross-platform
        implementations of .NET, and could dramatically decrease the lag of
        non-Windows .NET implementations behind the Windows releases.
        MS doesn't even allow you to fix bugs in the framework as you aren't
        allowed to rebuild it.

        Mono requires that developers who submit patches / changes have never
        looked at MS sourcecode. So if you have looked at rotor, you aren't
        allowed to submit patches, precisely because it would make Mono
        vulnerable for lawsuits.

        Now, why would they do that and why should that be different for a
        ..NET developer writing code for a project? Isn't that the same thing?
        Please realize that.

        FB

        --
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
        LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
        My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
        Microsoft MVP (C#)
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------

        Comment

        • Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

          #19
          Re: .NET framework source code available soon...

          Jordan S. wrote:
          Will I no longer need Lutz Roeder's Reflector? I was going to be
          learning that, but now I'm wondering what the value may be of his
          Reflector if we can now get right into the BCL source itself.
          >
          Thoughts ?
          If you don't accept the reference license, you have to use reflector.
          Reflector reverse engineers the IL, which makes you less vulnerable for
          lawsuits than the reference licensed code makes you.

          FB
          >
          "Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <skeet@pobox.co mwrote in message
          news:MPG.216def 3af6f6862e4eb@m snews.microsoft .com...
          I'm sure the net will be buzzing with this news fairly soon, but
          just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

          Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
          (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both
          for viewing and debugging into.

          I won't go into all the details here, as they're covered on Scott
          Guthrie's blog:


          ce- code-for-the-net-framework-libraries.aspx


          Any comments?

          -- Jon Skeet - <skeet@pobox.co m>
          http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
          If replying to the group, please do not mail me too


          --
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
          LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
          My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
          Microsoft MVP (C#)
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------

          Comment

          • Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

            #20
            Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

            Chris Nahr wrote:
            On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:26:35 +0100, Jon Skeet [C# MVP]
            <skeet@pobox.co mwrote:
            >
            Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
            (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both
            for viewing and debugging into.
            >
            That's pretty cool, especially that we can debug into the source code
            right from within Visual Studio. I guess that means Microsoft finally
            gave up the fight against Reflector. :)
            Doesn't Roeder work for MS nowadays? :)

            FB
            --
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
            LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
            My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
            Microsoft MVP (C#)
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Comment

            • Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

              #21
              Re: .NET framework source code available soon...

              On Oct 4, 11:26 am, "Frans Bouma [C# MVP]"
              <perseus.usenet NOS...@xs4all.n lwrote:
              Jordan S. wrote:
              Will I no longer need Lutz Roeder's Reflector? I was going to be
              learning that, but now I'm wondering what the value may be of his
              Reflector if we can now get right into the BCL source itself.
              >
              Thoughts ?
              >
              If you don't accept the reference license, you have to use reflector.
              Reflector reverse engineers the IL, which makes you less vulnerable for
              lawsuits than the reference licensed code makes you.
              I'm not sure that it does - I'd be very surprised if the licence
              for .NET didn't prohibit reverse engineering. I know reverse
              engineering is legal (despite the licence) in some countries for the
              purpose of compatibility testing, but I don't think it would help you
              if you were accused of copying the code itself.

              Jon

              Comment

              • Willy Denoyette [MVP]

                #22
                Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                "Frans Bouma [C# MVP]" <perseus.usenet NOSPAM@xs4all.n lwrote in message
                news:xn0fc1qaz8 5zsv005@news.mi crosoft.com...
                Chris Nahr wrote:
                >
                >On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:26:35 +0100, Jon Skeet [C# MVP]
                ><skeet@pobox.c omwrote:
                >>
                Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
                (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both
                for viewing and debugging into.
                >>
                >That's pretty cool, especially that we can debug into the source code
                >right from within Visual Studio. I guess that means Microsoft finally
                >gave up the fight against Reflector. :)
                >
                Doesn't Roeder work for MS nowadays? :)
                Sure he does, coming from MS Research and since 2002 on the Blend team.

                Willy.

                Comment

                • Chris Shepherd

                  #23
                  Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                  JJ wrote:
                  I hope Microsoft doesn't bundle the licence agreement for access to the
                  source code with the licence agreement for any other products like Visual
                  Studio 2008 or others. If they do, they can sue customers who have viewed the
                  source code for having done so and taken ideas from it. I wouldn't want to
                  view the source code for such a price. And for that reason, I wouldn't want
                  to be in a situation where if I had agreed to the licence agreement for, say,
                  VS2008, I would, by default, be also agreeing to the licence agreement for
                  the source code.
                  From what I've seen posted here/read it sounds as though it will be
                  entirely separate.
                  I actually loved .NET. Java is so slow doing everything. I haven't bothered
                  to learn Ruby or Python. I can't stand Linux for being so programmer
                  unfriendly. And I had left C++ behind for a long time.
                  I really don't find Java slow for anything but GUI stuff. I've written a
                  lot of web services and server-type applications in Java though. It also
                  rocks on cell phones. :)

                  As for Linux being "programmer unfriendly" I have to completely
                  disagree. Your later comment that most stuff has to be done on the
                  command-line is also really wrong, at least in the more recent versions
                  of distributions I've used (Ubuntu, Fedora Core, and OpenSuSE). I don't
                  want to start a holy war at all, but I would just say my experiences of
                  doing daily development on both platforms, Linux made my life as a
                  developer far and away easier than Windows did.
                  Obviously I'm not complaining about Windows dev, I live with it every
                  day at home and at work. :P

                  Chris.

                  Comment

                  • =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

                    #24
                    Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                    Peter Duniho wrote:
                    Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
                    >Peter Duniho wrote:
                    >>I guess the one thing missing from this announcement is how this all
                    >>relates to a project like Mono. It would be pretty awesome if Microsoft
                    >>would allow the source code to be used for cross-platform
                    >>implementatio ns of .NET, and could dramatically decrease the lag of
                    >>non-Windows .NET implementations behind the Windows releases.
                    >>
                    >The current consensus is, that if you look at this code provided by
                    >MS, you
                    >will no longer be able to contribute to Mono.
                    >
                    But what does Microsoft say? A lot of people, especially those who are
                    more inclined to work with open-source and especially with Linux, have a
                    tendency to view Microsoft as a monolithic, power-hungry, lawyer-driven
                    company. And as with all great myths, there's probably at least some
                    grains of truth behind that view.
                    >
                    But without any evidence that suggests Microsoft's own position is that
                    looking at .NET code causes a person to be legally unqualified to work
                    on Mono, it's just rumor-mongering and not necessarily by people who
                    normally view Microsoft in a positive light anyway.
                    Unless MS put it in writing in a legal binding form, then Mono and
                    other projects would still be worried.

                    I can be solved.

                    Before Java went GPL there was a Java Research License which
                    allows it.



                    Quote:

                    ***
                    B. Residual Rights. If You examine the Technology after accepting
                    this License and remember anything about it later, You are not
                    "tainted" in a way that would prevent You from creating or
                    contributing to an independent implementation, but this License grants
                    You no rights to Sun's copyrights or patents for use in such an
                    implementation.
                    ***

                    And FAQ answer from same link:

                    ***
                    18. Does the JRL prevent me from being able to create an independent
                    open source implementation of the licensed technology?

                    The JRL is not a tainting license and includes an express Òresidual
                    knowledgeÓ clause which says you're not contaminated by things you
                    happen to remember after examining the licensed technology. The JRL
                    allows you to use the source code for the purpose of JRL-related
                    activities but does not prohibit you from working on an independent
                    implementation of the technology afterwards. Obviously, if your
                    intention is to create an ÒindependentÓ implementation of the technology
                    then it is inappropriate to actively study JRL source while working on
                    such an implementation. It is appropriate, however, to allow some decent
                    interval of time (e.g. two weeks) to elapse between working on a project
                    that involves looking at some JRL source code and working on a project
                    that involves creating an independent implementation of the same technology.
                    ***

                    MS could do something similar.

                    Arne


                    Comment

                    • =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

                      #25
                      Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                      Chris Nahr wrote:
                      On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 00:32:36 -0700, Peter Duniho
                      <NpOeStPeAdM@Nn OwSlPiAnMk.comw rote:
                      >You are already at risk for legal action, if you happen to produce code
                      >that "looks" like their code.
                      >
                      No, you are not.
                      >
                      >They don't have to show you their source code for them to file legal
                      >action on the basis of a copyright violation.
                      >
                      Copyright does not cover duplication of function or even accidental
                      recreation of the same exact program text, only intentional copying.
                      Hence "copy"right .
                      >
                      What you are thinking of are software _patents_ which is entirely
                      different. Patents must be explicitly filed for specific pieces of
                      functionality, they are not valid outside America and I think Japan,
                      and they are subject to interpretation by a judge regarding whether
                      the patented functionality is patentable at all.
                      No. I think they are thinking of license violation.
                      >Well, that's true of any published source code that carries an attached
                      >license. Even regular "open source" stuff generally includes various
                      >license requirements that can form the basis of a lawsuit of someone
                      >believes you misused the source code.
                      >
                      Unlike patents, however, such licenses only apply to people who
                      actually acquired & used the software, and agreed to the license.
                      >
                      Any license that tried to prevent the user from duplicating the
                      software's functionality, patent-style, would be null and void. The
                      power of licenses, like copyright, is restricted to the actual product
                      as it is. They cannot regulate independent recreations.
                      I don't think I would like to base an important product on that
                      assumption.

                      Considering that MS and SUN seems to have a different opinion.

                      Arne

                      Comment

                      • Brian Gideon

                        #26
                        Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                        On Oct 3, 1:26 pm, Jon Skeet [C# MVP] <sk...@pobox.co mwrote:
                        I'm sure the net will be buzzing with this news fairly soon, but just
                        in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:
                        >
                        Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
                        (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both for
                        viewing and debugging into.
                        >
                        I won't go into all the details here, as they're covered on Scott
                        Guthrie's blog:
                        >

                        code-for-the-net-framework-libraries.aspx
                        >
                        Any comments?
                        >
                        --
                        Jon Skeet - <sk...@pobox.co m>http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog:http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
                        If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
                        That's pretty cool. Just the other day I was trying to figure out the
                        runtime complexity on one of the methods in the BCL using Reflector.
                        The code it generates, although good, is still hard to follow so
                        having the actual code will be helpful.

                        Comment

                        • Chris Nahr

                          #27
                          Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                          On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:28:05 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.d k>
                          wrote:
                          >What you are thinking of are software _patents_ which is entirely
                          >different. Patents must be explicitly filed for specific pieces of
                          >functionalit y, they are not valid outside America and I think Japan,
                          >and they are subject to interpretation by a judge regarding whether
                          >the patented functionality is patentable at all.
                          >
                          >No. I think they are thinking of license violation.
                          Who is "they"? If you're talking about me, I can assure you that
                          judges do have to decide whether a patent is valid. The US patent
                          office merrily hands out patents for just about anything these days,
                          which is why patents need to be tested in court.
                          >Any license that tried to prevent the user from duplicating the
                          >software's functionality, patent-style, would be null and void. The
                          >power of licenses, like copyright, is restricted to the actual product
                          >as it is. They cannot regulate independent recreations.
                          >
                          >I don't think I would like to base an important product on that
                          >assumption.
                          >
                          >Considering that MS and SUN seems to have a different opinion.
                          What are you talking about? And would you base your products
                          exclusively on Microsoft's and Sun's "opinions" even if they are in
                          conflict with the law? Because that's what you seem to be saying.
                          --
                          Stay ahead in World of Warcraft with expert guides, latest patch news, class tips, dungeon strategies, PvP builds, and The War Within updates—all in one place.

                          Comment

                          • Laura T.

                            #28
                            Re: .NET framework source code available soon...


                            "Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <skeet@pobox.co mha scritto nel messaggio
                            news:1191496541 .268162.106670@ n39g2000hsh.goo glegroups.com.. .
                            On Oct 4, 11:26 am, "Frans Bouma [C# MVP]"
                            <perseus.usenet NOS...@xs4all.n lwrote:
                            >Jordan S. wrote:
                            Will I no longer need Lutz Roeder's Reflector? I was going to be
                            learning that, but now I'm wondering what the value may be of his
                            Reflector if we can now get right into the BCL source itself.
                            >>
                            Thoughts ?
                            >>
                            > If you don't accept the reference license, you have to use
                            >reflector.
                            >Reflector reverse engineers the IL, which makes you less vulnerable for
                            >lawsuits than the reference licensed code makes you.
                            >
                            I'm not sure that it does - I'd be very surprised if the licence
                            for .NET didn't prohibit reverse engineering. I know reverse
                            engineering is legal (despite the licence) in some countries for the
                            purpose of compatibility testing, but I don't think it would help you
                            if you were accused of copying the code itself.
                            >
                            Jon
                            Well, then this might surprise you. I just installed dotnetfx.exe from the
                            msdn site, and the only EULA that I must agree does not even mention reverse
                            engineering. As an end-user, I have accepted only this EULA, and if I
                            happend to have Reflector on my machine, it's just casual. :-)

                            The EULA is also here,
                            http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms994405.aspx

                            Comment

                            • Willy Denoyette [MVP]

                              #29
                              Re: .NET framework source code available soon...

                              "Laura T." <LT_stop@yahoo. comwrote in message
                              news:urcytTqBIH A.324@TK2MSFTNG P04.phx.gbl...
                              >
                              "Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <skeet@pobox.co mha scritto nel messaggio
                              news:1191496541 .268162.106670@ n39g2000hsh.goo glegroups.com.. .
                              >On Oct 4, 11:26 am, "Frans Bouma [C# MVP]"
                              ><perseus.usene tNOS...@xs4all. nlwrote:
                              >>Jordan S. wrote:
                              >Will I no longer need Lutz Roeder's Reflector? I was going to be
                              >learning that, but now I'm wondering what the value may be of his
                              >Reflector if we can now get right into the BCL source itself.
                              >>>
                              >Thoughts ?
                              >>>
                              >> If you don't accept the reference license, you have to use
                              >>reflector.
                              >>Reflector reverse engineers the IL, which makes you less vulnerable for
                              >>lawsuits than the reference licensed code makes you.
                              >>
                              >I'm not sure that it does - I'd be very surprised if the licence
                              >for .NET didn't prohibit reverse engineering. I know reverse
                              >engineering is legal (despite the licence) in some countries for the
                              >purpose of compatibility testing, but I don't think it would help you
                              >if you were accused of copying the code itself.
                              >>
                              >Jon
                              >
                              Well, then this might surprise you. I just installed dotnetfx.exe from the
                              msdn site, and the only EULA that I must agree does not even mention
                              reverse engineering. As an end-user, I have accepted only this EULA, and
                              if I happend to have Reflector on my machine, it's just casual. :-)
                              >
                              The EULA is also here,
                              http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms994405.aspx
                              >

                              Note that this is a supplemental EULA , maybe you should read your OS
                              product EULA first ;-)

                              Willy.

                              Comment

                              • Cor Ligthert[MVP]

                                #30
                                Re: .NET framework source code available soon...

                                Frans,

                                AFAIK do the laws of the EU not allow explicitily forbidding of reverse
                                enginering.

                                However it is not so difficult to do that implecitely.

                                Cor

                                Comment

                                Working...