News: .NET framework source code available soon...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

    #1

    News: .NET framework source code available soon...

    I'm sure the net will be buzzing with this news fairly soon, but just
    in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

    Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
    (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both for
    viewing and debugging into.

    I won't go into all the details here, as they're covered on Scott
    Guthrie's blog:


    code-for-the-net-framework-libraries.aspx


    Any comments?

    --
    Jon Skeet - <skeet@pobox.co m>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
    If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
  • Peter Duniho

    #2
    Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

    Jon Skeet [C# MVP] wrote:
    I'm sure the net will be buzzing with this news fairly soon, but just
    in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:
    >
    Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
    (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both for
    viewing and debugging into.
    >
    [...]
    Any comments?
    You mean other than it seems that Microsoft is taking some of the best
    ideas from the open-source movement?

    First they release a free development environment that has very few
    really important features missing, and now they are offering the actual
    source code for .NET?

    As if that weren't great enough, an even cooler part is that the source
    will be copied on-demand according to the framework version you're
    actually using.

    The one major downside I see is the potential for finding .NET
    applications where the author took the original .NET code and used that
    to create their own custom version of some .NET class, negating one of
    the primary benefits of using a framework: using the same well-tested,
    broadly-deployed component that everyone else is using.

    But I'm guessing that the people who are likely to do that would
    probably find other ways to write bad code anyway. :)

    I guess the one thing missing from this announcement is how this all
    relates to a project like Mono. It would be pretty awesome if Microsoft
    would allow the source code to be used for cross-platform
    implementations of .NET, and could dramatically decrease the lag of
    non-Windows .NET implementations behind the Windows releases.

    Pete

    Comment

    • John Duval

      #3
      Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

      On Oct 3, 2:26 pm, Jon Skeet [C# MVP] <sk...@pobox.co mwrote:
      I'm sure the net will be buzzing with this news fairly soon, but just
      in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:
      >
      Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
      (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both for
      viewing and debugging into.
      >
      I won't go into all the details here, as they're covered on Scott
      Guthrie's blog:
      >

      code-for-the-net-framework-libraries.aspx
      >
      Any comments?
      >
      --
      Jon Skeet - <sk...@pobox.co m>http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog:http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
      If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
      That's great news... it looks like quite a bit of the framework source
      is going to be released. Did you see any mention of parts that they
      are *not* planning to release? Scott's article made it sound like
      they would be releasing more and more over time.

      Comment

      • Marc Gravell

        #4
        Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

        Well, that (esp. comment) will make debugging easier... I've grown
        weary of trying to infer intent of some obscure corner via reflector!

        Intersting times ;-p

        Marc

        Comment

        • Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

          #5
          Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

          John Duval <JohnMDuval@gma il.comwrote:

          <snip>
          That's great news... it looks like quite a bit of the framework source
          is going to be released. Did you see any mention of parts that they
          are *not* planning to release? Scott's article made it sound like
          they would be releasing more and more over time.
          I suspect it's mostly just a matter of time at the moment. I'm sure
          there will be *some* bits they won't release but hopefully they'll be
          few and far between.

          --
          Jon Skeet - <skeet@pobox.co m>
          http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
          If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

          Comment

          • Jon Harrop

            #6
            Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

            Jon Skeet [C# MVP] wrote:
            Any comments?
            Wow! :-)

            --
            Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy
            Business Das perfekte Beratungsgespräch: Tipps und Tricks Sabine Henschel4. Juli 2024 Business Mindset Coach: Ihr Schlüssel zu einem neuen Denken Sabine Henschel4. Juli 2024 Familie Kollegiale Beratung in der Pflege: Zusammen stark Sabine Henschel3. Juli 2024 Familie Was kostet eine Beratung beim Notar wegen Erbrecht: Ein Ratgeber Sabine Henschel2. Juli 2024 Business Was kostet eine

            Comment

            • Jordan S.

              #7
              Re: .NET framework source code available soon...

              Will I no longer need Lutz Roeder's Reflector? I was going to be learning
              that, but now I'm wondering what the value may be of his Reflector if we can
              now get right into the BCL source itself.

              Thoughts ?




              "Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <skeet@pobox.co mwrote in message
              news:MPG.216def 3af6f6862e4eb@m snews.microsoft .com...
              I'm sure the net will be buzzing with this news fairly soon, but just
              in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:
              >
              Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
              (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both for
              viewing and debugging into.
              >
              I won't go into all the details here, as they're covered on Scott
              Guthrie's blog:
              >

              code-for-the-net-framework-libraries.aspx
              >
              >
              Any comments?
              >
              --
              Jon Skeet - <skeet@pobox.co m>
              http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
              If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

              Comment

              • Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

                #8
                Re: .NET framework source code available soon...

                Jordan S. <A@B.comwrote :
                Will I no longer need Lutz Roeder's Reflector? I was going to be learning
                that, but now I'm wondering what the value may be of his Reflector if we can
                now get right into the BCL source itself.
                >
                Thoughts ?
                Well, there are some other reasons to use Reflector. It does some funky
                analysis of use (which I suspect won't be available in VS2008) and I
                find it handy for analyzing the IL my own assemblies - a nicer
                interface than ildasm, basically.

                However, it'll certainly get a lot *less* use now...

                --
                Jon Skeet - <skeet@pobox.co m>
                http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
                If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

                Comment

                • Marc Gravell

                  #9
                  Re: .NET framework source code available soon...

                  Well, there are some other reasons to use Reflector.

                  Agreed; it will still be to first tool I turn to when I need to use
                  Reflection.Emit (which is thankfully rare) - i.e. write something
                  indicative in C#, and investigate the IL via Reflector. Simply, it is
                  just a lot friendlier than ILDASM ;-p

                  Plus of course trying to figure out why some non-MS 3rd-party code
                  isn't working as expected...

                  Marc

                  Comment

                  • =?Utf-8?B?Sko=?=

                    #10
                    Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                    I hope Microsoft doesn't bundle the licence agreement for access to the
                    source code with the licence agreement for any other products like Visual
                    Studio 2008 or others. If they do, they can sue customers who have viewed the
                    source code for having done so and taken ideas from it. I wouldn't want to
                    view the source code for such a price. And for that reason, I wouldn't want
                    to be in a situation where if I had agreed to the licence agreement for, say,
                    VS2008, I would, by default, be also agreeing to the licence agreement for
                    the source code.

                    I think I see a future where I'll be doing all my .NET development with
                    Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 if Microsoft should follow such a
                    path.

                    I actually loved .NET. Java is so slow doing everything. I haven't bothered
                    to learn Ruby or Python. I can't stand Linux for being so programmer
                    unfriendly. And I had left C++ behind for a long time.

                    I thought Microsoft was a company for software developers. I have been using
                    their technologies for over 13 years. Now, I think my programming days are
                    almost over. Unless I learn Ruby or Python, which are not that mainstream.
                    Nevertheless, I hope I can implement my ideas using them since I love coding
                    and it's all I want to do.

                    JJ

                    "Peter Duniho" wrote:
                    Jon Skeet [C# MVP] wrote:
                    I'm sure the net will be buzzing with this news fairly soon, but just
                    in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

                    Microsoft are going to make the source code for the .NET framework
                    (parts of it, including the BCL, ASP.NET and LINQ) available both for
                    viewing and debugging into.

                    [...]
                    Any comments?
                    >
                    You mean other than it seems that Microsoft is taking some of the best
                    ideas from the open-source movement?
                    >
                    First they release a free development environment that has very few
                    really important features missing, and now they are offering the actual
                    source code for .NET?
                    >
                    As if that weren't great enough, an even cooler part is that the source
                    will be copied on-demand according to the framework version you're
                    actually using.
                    >
                    The one major downside I see is the potential for finding .NET
                    applications where the author took the original .NET code and used that
                    to create their own custom version of some .NET class, negating one of
                    the primary benefits of using a framework: using the same well-tested,
                    broadly-deployed component that everyone else is using.
                    >
                    But I'm guessing that the people who are likely to do that would
                    probably find other ways to write bad code anyway. :)
                    >
                    I guess the one thing missing from this announcement is how this all
                    relates to a project like Mono. It would be pretty awesome if Microsoft
                    would allow the source code to be used for cross-platform
                    implementations of .NET, and could dramatically decrease the lag of
                    non-Windows .NET implementations behind the Windows releases.
                    >
                    Pete
                    >

                    Comment

                    • Jon Harrop

                      #11
                      Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                      JJ wrote:
                      When you use or develop for Linux, most things have to done using command
                      line tools, which I avoid if I can.
                      I agree completely. However, I'm using F#, LINQ and the C FFI and these
                      contain several tools that only work from the command line. Moreover, DOS
                      sucks compared to bash. :-)
                      And is this the only point you thought you could comment on from my
                      posting?
                      You make your position sound bad but mine is arguably worse. Some of our
                      products will only work if we break their license agreement. That's hardly
                      going to endear me to the platform...

                      --
                      Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy
                      Business Das perfekte Beratungsgespräch: Tipps und Tricks Sabine Henschel4. Juli 2024 Business Mindset Coach: Ihr Schlüssel zu einem neuen Denken Sabine Henschel4. Juli 2024 Familie Kollegiale Beratung in der Pflege: Zusammen stark Sabine Henschel3. Juli 2024 Familie Was kostet eine Beratung beim Notar wegen Erbrecht: Ein Ratgeber Sabine Henschel2. Juli 2024 Business Was kostet eine

                      Comment

                      • Scott Gifford

                        #12
                        Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                        Peter Duniho <NpOeStPeAdM@Nn OwSlPiAnMk.comw rites:

                        [...]
                        The one major downside I see is the potential for finding .NET
                        applications where the author took the original .NET code and used
                        that to create their own custom version of some .NET class, negating
                        one of the primary benefits of using a framework: using the same
                        well-tested, broadly-deployed component that everyone else is using.
                        It looks like the license won't allow this (although that's not to say
                        it won't happen).

                        [...]
                        I guess the one thing missing from this announcement is how this all
                        relates to a project like Mono. It would be pretty awesome if
                        Microsoft would allow the source code to be used for cross-platform
                        implementations of .NET, and could dramatically decrease the lag of
                        non-Windows .NET implementations behind the Windows releases.
                        It looks like the license doesn't allow this, either.

                        It's a "view only" license, at least according to the information
                        here:

                        The page you are looking for doesn't exist or has been moved.


                        ----Scott.

                        Comment

                        • Scott Gifford

                          #13
                          Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                          JJ <JJ@discussions .microsoft.comw rites:
                          I hope Microsoft doesn't bundle the licence agreement for access to
                          the source code with the licence agreement for any other products
                          like Visual Studio 2008 or others. If they do, they can sue
                          customers who have viewed the source code for having done so and
                          taken ideas from it.
                          According to the information here:

                          The page you are looking for doesn't exist or has been moved.


                          there will be a separate, explicit license agreement step to access
                          the .NET source code, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

                          [...]
                          I can't stand Linux for being so programmer unfriendly.
                          As far as GUIs go, Eclipse is getting better, but a long time ago I
                          learned to stop worrying and love the command-line. :-)

                          ----Scott.

                          Comment

                          • Mads Bondo Dydensborg

                            #14
                            Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                            Peter Duniho wrote:
                            I guess the one thing missing from this announcement is how this all
                            relates to a project like Mono. It would be pretty awesome if Microsoft
                            would allow the source code to be used for cross-platform
                            implementations of .NET, and could dramatically decrease the lag of
                            non-Windows .NET implementations behind the Windows releases.
                            The current consensus is, that if you look at this code provided by MS, you
                            will no longer be able to contribute to Mono.

                            The problem is, that by looking at the code (and that is all you can,
                            really), you place yourself at risk for legal actions from MS against you,
                            if you happen to produce code that "looks" like their code.

                            This is a real risk, and should not be ignored. Please note, that MS license
                            does _not_ allow you to use their code, but actually place you in risk of
                            legal actions.

                            This probably wont be a problem to most, but as I have contributed 5-6 minor
                            patches to Mono and my company are producing more and more open source
                            software, I probably will not look at the MS code at all. Would be stupid
                            of me, really.

                            Regards,

                            Mads

                            --
                            Med venlig hilsen/Regards

                            Systemudvikler/Systemsdevelope r cand.scient.dat , Ph.d., Mads Bondo
                            Dydensborg
                            Dansk BiblioteksCente r A/S, Tempovej 7-11, 2750 Ballerup, Tlf. +45 44 86 77
                            34

                            Comment

                            • Peter Duniho

                              #15
                              Re: News: .NET framework source code available soon...

                              Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
                              Peter Duniho wrote:
                              >
                              >I guess the one thing missing from this announcement is how this all
                              >relates to a project like Mono. It would be pretty awesome if Microsoft
                              >would allow the source code to be used for cross-platform
                              >implementation s of .NET, and could dramatically decrease the lag of
                              >non-Windows .NET implementations behind the Windows releases.
                              >
                              The current consensus is, that if you look at this code provided by MS, you
                              will no longer be able to contribute to Mono.
                              But what does Microsoft say? A lot of people, especially those who are
                              more inclined to work with open-source and especially with Linux, have a
                              tendency to view Microsoft as a monolithic, power-hungry, lawyer-driven
                              company. And as with all great myths, there's probably at least some
                              grains of truth behind that view.

                              But without any evidence that suggests Microsoft's own position is that
                              looking at .NET code causes a person to be legally unqualified to work
                              on Mono, it's just rumor-mongering and not necessarily by people who
                              normally view Microsoft in a positive light anyway.

                              (Note: at this point it's been well-explained that the Microsoft license
                              would not permit the legal use of their source code as a foundation for
                              Mono or similar projects. So at this point, my original question has
                              been answered and I believe I understand that answer. I'm just
                              following the subsequent questions that now apply in that context).

                              So, no...you can't just port the .NET source code over to other
                              platforms. But where's the basis for the claim that you can't work on
                              Mono and also step through .NET code when you're debugging something else?
                              The problem is, that by looking at the code (and that is all you can,
                              really), you place yourself at risk for legal actions from MS against you,
                              if you happen to produce code that "looks" like their code.
                              You are already at risk for legal action, if you happen to produce code
                              that "looks" like their code. Especially if you work on Mono. Even
                              without source code, it is not difficult to reproduce in separate source
                              code the same algorithms used in a given piece of software, if that's
                              your intent and you use the compiled software you're trying to emulate a
                              as a reference.

                              Working on Mono, you are intentionally trying to reproduce the behavior
                              of the .NET Framework, and even without inspecting the compiled .NET
                              Framework code it would not be surprising if you should happen to on
                              occasion implement things in the same way they are implemented in .NET.
                              But how are you to prove to Microsoft in those cases that you didn't
                              actually use their compiled code as a reference?

                              They don't have to show you their source code for them to file legal
                              action on the basis of a copyright violation.

                              It seems to me that what puts you at risk for legal action (such as that
                              risk may be) is the fact that you work on Mono. This is true even
                              without the .NET source code.

                              Microsoft didn't need access to the Stacker source code for them to be
                              sued over DoubleSpace. All they needed was an implementation that
                              looked sufficiently like Stacker's implementation.
                              This is a real risk, and should not be ignored. Please note, that MS license
                              does _not_ allow you to use their code, but actually place you in risk of
                              legal actions.
                              Well, that's true of any published source code that carries an attached
                              license. Even regular "open source" stuff generally includes various
                              license requirements that can form the basis of a lawsuit of someone
                              believes you misused the source code.

                              So, for example, either you cannot look at any source code covered by
                              the GPL, or you must provide all of the disclosures and other
                              requirements made by the GPL, even if you did in fact not actually
                              intentionally reuse the source code you looked at. If you want to
                              follow the legal liability philosophy you're stating, that is.

                              Granted, in your specific case dealing with an open-source project your
                              own work may naturally already comply with the GPL, even if you don't
                              have a need to. But the more general "problem" still exists; it's
                              certainly not unique to Microsoft's publication of source code here.

                              As far as the question of actually being sued goes...

                              Not having any legal expertise, I wouldn't even try to make a claim as
                              to the reality of the situation. However, I suspect that fears of legal
                              action are highly over-inflated for a given individual, assuming no
                              actual misuse of the code happened (that is, assuming you didn't
                              actually copy the code or some non-obvious technique, that sort of thing).

                              Granted, there's a lot of gray area, but I think an individual worried
                              about being sued by Microsoft has, in most cases, a perception of their
                              value to Microsoft that is probably too high. :)
                              This probably wont be a problem to most, but as I have contributed 5-6 minor
                              patches to Mono and my company are producing more and more open source
                              software, I probably will not look at the MS code at all. Would be stupid
                              of me, really.
                              I think your concerns are overblown. But I'm not qualified to give
                              legal advice, so I won't try to argue the point. :) If you feel that
                              working on Mono and also in other situations using the .NET source code
                              are mutually exclusive, it's certainly true that that's the safest bet
                              if your highest priority is to avoid legal trouble at all costs.

                              Pete

                              Comment

                              Working...