Access Report Issue - Really Need Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • narpet
    New Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 69

    #1

    Access Report Issue - Really Need Help

    Hello all...

    My company generates reports in an Access database that are used as quotes for our customers. We have always then mailed (snail mail) the quotes to the customer.

    Now my boss wants to send these quotes via email. I made it so that he can save the reports as snapshots and then send those to our customers, but not everyone can view them. I thought that the snapshot viewer from Microsoft would allow any Windows user to view the reports, thus fixing our little problem. However, I have some customers who can't get the viewer to work... long story short... I can't (and don't have the resources) to physically go to the customer's location and make their pc run the viewer properly. So....

    My question is... does anyone have an idea for a way that we can send these quotes (Access reports) to customers without having to use a third party product like adobe creator? All of the other forms for saving an Access report just save the data, and not the report formatting. I need a way to create a jpeg, bitmap, or any other file format the is readily available in all version of Windows, without using anything from a third party.

    I appreciate any ideas that anyone may have...

    Thanks,
    Rodney
  • ADezii
    Recognized Expert Expert
    • Apr 2006
    • 8834

    #2
    Originally posted by narpet
    Hello all...

    My company generates reports in an Access database that are used as quotes for our customers. We have always then mailed (snail mail) the quotes to the customer.

    Now my boss wants to send these quotes via email. I made it so that he can save the reports as snapshots and then send those to our customers, but not everyone can view them. I thought that the snapshot viewer from Microsoft would allow any Windows user to view the reports, thus fixing our little problem. However, I have some customers who can't get the viewer to work... long story short... I can't (and don't have the resources) to physically go to the customer's location and make their pc run the viewer properly. So....

    My question is... does anyone have an idea for a way that we can send these quotes (Access reports) to customers without having to use a third party product like adobe creator? All of the other forms for saving an Access report just save the data, and not the report formatting. I need a way to create a jpeg, bitmap, or any other file format the is readily available in all version of Windows, without using anything from a third party.

    I appreciate any ideas that anyone may have...

    Thanks,
    Rodney
    From what I understand, the only way to accomplish the E-Mailing of Reports while retaining all their original formatting is to either have the Snapshot Viewer or Microsoft Access installed on the recipient's PC. You do state whether or not you are on a Intranet. If you are, simply install the Snapshot Viewer on the Server and have the Clients view the Reports via this route.

    Comment

    • MSeda
      Recognized Expert New Member
      • Sep 2006
      • 159

      #3
      I know you said you don't want a third party application but pdf print drivers work very well for what you need. I like cutePDF (its free). the user has to name the file and can change the location is my biggest complaint. but I like to print reports like invoices and quotes to the server. It serves a backup for important documents and is easy to search.
      I've been meaning to do a search for an activeX pdf print driver that works well and is in my price range (free) but I haven't gotten around to that yet, Maybe someone knows of one.

      CutePDF allows you to create PDF files from any printable document, save PDF forms using Acrobat Reader, make PDF booklet, impose, rearrange pages and much more.

      Comment

      • narpet
        New Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 69

        #4
        Thanks very much for all of your input. I tried the cutepdf and it works great. I am going to use that as a solution to our problem.

        Thanks everyone!
        Rodney

        Comment

        • MSeda
          Recognized Expert New Member
          • Sep 2006
          • 159

          #5
          I'm Glad it worked for you.
          I'd still be interested if anyone knows of any activeX controls that let you create pdfs programmaticall y.

          Megan

          Comment

          Working...