file attachment in vb 6 and access 2000

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ursus

    #1

    file attachment in vb 6 and access 2000

    Hi

    This is my second try... any takers?

    I have an application that is up and running. Everything is working
    perfectly. The application is written in VB 6 SP5 using Access 2000 to
    store the data.

    The users would now like to attach files (Word, Excel, etc) to the
    records. I have no idea how to go about this :o( I am a Lotus Notes
    programmer and in Notes I would have created a RichText field and they
    could load and edit their attachment in it. How do I do this in VB?

    I have tried to add a RichTextBox. When I drag and drop documents into
    the RTB all that happens is I get a link to the origional document.
    What I want is for the file to get copied into the RichTextBox. When
    the user drags it out it gets deleted. When they double-click it gets
    edited. Surely there is a control that has these basic functions?

    Any help would be appreciated - just a pointer in the right direction
    would be great ;o)

    Thanx in advance
    Ursus
  • Robert Berman

    #2
    Re: file attachment in vb 6 and access 2000

    [posted and mailed]

    ursus_schneider @hotmail.com (ursus) wrote in
    news:5b3d4d43.0 309270830.41bb4 a28@posting.goo gle.com:
    [color=blue]
    > Hi
    >
    > This is my second try... any takers?
    >
    > I have an application that is up and running. Everything is
    > working perfectly. The application is written in VB 6 SP5
    > using Access 2000 to store the data.
    >
    > The users would now like to attach files (Word, Excel, etc)
    > to the records. I have no idea how to go about this :o( I
    > am a Lotus Notes programmer and in Notes I would have
    > created a RichText field and they could load and edit their
    > attachment in it. How do I do this in VB?
    >
    > I have tried to add a RichTextBox. When I drag and drop
    > documents into the RTB all that happens is I get a link to
    > the origional document. What I want is for the file to get
    > copied into the RichTextBox. When the user drags it out it
    > gets deleted. When they double-click it gets edited. Surely
    > there is a control that has these basic functions?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated - just a pointer in the right
    > direction would be great ;o)
    >
    > Thanx in advance
    > Ursus
    >[/color]
    Why not simply carry the files' path as a string variable on
    your Access DB. That way, when you double click the path name
    you can read your file into the RTB.


    --
    Robert L. Berman
    Database consultant
    Vulcan Software Services

    Comment

    • ursus

      #3
      Re: file attachment in vb 6 and access 2000

      Hi Robert,

      thank you for your answer but we want to keep the file in the database
      and not in the file system.

      Basically what we want is a file repository! The documents are created
      externally and the just stored in the Access DB.

      Any other ideas?

      Ursus




      Robert Berman <Notthornmastr@ earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<EPmdb.171 52$pP6.12470@ne wsread2.news.at l.earthlink.net >...[color=blue]
      > [posted and mailed]
      >
      > ursus_schneider @hotmail.com (ursus) wrote in
      > news:5b3d4d43.0 309270830.41bb4 a28@posting.goo gle.com:
      >[color=green]
      > > Hi
      > >
      > > This is my second try... any takers?
      > >
      > > I have an application that is up and running. Everything is
      > > working perfectly. The application is written in VB 6 SP5
      > > using Access 2000 to store the data.
      > >
      > > The users would now like to attach files (Word, Excel, etc)
      > > to the records. I have no idea how to go about this :o( I
      > > am a Lotus Notes programmer and in Notes I would have
      > > created a RichText field and they could load and edit their
      > > attachment in it. How do I do this in VB?
      > >
      > > I have tried to add a RichTextBox. When I drag and drop
      > > documents into the RTB all that happens is I get a link to
      > > the origional document. What I want is for the file to get
      > > copied into the RichTextBox. When the user drags it out it
      > > gets deleted. When they double-click it gets edited. Surely
      > > there is a control that has these basic functions?
      > >
      > > Any help would be appreciated - just a pointer in the right
      > > direction would be great ;o)
      > >
      > > Thanx in advance
      > > Ursus
      > >[/color]
      > Why not simply carry the files' path as a string variable on
      > your Access DB. That way, when you double click the path name
      > you can read your file into the RTB.[/color]

      Comment

      • Robert Berman

        #4
        Re: file attachment in vb 6 and access 2000

        ursus_schneider @hotmail.com (ursus) wrote in
        news:5b3d4d43.0 309280316.257bb 857@posting.goo gle.com:
        [color=blue]
        > Hi Robert,
        >
        > thank you for your answer but we want to keep the file in
        > the database and not in the file system.
        >
        > Basically what we want is a file repository! The documents
        > are created externally and the just stored in the Access
        > DB.
        >
        > Any other ideas?
        >
        > Ursus
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Robert Berman <Notthornmastr@ earthlink.net> wrote in
        > message
        > news:<EPmdb.171 52$pP6.12470@ne wsread2.news.at l.earthlink.net[color=green]
        > >...
        >> [posted and mailed]
        >>
        >> ursus_schneider @hotmail.com (ursus) wrote in
        >> news:5b3d4d43.0 309270830.41bb4 a28@posting.goo gle.com:
        >>[color=darkred]
        >> > Hi
        >> >
        >> > This is my second try... any takers?
        >> >
        >> > I have an application that is up and running. Everything
        >> > is working perfectly. The application is written in VB 6
        >> > SP5 using Access 2000 to store the data.
        >> >
        >> > The users would now like to attach files (Word, Excel,
        >> > etc) to the records. I have no idea how to go about this
        >> > :o( I am a Lotus Notes programmer and in Notes I would
        >> > have created a RichText field and they could load and
        >> > edit their attachment in it. How do I do this in VB?
        >> >
        >> > I have tried to add a RichTextBox. When I drag and drop
        >> > documents into the RTB all that happens is I get a link
        >> > to the origional document. What I want is for the file
        >> > to get copied into the RichTextBox. When the user drags
        >> > it out it gets deleted. When they double-click it gets
        >> > edited. Surely there is a control that has these basic
        >> > functions?
        >> >
        >> > Any help would be appreciated - just a pointer in the
        >> > right direction would be great ;o)
        >> >
        >> > Thanx in advance
        >> > Ursus
        >> >[/color]
        >> Why not simply carry the files' path as a string variable
        >> on your Access DB. That way, when you double click the
        >> path name you can read your file into the RTB.[/color][/color]

        Ursus,

        Check out APPENDCHUNK and GETCHUNK. I would think 1.2GB would
        be sufficient to hold what you need. Look in VB HELP rather
        than the ACCESS help file.

        --
        Robert L. Berman
        Database consultant
        Vulcan Software Services

        Comment

        • Pieter Linden

          #5
          Re: file attachment in vb 6 and access 2000

          ursus_schneider @hotmail.com (ursus) wrote in message news:<5b3d4d43. 0309280316.257b b857@posting.go ogle.com>...[color=blue]
          > Hi Robert,
          >
          > thank you for your answer but we want to keep the file in the database
          > and not in the file system.
          >
          > Basically what we want is a file repository! The documents are created
          > externally and the just stored in the Access DB.
          >
          > Any other ideas?
          >
          > Ursus
          >[/color]
          The problem with storing the files inside the DB is that your DB is
          going to get very big pretty fast. When it goes bang, you risk losing
          all your files. You might want to read Larry Linson's FAQ on storing
          image files, as this is similar in a some ways:
          1. you want to be able to manipulate the files/search for them
          2. you want to view them from your DB.

          Comment

          • Pieter Linden

            #6
            Re: file attachment in vb 6 and access 2000

            ursus_schneider @hotmail.com (ursus) wrote in message news:<5b3d4d43. 0309280316.257b b857@posting.go ogle.com>...[color=blue]
            > Hi Robert,
            >
            > thank you for your answer but we want to keep the file in the database
            > and not in the file system.
            >
            > Basically what we want is a file repository! The documents are created
            > externally and the just stored in the Access DB.
            >
            > Any other ideas?
            >
            > Ursus
            >[/color]
            The problem with storing the files inside the DB is that your DB is
            going to get very big pretty fast. When it goes bang, you risk losing
            all your files. You might want to read Larry Linson's FAQ on storing
            image files, as this is similar in a some ways:
            1. you want to be able to manipulate the files/search for them
            2. you want to view them from your DB.

            Comment

            • Larry  Linson

              #7
              Re: file attachment in vb 6 and access 2000

              The sample databases illustrating three approaches for handling images in
              Access are at http://accdevel.tripod.com. Similar approaches might be used
              to handle other types of file, except that a Bound OLE frame is likely to be
              required for some types of document. You can't, of course, display just any
              document in an Image control -- but the _storage_ techniques apply.

              Larry Linson
              Microsoft Access MVP



              "Pieter Linden" <pietlinden@hot mail.com> wrote in message
              news:bf31e41b.0 309290827.5ae67 344@posting.goo gle.com...[color=blue]
              > ursus_schneider @hotmail.com (ursus) wrote in message[/color]
              news:<5b3d4d43. 0309280316.257b b857@posting.go ogle.com>...[color=blue][color=green]
              > > Hi Robert,
              > >
              > > thank you for your answer but we want to keep the file in the database
              > > and not in the file system.
              > >
              > > Basically what we want is a file repository! The documents are created
              > > externally and the just stored in the Access DB.
              > >
              > > Any other ideas?
              > >
              > > Ursus
              > >[/color]
              > The problem with storing the files inside the DB is that your DB is
              > going to get very big pretty fast. When it goes bang, you risk losing
              > all your files. You might want to read Larry Linson's FAQ on storing
              > image files, as this is similar in a some ways:
              > 1. you want to be able to manipulate the files/search for them
              > 2. you want to view them from your DB.[/color]


              Comment

              • Pieter Linden

                #8
                Re: file attachment in vb 6 and access 2000

                ursus_schneider @hotmail.com (ursus) wrote in message news:<5b3d4d43. 0309280316.257b b857@posting.go ogle.com>...[color=blue]
                > Hi Robert,
                >
                > thank you for your answer but we want to keep the file in the database
                > and not in the file system.
                >
                > Basically what we want is a file repository! The documents are created
                > externally and the just stored in the Access DB.
                >
                > Any other ideas?
                >
                > Ursus[/color]

                Ursus,
                I agree with Robert. You could do what you're proposing, I guess, if
                you use SQL Server. I don't think Access would be terribly stable for
                that. Once it gets big, performance would probably not be very
                pretty... What happens if you database crashes?

                Comment

                Working...