Suggest a reporting tool?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • David

    #1

    Suggest a reporting tool?

    Hi all,
    I am hoping someone can suggest a reporting tool that I can use
    with my program. Currently, I am using Crystal Reports. I use the
    reports strictly as a container that I dump data into. It does not
    connect directly to any data source. For each element of data that I
    am passing in, there is a corresponding formula field with the same
    element name. Thus I have a variable called "A1a" that has a value of
    "3", my program pushes into the Crystal Report to the formula {@A1a}
    the value of "3". Then, based upon that, I may have statements print
    out or simply make specified shadow boxes visible or suppress them.
    For the most part, this works really well. The problem comes with our
    flagship report, which has close to 2000 formula fields in Crystal and
    close to 8000 elements in the report that are based on the 2000
    formula fields. It will display the report fine, but crashes if you
    try to export to another format such as Word or Adobe (the two needed
    ones for me). I sent the report to Seagate and it crashed their
    systems as well. They said it is to much to export. That leads me to
    the question: Does anyone know of a report tool taht can do what I
    need?

    Dave
  • Stephane Richard

    #2
    Re: Suggest a reporting tool?

    You might want to look at Active Reports... by Data Dynamics
    ActiveReports is a complete reporting solution. Create advanced reporting web applications with rich controls. Try ActiveReports for free today.


    Product link is: http://www.datadynamics.com/Products...roductTOC.aspx

    It's reviewed here:

    Xtras.Net is a printed and an online catalog of 3rd party components and utilities for Microsoft Developers.


    internally, this one uses a dynamic approach to exporting which is limited
    only by system resources and not finite datatypes...I think it's a good
    alternative.
    --
    Stéphane Richard
    Senior Software and Technology Supervisor

    For all your hosting and related needs
    "David" <dhodgkins@ches tnut.org> wrote in message
    news:83b47ff1.0 309170455.3f7f0 1e@posting.goog le.com...[color=blue]
    > Hi all,
    > I am hoping someone can suggest a reporting tool that I can use
    > with my program. Currently, I am using Crystal Reports. I use the
    > reports strictly as a container that I dump data into. It does not
    > connect directly to any data source. For each element of data that I
    > am passing in, there is a corresponding formula field with the same
    > element name. Thus I have a variable called "A1a" that has a value of
    > "3", my program pushes into the Crystal Report to the formula {@A1a}
    > the value of "3". Then, based upon that, I may have statements print
    > out or simply make specified shadow boxes visible or suppress them.
    > For the most part, this works really well. The problem comes with our
    > flagship report, which has close to 2000 formula fields in Crystal and
    > close to 8000 elements in the report that are based on the 2000
    > formula fields. It will display the report fine, but crashes if you
    > try to export to another format such as Word or Adobe (the two needed
    > ones for me). I sent the report to Seagate and it crashed their
    > systems as well. They said it is to much to export. That leads me to
    > the question: Does anyone know of a report tool taht can do what I
    > need?
    >
    > Dave[/color]


    Comment

    • Steve Gerrard

      #3
      Re: Suggest a reporting tool?

      I second Stephane's recommendation. I have been using Active Reports for 4 years
      or so, in various in-house engineering applications, with multiple users around
      the country. I have thrown all kinds of things at it: run it with databases, run
      it with on-the-fly recordsets, run it totally unbound with tricky formatting
      event handlers and what not. One report uses the canvas feature to generate 5
      other reports and combine their pages into one big report. It can export PDF,
      RTF, and comma-separated text (readable by Excel). Works everytime.

      "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richa rd@verizon.net> wrote in message
      news:Z_Y9b.382$ Cs1.244@nwrdny0 2.gnilink.net.. .[color=blue]
      > You might want to look at Active Reports... by Data Dynamics
      > www.datadynamics.com
      >
      > Product link is: http://www.datadynamics.com/Products...roductTOC.aspx
      >
      > It's reviewed here:
      > http://www.avdf.com/june98/art_r002.html
      > http://www.vbxtras.com/products/activereports.asp
      >
      > internally, this one uses a dynamic approach to exporting which is limited
      > only by system resources and not finite datatypes...I think it's a good
      > alternative.
      > --
      > Stéphane Richard
      > Senior Software and Technology Supervisor
      > http://www.totalweb-inc.com
      > For all your hosting and related needs
      > "David" <dhodgkins@ches tnut.org> wrote in message
      > news:83b47ff1.0 309170455.3f7f0 1e@posting.goog le.com...[color=green]
      > > Hi all,
      > > I am hoping someone can suggest a reporting tool that I can use
      > > with my program. Currently, I am using Crystal Reports. I use the
      > > reports strictly as a container that I dump data into. It does not
      > > connect directly to any data source. For each element of data that I
      > > am passing in, there is a corresponding formula field with the same
      > > element name. Thus I have a variable called "A1a" that has a value of
      > > "3", my program pushes into the Crystal Report to the formula {@A1a}
      > > the value of "3". Then, based upon that, I may have statements print
      > > out or simply make specified shadow boxes visible or suppress them.
      > > For the most part, this works really well. The problem comes with our
      > > flagship report, which has close to 2000 formula fields in Crystal and
      > > close to 8000 elements in the report that are based on the 2000
      > > formula fields. It will display the report fine, but crashes if you
      > > try to export to another format such as Word or Adobe (the two needed
      > > ones for me). I sent the report to Seagate and it crashed their
      > > systems as well. They said it is to much to export. That leads me to
      > > the question: Does anyone know of a report tool taht can do what I
      > > need?
      > >
      > > Dave[/color]
      >
      >[/color]


      Comment

      Working...