Help required

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Martin Racette

    #1

    Help required

    Hi,

    I would like to create a program to keep track of all of DVD in my
    collection, but I do no know how I can do such a thing. I use to use Access
    to do this but Access 2007 refuse to use most of the forms that I need to
    get to the information.

    SO I thought that using VB Express 2008 I could do something that would do
    what I need, but I have no clue where to start

    --
    Thank You in Advance
    Merci a l'avance

    Martin

  • Patrice

    #2
    Re: Help required

    You could perhaps ask in a Access group about what you are missing in case
    it would be doable with Access...
    If you are new check try
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx

    Elese elaborate a bit about the exact problem (have you tried to create a
    form and add some simple code, or are you stuck at a particular step ?)

    --
    Patrice

    "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
    E7F0BCA4-F72F-42F7-AA8F-2048E172C034@mi crosoft.com...
    Hi,
    >
    I would like to create a program to keep track of all of DVD in my
    collection, but I do no know how I can do such a thing. I use to use
    Access to do this but Access 2007 refuse to use most of the forms that I
    need to get to the information.
    >
    SO I thought that using VB Express 2008 I could do something that would do
    what I need, but I have no clue where to start
    >
    --
    Thank You in Advance
    Merci a l'avance
    >
    Martin

    Comment

    • Martin Racette

      #3
      Re: Help required

      I tried it already, and I was told that it is impossible to do, since 2007
      remove some fonctionnality that were the in previous version

      I am stuck at the point of how do I keep the information, because now the
      only way is to keep it in memory, so as soon as I close the program I lose
      everything (which defate the purpose)

      "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
      news:%23mKC5R3i IHA.2304@TK2MSF TNGP05.phx.gbl. ..
      You could perhaps ask in a Access group about what you are missing in case
      it would be doable with Access...
      If you are new check try
      http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx
      >
      Elese elaborate a bit about the exact problem (have you tried to create a
      form and add some simple code, or are you stuck at a particular step ?)
      >
      --
      Patrice
      >
      "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
      E7F0BCA4-F72F-42F7-AA8F-2048E172C034@mi crosoft.com...
      >Hi,
      >>
      >I would like to create a program to keep track of all of DVD in my
      >collection, but I do no know how I can do such a thing. I use to use
      >Access to do this but Access 2007 refuse to use most of the forms that I
      >need to get to the information.
      >>
      >SO I thought that using VB Express 2008 I could do something that would
      >do what I need, but I have no clue where to start
      >>
      >--
      >Thank You in Advance
      >Merci a l'avance
      >>
      >Martin
      >
      >
      --
      Thank You in Advance
      Merci a l'avance

      Martin

      Comment

      • Lloyd Sheen

        #4
        Re: Help required


        "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.comwrote in message
        news:9CCC7244-B4CC-4F94-84EA-03CECED390E9@mi crosoft.com...
        >I tried it already, and I was told that it is impossible to do, since 2007
        >remove some fonctionnality that were the in previous version
        >
        I am stuck at the point of how do I keep the information, because now the
        only way is to keep it in memory, so as soon as I close the program I lose
        everything (which defate the purpose)
        >
        "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
        news:%23mKC5R3i IHA.2304@TK2MSF TNGP05.phx.gbl. ..
        >You could perhaps ask in a Access group about what you are missing in
        >case it would be doable with Access...
        >If you are new check try
        >http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx
        >>
        >Elese elaborate a bit about the exact problem (have you tried to create a
        >form and add some simple code, or are you stuck at a particular step ?)
        >>
        >--
        >Patrice
        >>
        >"Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
        >E7F0BCA4-F72F-42F7-AA8F-2048E172C034@mi crosoft.com...
        >>Hi,
        >>>
        >>I would like to create a program to keep track of all of DVD in my
        >>collection, but I do no know how I can do such a thing. I use to use
        >>Access to do this but Access 2007 refuse to use most of the forms that I
        >>need to get to the information.
        >>>
        >>SO I thought that using VB Express 2008 I could do something that would
        >>do what I need, but I have no clue where to start
        >>>
        >>--
        >>Thank You in Advance
        >>Merci a l'avance
        >>>
        >>Martin
        >>
        >>
        >
        --
        Thank You in Advance
        Merci a l'avance
        >
        Martin
        MS has a bunch of "Starter Kits" which includes a Movie Collection
        application. You could most likely take this as the starting point for your
        app.

        http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa700734.aspx

        LS

        Comment

        • Patrice

          #5
          Re: Help required

          You need to have a local store. It could be either a database (SQL Server or
          even an Access database). Try :
          http://visualbasic.about.com/od/lear.../aa050303a.htm or
          search for "access oledb adonet" in Google...

          What are those features you needed in Access ? Do you want to create a web
          application ? ("data pages" were dropped if I remember).

          "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
          9CCC7244-B4CC-4F94-84EA-03CECED390E9@mi crosoft.com...
          >I tried it already, and I was told that it is impossible to do, since 2007
          >remove some fonctionnality that were the in previous version
          >
          I am stuck at the point of how do I keep the information, because now the
          only way is to keep it in memory, so as soon as I close the program I lose
          everything (which defate the purpose)
          >
          "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
          news:%23mKC5R3i IHA.2304@TK2MSF TNGP05.phx.gbl. ..
          >You could perhaps ask in a Access group about what you are missing in
          >case it would be doable with Access...
          >If you are new check try
          >http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx
          >>
          >Elese elaborate a bit about the exact problem (have you tried to create a
          >form and add some simple code, or are you stuck at a particular step ?)
          >>
          >--
          >Patrice
          >>
          >"Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
          >E7F0BCA4-F72F-42F7-AA8F-2048E172C034@mi crosoft.com...
          >>Hi,
          >>>
          >>I would like to create a program to keep track of all of DVD in my
          >>collection, but I do no know how I can do such a thing. I use to use
          >>Access to do this but Access 2007 refuse to use most of the forms that I
          >>need to get to the information.
          >>>
          >>SO I thought that using VB Express 2008 I could do something that would
          >>do what I need, but I have no clue where to start
          >>>
          >>--
          >>Thank You in Advance
          >>Merci a l'avance
          >>>
          >>Martin
          >>
          >>
          >
          --
          Thank You in Advance
          Merci a l'avance
          >
          Martin

          Comment

          • Martin Racette

            #6
            Re: Help required

            One major problem with these starter kit, they do not work because they
            require SQL Express, and this does not work over her, it was always
            requirying something call sp_instance or something like that and I can not
            either create or use any SQL database from either VB Epress 2008 or C#
            Express 2008

            "Lloyd Sheen" <a@b.cwrote in message
            news:OqEkwa3iIH A.3400@TK2MSFTN GP03.phx.gbl...
            >
            "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.comwrote in message
            news:9CCC7244-B4CC-4F94-84EA-03CECED390E9@mi crosoft.com...
            >>I tried it already, and I was told that it is impossible to do, since 2007
            >>remove some fonctionnality that were the in previous version
            >>
            >I am stuck at the point of how do I keep the information, because now the
            >only way is to keep it in memory, so as soon as I close the program I
            >lose everything (which defate the purpose)
            >>
            >"Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
            >news:%23mKC5R3 iIHA.2304@TK2MS FTNGP05.phx.gbl ...
            >>You could perhaps ask in a Access group about what you are missing in
            >>case it would be doable with Access...
            >>If you are new check try
            >>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx
            >>>
            >>Elese elaborate a bit about the exact problem (have you tried to create
            >>a form and add some simple code, or are you stuck at a particular step
            >>?)
            >>>
            >>--
            >>Patrice
            >>>
            >>"Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de
            >>news: E7F0BCA4-F72F-42F7-AA8F-2048E172C034@mi crosoft.com...
            >>>Hi,
            >>>>
            >>>I would like to create a program to keep track of all of DVD in my
            >>>collection , but I do no know how I can do such a thing. I use to use
            >>>Access to do this but Access 2007 refuse to use most of the forms that
            >>>I need to get to the information.
            >>>>
            >>>SO I thought that using VB Express 2008 I could do something that would
            >>>do what I need, but I have no clue where to start
            >>>>
            >>>--
            >>>Thank You in Advance
            >>>Merci a l'avance
            >>>>
            >>>Martin
            >>>
            >>>
            >>
            >--
            >Thank You in Advance
            >Merci a l'avance
            >>
            >Martin
            >
            MS has a bunch of "Starter Kits" which includes a Movie Collection
            application. You could most likely take this as the starting point for
            your app.
            >
            http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa700734.aspx
            >
            LS
            --
            Thank You in Advance
            Merci a l'avance

            Martin

            Comment

            • Martin Racette

              #7
              Re: Help required

              What I needed was to be able to choose and actor(ess) name and have the
              whole listing from my collection, but this work only from the 1st name and
              did not worked afterward, also there is noway to add picture anymore in the
              database, all pictures do not show and only the name of the picture appears

              SO that is why I would like to create my own application that will do this.

              SQL databse are not an option, because there is something called sp_instance
              or something like that that was telling me that either I could not create a
              database nor use one from with either VB express 2008 or C# Express 2008

              As for the Access, I can not search Google, since the website does no show
              overhere

              "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
              news:uZtDMc3iIH A.5504@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...
              You need to have a local store. It could be either a database (SQL Server
              or even an Access database). Try :
              http://visualbasic.about.com/od/lear.../aa050303a.htm or
              search for "access oledb adonet" in Google...
              >
              What are those features you needed in Access ? Do you want to create a web
              application ? ("data pages" were dropped if I remember).
              >
              "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
              9CCC7244-B4CC-4F94-84EA-03CECED390E9@mi crosoft.com...
              >>I tried it already, and I was told that it is impossible to do, since 2007
              >>remove some fonctionnality that were the in previous version
              >>
              >I am stuck at the point of how do I keep the information, because now the
              >only way is to keep it in memory, so as soon as I close the program I
              >lose everything (which defate the purpose)
              >>
              >"Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
              >news:%23mKC5R3 iIHA.2304@TK2MS FTNGP05.phx.gbl ...
              >>You could perhaps ask in a Access group about what you are missing in
              >>case it would be doable with Access...
              >>If you are new check try
              >>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx
              >>>
              >>Elese elaborate a bit about the exact problem (have you tried to create
              >>a form and add some simple code, or are you stuck at a particular step
              >>?)
              >>>
              >>--
              >>Patrice
              >>>
              >>"Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de
              >>news: E7F0BCA4-F72F-42F7-AA8F-2048E172C034@mi crosoft.com...
              >>>Hi,
              >>>>
              >>>I would like to create a program to keep track of all of DVD in my
              >>>collection , but I do no know how I can do such a thing. I use to use
              >>>Access to do this but Access 2007 refuse to use most of the forms that
              >>>I need to get to the information.
              >>>>
              >>>SO I thought that using VB Express 2008 I could do something that would
              >>>do what I need, but I have no clue where to start
              >>>>
              >>>--
              >>>Thank You in Advance
              >>>Merci a l'avance
              >>>>
              >>>Martin
              >>>
              >>>
              >>
              >--
              >Thank You in Advance
              >Merci a l'avance
              >>
              >Martin
              >
              >
              --
              Thank You in Advance
              Merci a l'avance

              Martin

              Comment

              • Patrice

                #8
                Re: Help required

                Humm... Try :


                It looks plain wrong. Actually you can either store the image in the db or
                as a link to an external file...

                "works for the 1st name" is likely something wrong in your code (perhaps a
                filtering problem).

                I would really ask again in an Access group...

                -
                Good luck.

                "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
                2070D68E-F6C6-454E-BF24-22698FC1B444@mi crosoft.com...
                What I needed was to be able to choose and actor(ess) name and have the
                whole listing from my collection, but this work only from the 1st name and
                did not worked afterward, also there is noway to add picture anymore in
                the database, all pictures do not show and only the name of the picture
                appears
                >

                Comment

                • Martin Racette

                  #9
                  Re: Help required

                  Lets forget about Access, it was for a while a good system but it no longer
                  up to speed

                  So any idea how I could do what I am looking for

                  "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
                  news:uvqdzp3iIH A.4140@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
                  Humm... Try :

                  >
                  It looks plain wrong. Actually you can either store the image in the db or
                  as a link to an external file...
                  >
                  "works for the 1st name" is likely something wrong in your code (perhaps a
                  filtering problem).
                  >
                  I would really ask again in an Access group...
                  >
                  -
                  Good luck.
                  >
                  "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
                  2070D68E-F6C6-454E-BF24-22698FC1B444@mi crosoft.com...
                  >What I needed was to be able to choose and actor(ess) name and have the
                  >whole listing from my collection, but this work only from the 1st name
                  >and did not worked afterward, also there is noway to add picture anymore
                  >in the database, all pictures do not show and only the name of the
                  >picture appears
                  >>
                  >
                  >
                  --
                  Thank You in Advance
                  Merci a l'avance

                  Martin

                  Comment

                  • Martin Racette

                    #10
                    Re: Help required

                    I get an error that there is no programm that will let me integrate the
                    picture files

                    "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
                    news:uvqdzp3iIH A.4140@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
                    Humm... Try :

                    >
                    It looks plain wrong. Actually you can either store the image in the db or
                    as a link to an external file...
                    >
                    "works for the 1st name" is likely something wrong in your code (perhaps a
                    filtering problem).
                    >
                    I would really ask again in an Access group...
                    >
                    -
                    Good luck.
                    >
                    "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
                    2070D68E-F6C6-454E-BF24-22698FC1B444@mi crosoft.com...
                    >What I needed was to be able to choose and actor(ess) name and have the
                    >whole listing from my collection, but this work only from the 1st name
                    >and did not worked afterward, also there is noway to add picture anymore
                    >in the database, all pictures do not show and only the name of the
                    >picture appears
                    >>
                    >
                    >
                    --
                    Thank You in Advance
                    Merci a l'avance

                    Martin

                    Comment

                    • Patrice

                      #11
                      Re: Help required

                      So :
                      http://visualbasic.about.com/od/lear.../aa050303a.htm for a
                      start....

                      Ie you can use OleDb to access data stored in an Access Database from VB
                      2008.

                      Of course you'll have a learning curve forward to learn anout all that. Also
                      http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx should help in
                      getting started...

                      Good luck.

                      --
                      Patrice


                      "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
                      EDF27F78-0FE7-499B-95F4-865962C05281@mi crosoft.com...
                      Lets forget about Access, it was for a while a good system but it no
                      longer up to speed
                      >
                      So any idea how I could do what I am looking for
                      >
                      "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
                      news:uvqdzp3iIH A.4140@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
                      >Humm... Try :
                      >http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...472041033.aspx
                      >>
                      >It looks plain wrong. Actually you can either store the image in the db
                      >or as a link to an external file...
                      >>
                      >"works for the 1st name" is likely something wrong in your code (perhaps
                      >a filtering problem).
                      >>
                      >I would really ask again in an Access group...
                      >>
                      >-
                      >Good luck.
                      >>
                      >"Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
                      >2070D68E-F6C6-454E-BF24-22698FC1B444@mi crosoft.com...
                      >>What I needed was to be able to choose and actor(ess) name and have the
                      >>whole listing from my collection, but this work only from the 1st name
                      >>and did not worked afterward, also there is noway to add picture anymore
                      >>in the database, all pictures do not show and only the name of the
                      >>picture appears
                      >>>
                      >>
                      >>
                      >
                      --
                      Thank You in Advance
                      Merci a l'avance
                      >
                      Martin

                      Comment

                      • kimiraikkonen

                        #12
                        Re: Help required

                        On Mar 21, 6:49 pm, "Martin Racette" <rat7_2...@hotm ail.comwrote:
                        Hi,
                        >
                        I would like to create a program to keep track of all of DVD in my
                        collection, but I do no know how I can do such a thing. I use to use Access
                        to do this but Access 2007 refuse to use most of the forms that I need to
                        get to the information.
                        >
                        SO I thought that using VB Express 2008 I could do something that would do
                        what I need, but I have no clue where to start
                        >
                        --
                        Thank You in Advance
                        Merci a l'avance
                        >
                        Martin
                        Martin,
                        If you're not sure how to use SQL for storing your DVD collections,
                        then i'd suggest a basic and really working way.

                        Store collection in a listbox or listview control, then save the
                        content in a text file.

                        A basic sample would work for you:

                        Dim ItemArray(Me.Li stBox1.Items.Co unt - 1) As Object
                        Me.ListBox1.Ite ms.CopyTo(ItemA rray, 0)
                        Dim Data As String = Join(ItemArray, Environment.New Line)
                        My.Computer.Fil eSystem.WriteAl lText("c:\colle ction.txt", Data, False)

                        The parameters of WriteAllText method are up to you (append, data,
                        path...)

                        But remember that, your text file will get bigger and unresponsive due
                        to large amount of text lines over the time, then you may want to
                        create a new text file.

                        To get the content of textfile into your listbox:

                        Dim reader As String
                        reader = My.Computer.Fil eSystem.ReadAll Text_
                        ("c:\bookmarks. txt")
                        Dim strs() As String
                        strs = Split(reader, Environment.New Line)

                        For Each s As String In strs
                        ListBox1.Items. Add(s)
                        Next

                        As i stated, you can use this way if your must-do is urgent and
                        collection is not huge.

                        Hope this works




                        Comment

                        • Martin Racette

                          #13
                          Re: Help required

                          It's not that I am not sure how to use SQL, the problem is that I can not
                          create an SQL database, everythime that I attempt to I get an error message
                          about somthing called "sp_instanc e" or something like that.

                          "kimiraikko nen" <kimiraikkonen8 5@gmail.comwrot e in message
                          news:8f07d4df-9c66-4666-a5df-2c0948ccada8@s1 2g2000prg.googl egroups.com...
                          On Mar 21, 6:49 pm, "Martin Racette" <rat7_2...@hotm ail.comwrote:
                          Hi,
                          >
                          I would like to create a program to keep track of all of DVD in my
                          collection, but I do no know how I can do such a thing. I use to use
                          Access
                          to do this but Access 2007 refuse to use most of the forms that I need to
                          get to the information.
                          >
                          SO I thought that using VB Express 2008 I could do something that would do
                          what I need, but I have no clue where to start
                          >
                          --
                          Thank You in Advance
                          Merci a l'avance
                          >
                          Martin
                          Martin,
                          If you're not sure how to use SQL for storing your DVD collections,
                          then i'd suggest a basic and really working way.

                          Store collection in a listbox or listview control, then save the
                          content in a text file.

                          A basic sample would work for you:

                          Dim ItemArray(Me.Li stBox1.Items.Co unt - 1) As Object
                          Me.ListBox1.Ite ms.CopyTo(ItemA rray, 0)
                          Dim Data As String = Join(ItemArray, Environment.New Line)
                          My.Computer.Fil eSystem.WriteAl lText("c:\colle ction.txt", Data, False)

                          The parameters of WriteAllText method are up to you (append, data,
                          path...)

                          But remember that, your text file will get bigger and unresponsive due
                          to large amount of text lines over the time, then you may want to
                          create a new text file.

                          To get the content of textfile into your listbox:

                          Dim reader As String
                          reader = My.Computer.Fil eSystem.ReadAll Text_
                          ("c:\bookmarks. txt")
                          Dim strs() As String
                          strs = Split(reader, Environment.New Line)

                          For Each s As String In strs
                          ListBox1.Items. Add(s)
                          Next

                          As i stated, you can use this way if your must-do is urgent and
                          collection is not huge.

                          Hope this works





                          --
                          Thank You in Advance
                          Merci a l'avance

                          Martin

                          Comment

                          • Martin Racette

                            #14
                            Re: Help required

                            Everytime that I try to add an image I get an error about OLE

                            "THE OPEARTION ON THE OLE OBJECT FAILED, the OLE server may not be
                            registered, toregister the OLE Server, reinstall it"

                            I search the Office website for OLE Server, and there is nothing about it,
                            and that was something that was working out of the box with the previous
                            version of Access

                            "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/wrote in message
                            news:uvqdzp3iIH A.4140@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
                            Humm... Try :

                            >
                            It looks plain wrong. Actually you can either store the image in the db or
                            as a link to an external file...
                            >
                            "works for the 1st name" is likely something wrong in your code (perhaps a
                            filtering problem).
                            >
                            I would really ask again in an Access group...
                            >
                            -
                            Good luck.
                            >
                            "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotm ail.coma écrit dans le message de news:
                            2070D68E-F6C6-454E-BF24-22698FC1B444@mi crosoft.com...
                            >What I needed was to be able to choose and actor(ess) name and have the
                            >whole listing from my collection, but this work only from the 1st name
                            >and did not worked afterward, also there is noway to add picture anymore
                            >in the database, all pictures do not show and only the name of the
                            >picture appears
                            >>
                            >
                            >
                            --
                            Thank You in Advance
                            Merci a l'avance

                            Martin

                            Comment

                            Working...