Printing to various network printers...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Alex

    #1

    Printing to various network printers...

    Hi,

    I'm writing an app to run on a server, hopefully autmated, and every 5
    minutes it needs to hit a database and if any new records have been
    entered, print the record to a printer depending on certain criteria.
    I'm not sure if I'll handle timing through the app or through Windows
    Scheduler... but that's outside my question here.

    All our printers are Jetdirect compliant printers and on our network
    as \\printserver\p rintername or I can print directly to IP if that's
    an option. My goal is to have a table containing all the printers
    (whether by UNC or IP) and give each printer a unique ID, then a
    second table will contain the data to print plus a PrinterID field for
    VB so it knows which printer to send the output to.

    My question is within VB, how do I send the print job directly to a
    specific printer, bypassing the default printer? I did this years ago
    in VB6, but I've never done it in VB.Net. I'm usign VB 2005 also, and
    hopefully this'll be setup via Winforms.

    Thanks --

    Alex

  • kimiraikkonen

    #2
    Re: Printing to various network printers...

    On Jan 18, 5:28 pm, Alex <sama...@gmail. comwrote:
    Hi,
    >
    I'm writing an app to run on a server, hopefully autmated, and every 5
    minutes it needs to hit a database and if any new records have been
    entered, print the record to a printer depending on certain criteria.
    I'm not sure if I'll handle timing through the app or through Windows
    Scheduler... but that's outside my question here.
    >
    All our printers are Jetdirect compliant printers and on our network
    as \\printserver\p rintername or I can print directly to IP if that's
    an option. My goal is to have a table containing all the printers
    (whether by UNC or IP) and give each printer a unique ID, then a
    second table will contain the data to print plus a PrinterID field for
    VB so it knows which printer to send the output to.
    >
    My question is within VB, how do I send the print job directly to a
    specific printer, bypassing the default printer? I did this years ago
    in VB6, but I've never done it in VB.Net. I'm usign VB 2005 also, and
    hopefully this'll be setup via Winforms.
    >
    Thanks --
    >
    Alex
    Some links you may want to see:




    has good info on printing.

    That controls must let you to select a specific printer rather than
    default printer.

    Comment

    Working...