Screen size for winform apps

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • John

    #1

    Screen size for winform apps

    Hi

    I have been developing apps with screen size 800x600 for maximum
    compatibility. I am just wondering if I should start my newest app with
    screen size 1024x768. What is the commonly used standard?

    Thanks

    Regards


  • Bob Powell [MVP]

    #2
    Re: Screen size for winform apps

    If you intend to continue to target older operating systems and machines,
    stick with 800 * 600. If you target later systems either go for the
    1024*768, which is still small on many modern monitors, or try to make a
    totally resolution independant application.

    --
    --
    Bob Powell [MVP]
    Visual C#, System.Drawing

    Ramuseco Limited .NET consulting


    Find great Windows Forms articles in Windows Forms Tips and Tricks


    Answer those GDI+ questions with the GDI+ FAQ


    All new articles provide code in C# and VB.NET.
    Subscribe to the RSS feeds provided and never miss a new article.


    "John" <John@nospam.in fovis.co.ukwrot e in message
    news:Oj8m3TnNIH A.4272@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...
    Hi
    >
    I have been developing apps with screen size 800x600 for maximum
    compatibility. I am just wondering if I should start my newest app with
    screen size 1024x768. What is the commonly used standard?
    >
    Thanks
    >
    Regards
    >

    Comment

    • John

      #3
      Re: Screen size for winform apps

      Hi Bob

      Many thanks. How can I make my app resolution independent? Is there a
      reliable third party tool available to do that?

      Thanks

      Regards

      "Bob Powell [MVP]" <bob@spamkiller bobpowell.netwr ote in message
      news:59C03F01-612E-4735-8DE5-66BB2DE40115@mi crosoft.com...
      If you intend to continue to target older operating systems and machines,
      stick with 800 * 600. If you target later systems either go for the
      1024*768, which is still small on many modern monitors, or try to make a
      totally resolution independant application.
      >
      --
      --
      Bob Powell [MVP]
      Visual C#, System.Drawing
      >
      Ramuseco Limited .NET consulting

      >
      Find great Windows Forms articles in Windows Forms Tips and Tricks

      >
      Answer those GDI+ questions with the GDI+ FAQ

      >
      All new articles provide code in C# and VB.NET.
      Subscribe to the RSS feeds provided and never miss a new article.
      >
      >
      "John" <John@nospam.in fovis.co.ukwrot e in message
      news:Oj8m3TnNIH A.4272@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...
      >Hi
      >>
      >I have been developing apps with screen size 800x600 for maximum
      >compatibilit y. I am just wondering if I should start my newest app with
      >screen size 1024x768. What is the commonly used standard?
      >>
      >Thanks
      >>
      >Regards
      >>
      >

      Comment

      • Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

        #4
        Re: Screen size for winform apps

        "John" <John@nospam.in fovis.co.ukschr ieb:
        Many thanks. How can I make my app resolution independent? Is there a
        reliable third party tool available to do that?
        You could use splitter controls, docking, anchoring, and the
        tablelayoutpane l and flowlayoutpanel controls to make your controls resize
        if the form size gets changed.

        --
        M S Herfried K. Wagner
        M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
        V B <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/dotnet/faqs/>

        Comment

        • Phill W.

          #5
          Re: Screen size for winform apps

          John wrote:
          I have been developing apps with screen size 800x600 for maximum
          compatibility. I am just wondering if I should start my newest app with
          screen size 1024x768. What is the commonly used standard?
          These days, it's probably safe to /start/ at 1024x768 but I still know
          quite a few people running at 800x600. /Whatever/ size you choose to
          start from, stick to this rule : "build small, allow for more".

          It's far, /far/ easier to take a small window and get it to scale up
          nicely, to make use of a bigger screen, than it is to take a big one and
          try to squash it down again.

          HTH,
          Phill W.

          Comment

          • Kevin S Gallagher

            #6
            Re: Screen size for winform apps

            Sometimes the issue lays in accessibility, user is visually impaired and
            nothing technical is going to change this. We strive for 1024 mode if at all
            possible but three percent of our applications require 800x600.

            As others have mentioned, it's better to start small (800x600) if in doubt.


            "John" <John@nospam.in fovis.co.ukwrot e in message
            news:Oj8m3TnNIH A.4272@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...
            Hi
            >
            I have been developing apps with screen size 800x600 for maximum
            compatibility. I am just wondering if I should start my newest app with
            screen size 1024x768. What is the commonly used standard?
            >
            Thanks
            >
            Regards
            >

            Comment

            Working...