Problem connecting to an Access DB

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • =?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?=

    #1

    Problem connecting to an Access DB

    Hi,
    I am a newbe here and am working through some books on using ADO.Net.
    These database books were writen for VS2003. I have both VS2003 andVS2005.
    In VS2003 all works fine. Right click 'Data Connections', select add new
    connection, switch to 'Provider' tab and select
    Provider=Micros oft.Jet.OLEDB.4 .0, click Next, and browse to the Access mdf
    file and all is ok.
    In VS2005 this does not work! I right click 'Data Connections', select
    add new connection. The Add Connections dialog appears, the Data Source is
    preset to '.NET Framwork Data Provider for OLE DB'. I drop down the 'OLE DB
    Provider' and select 'Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider'. Click 'Data
    Links...', browse to the Access mdf file and hit ok. I test the connection
    and it is OK. I hit the Ok button to finish the process and get the
    following error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an
    object.

    Any/all help is greatly appreciated in advance.
    --
    Terry
  • =?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?=

    #2
    RE: Problem connecting to an Access DB

    This getting damn frustrating!
    I have read in the documentation that I can drag the .mdb file to solution
    explorer and get a connection, but when I try this I gfet the same error.
    The database icon is there but no schema file.
    I also read in the documentation that I can do the following:

    On the Data menu, click Add New Data Source.

    Select Database on the Choose a Data Source Type page.

    Select New Connection to create a new data connection.

    Note
    If the Data source is not Microsoft Access Database File, then select Change
    to open the Choose/Change Data Source dialog box, select Microsoft Access
    Database File, and then click Continue.


    The default provider is .NET Framework Provider for OLE DB. For more
    information, see Choose/Change Data Source Dialog Box.

    ******In the Database file name box, enter the path to the .mdb file, or
    click the Browse button to locate the database file.

    Problem is that is not where I am taken after chosing Access DataBase File -
    I am at a dialog asking for a connection string! And no matter what I put in
    there, I get an error message thaqts says :

    Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification
    starting at index 0.

    This should not be that hard! I can add ODBC data sources and sql data
    sources but an Access database. This works fine in VS2003 but not in 2005 -
    HELP!!!!
    --
    Terry


    "Terry" wrote:
    Hi,
    I am a newbe here and am working through some books on using ADO.Net.
    These database books were writen for VS2003. I have both VS2003 andVS2005.
    In VS2003 all works fine. Right click 'Data Connections', select add new
    connection, switch to 'Provider' tab and select
    Provider=Micros oft.Jet.OLEDB.4 .0, click Next, and browse to the Access mdf
    file and all is ok.
    In VS2005 this does not work! I right click 'Data Connections', select
    add new connection. The Add Connections dialog appears, the Data Source is
    preset to '.NET Framwork Data Provider for OLE DB'. I drop down the 'OLE DB
    Provider' and select 'Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider'. Click 'Data
    Links...', browse to the Access mdf file and hit ok. I test the connection
    and it is OK. I hit the Ok button to finish the process and get the
    following error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an
    object.
    >
    Any/all help is greatly appreciated in advance.
    --
    Terry

    Comment

    Working...