Add custom button on title bar

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Marcolino

    #1

    Add custom button on title bar

    Hi all,
    I need to add a custom button to title bar on a form in addition of a
    standard button. (Minimize/Maximize, close etc.)
    I need also to handle OnClick event of this button. I looked around
    google but i'm not able to find any example that can help me.

    Many thanks in advance for your help.

    Marco

  • Phill W.

    #2
    Re: Add custom button on title bar

    Marcolino wrote:
    I need to add a custom button to title bar on a form in addition of a
    standard button. (Minimize/Maximize, close etc.)
    Why?

    Unless you're doing something very, /very/ specialised, what does this
    gain you or, more importantly, your users that you /can't/ achieve in a
    more "standard" Windows way?
    I looked around google but i'm not able to find any example that can
    help me.
    Which ought to suggest that, perhaps, it's not a very good thing to do...

    Regards,
    Phill W.

    Comment

    • Marcolino

      #3
      Re: Add custom button on title bar

      On 2 Mag, 18:12, "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r...@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-k>
      wrote:
      Marcolino wrote:
      I need to add a custom button to title bar on a form in addition of a
      standard button. (Minimize/Maximize, close etc.)
      >
      Why?
      >
      Unless you're doing something very, /very/ specialised, what does this
      gain you or, more importantly, your users that you /can't/ achieve in a
      more "standard" Windows way?
      >
      I looked around google but i'm not able to find any example that can
      help me.
      >
      Which ought to suggest that, perhaps, it's not a very good thing to do...
      >
      Regards,
      Phill W.
      Hi Phil,
      I have my reason to do this. In deep I need to change the behavior of
      Maximize/Restore Button on a form.
      To make this I subclassed System message to a form and now i'm able to
      run my custom code. But after this, the Maximize button will not
      change to minimize.
      I tried with SetWindowLong and then SetWindowPos, but this change the
      button but also maximize the form and I do not need this.
      So I think to disable standard Maximize/restore button and to add a
      new customized one, so I'll be able to make whatever I want.
      I hope this is clear for you and the reason for may need.
      Many thanks for your attention.

      --Marco

      Comment

      • Ray Cassick

        #4
        Re: Add custom button on title bar



        "Marcolino" <marco.pozzuolo @gmail.comwrote in message
        news:1178119122 .492704.163840@ n76g2000hsh.goo glegroups.com.. .
        Hi all,
        I need to add a custom button to title bar on a form in addition of a
        standard button. (Minimize/Maximize, close etc.)
        I need also to handle OnClick event of this button. I looked around
        google but i'm not able to find any example that can help me.
        >
        Many thanks in advance for your help.
        >
        Marco
        >

        Comment

        • Phill W.

          #5
          Re: Add custom button on title bar

          Marcolino wrote:
          On 2 Mag, 18:12, "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r...@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-k>
          wrote:
          >Marcolino wrote:
          >>I need to add a custom button to title bar on a form in addition of a
          >>standard button. (Minimize/Maximize, close etc.)
          >Why?
          >>
          >Unless you're doing something very, /very/ specialised, what does this
          >gain you or, more importantly, your users that you /can't/ achieve in a
          >more "standard" Windows way?
          >>
          >>I looked around google but i'm not able to find any example that can
          >>help me.
          >Which ought to suggest that, perhaps, it's not a very good thing to do...
          >>
          >Regards,
          > Phill W.
          >
          Hi Phil,
          I have my reason to do this. In deep I need to change the behavior of
          Maximize/Restore Button on a form.
          Again, I ask .. why?

          *Every* other Windows application that shows these buttons (you /can/
          just hide them, BTW) behaves in exactly the same way. They have done
          for years and (hopefully) will continue to do so for years to come.
          Users are /familiar/ with this and "expect" [all] their applications to
          work this way.

          If you change this behaviour, especially if you are tinkering with an
          area of the window that is normally /outside/ of an application's
          control and should be the same for /every/ window shown to the user,
          then you're going to confuse and alienate your user community.
          the Maximize button will not change to minimize.
          And I should hope not!
          If I click a Maximise button on any window, I expect that window to
          maximise itself. Your application is going to do something different?
          Expect to be flooded with "bug reports" from your users.

          Take a step back for your current problem and tell us what it is that
          you want to /achieve/ (not how). Why do you want to change the
          behaviour of these buttons? We might be able to give you a more
          "standard" (i.e. more familiar, user-friendly, etc.) alternative.

          Regards,
          Phill W.

          Comment

          • Mythran

            #6
            Re: Add custom button on title bar



            "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r-d-@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-kwrote in message
            news:f1claa$eif $1@south.jnrs.j a.net...
            Marcolino wrote:
            >On 2 Mag, 18:12, "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r...@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-k>
            >wrote:
            >>Marcolino wrote:
            >>>I need to add a custom button to title bar on a form in addition of a
            >>>standard button. (Minimize/Maximize, close etc.)
            >>Why?
            >>>
            >>Unless you're doing something very, /very/ specialised, what does this
            >>gain you or, more importantly, your users that you /can't/ achieve in a
            >>more "standard" Windows way?
            >>>
            >>>I looked around google but i'm not able to find any example that can
            >>>help me.
            >>Which ought to suggest that, perhaps, it's not a very good thing to
            >>do...
            >>>
            >>Regards,
            >> Phill W.
            >>
            >Hi Phil,
            >I have my reason to do this. In deep I need to change the behavior of
            >Maximize/Restore Button on a form.
            >
            Again, I ask .. why?
            >
            *Every* other Windows application that shows these buttons (you /can/ just
            hide them, BTW) behaves in exactly the same way. They have done for years
            and (hopefully) will continue to do so for years to come. Users are
            /familiar/ with this and "expect" [all] their applications to work this
            way.
            >
            Not really Phill. I have used several windows applications that contain
            custom titlebar buttons. Hmm, I believe most of these apps were installed
            via video card bundled software and they allow you to do many things with
            the "window" that has nothing to do with the application. Of course, this
            was a modification to ALL applications installed, and not just it's own
            application. The button I am remember for 1 case was actually a context
            menu when you clicked on it and allowed you to change the resolution of the
            window, size, colors, etc. Pretty nifty for the advanced use...

            Mythran


            Comment

            • rowe_newsgroups

              #7
              Re: Add custom button on title bar

              On May 3, 11:46 am, "Mythran" <kip_pot...@hot mail.comwrote:
              "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r...@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-kwrote in message
              >
              news:f1claa$eif $1@south.jnrs.j a.net...
              >
              >
              >
              Marcolino wrote:
              On 2 Mag, 18:12, "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r...@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-k>
              wrote:
              >Marcolino wrote:
              >>I need to add a custom button to title bar on a form in addition of a
              >>standard button. (Minimize/Maximize, close etc.)
              >Why?
              >
              >Unless you're doing something very, /very/ specialised, what does this
              >gain you or, more importantly, your users that you /can't/ achieve in a
              >more "standard" Windows way?
              >
              >>I looked around google but i'm not able to find any example that can
              >>help me.
              >Which ought to suggest that, perhaps, it's not a very good thing to
              >do...
              >
              >Regards,
              > Phill W.
              >
              Hi Phil,
              I have my reason to do this. In deep I need to change the behavior of
              Maximize/Restore Button on a form.
              >
              Again, I ask .. why?
              >
              *Every* other Windows application that shows these buttons (you /can/ just
              hide them, BTW) behaves in exactly the same way. They have done for years
              and (hopefully) will continue to do so for years to come. Users are
              /familiar/ with this and "expect" [all] their applications to work this
              way.
              >
              Not really Phill. I have used several windows applications that contain
              custom titlebar buttons. Hmm, I believe most of these apps were installed
              via video card bundled software and they allow you to do many things with
              the "window" that has nothing to do with the application. Of course, this
              was a modification to ALL applications installed, and not just it's own
              application. The button I am remember for 1 case was actually a context
              menu when you clicked on it and allowed you to change the resolution of the
              window, size, colors, etc. Pretty nifty for the advanced use...
              >
              Mythran
              I believe Phill was talking about changing the behavior of the
              "default" buttons (minimize, restore, maximize, close) and not about
              additional custom buttons (like NVidia's nview titlebar buttons).

              Thanks,

              Seth Rowe

              Comment

              • Marcolino

                #8
                Re: Add custom button on title bar

                On 3 Mag, 18:57, rowe_newsgroups <rowe_em...@yah oo.comwrote:
                On May 3, 11:46 am, "Mythran" <kip_pot...@hot mail.comwrote:
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r...@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-kwrote in message
                >
                news:f1claa$eif $1@south.jnrs.j a.net...
                >
                Marcolino wrote:
                >On 2 Mag, 18:12, "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r...@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-k>
                >wrote:
                >>Marcolino wrote:
                >>>I need to add a custom button to title bar on a form in addition of a
                >>>standard button. (Minimize/Maximize, close etc.)
                >>Why?
                >
                >>Unless you're doing something very, /very/ specialised, what does this
                >>gain you or, more importantly, your users that you /can't/ achieve in a
                >>more "standard" Windows way?
                >
                >>>I looked around google but i'm not able to find any example that can
                >>>help me.
                >>Which ought to suggest that, perhaps, it's not a very good thing to
                >>do...
                >
                >>Regards,
                >> Phill W.
                >
                >Hi Phil,
                >I have my reason to do this. In deep I need to change the behavior of
                >Maximize/Restore Button on a form.
                >
                Again, I ask .. why?
                >
                *Every* other Windows application that shows these buttons (you /can/ just
                hide them, BTW) behaves in exactly the same way. They have done for years
                and (hopefully) will continue to do so for years to come. Users are
                /familiar/ with this and "expect" [all] their applications to work this
                way.
                >
                Not really Phill. I have used several windows applications that contain
                custom titlebar buttons. Hmm, I believe most of these apps were installed
                via video card bundled software and they allow you to do many things with
                the "window" that has nothing to do with the application. Of course, this
                was a modification to ALL applications installed, and not just it's own
                application. The button I am remember for 1 case was actually a context
                menu when you clicked on it and allowed you to change the resolution of the
                window, size, colors, etc. Pretty nifty for the advanced use...
                >
                Mythran
                >
                I believe Phill was talking about changing the behavior of the
                "default" buttons (minimize, restore, maximize, close) and not about
                additional custom buttons (like NVidia's nview titlebar buttons).
                >
                Thanks,
                >
                Seth Rowe- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -
                >
                - Mostra testo tra virgolette -
                Hi All,
                Phil I'm Italian and I'm not write English very well, but in any way I
                will try to explain you and all other guys my needs.

                So, the truth is that the maximize button on my app will operate as
                Microsoft want, maximizing the form but in a little bit different way.
                I'm trying to explaing....... .......
                I have an MDI container with a toolbar docked on the top. Inside this
                MDI I have my child form. With standard behavior, when I'll click on
                maximize, the child form will be maximized but the Title Bar of my
                child form will go between the title bar of MDI and the ToolBar Docked
                on the top of MDI. This is horrible to see for me and final users. In
                addition all other child form that will open, will be maximized, also
                if for default the maximize button is disable on their properties.
                I don't need this. So I modified a little bit the behavior of maximixe
                button, to adapt my child form, to MDI maximum usable space. With this
                operation, my child will seems maximized, but its title bar remain on
                its top and all other child that will be open mantain their original
                ratio and position.
                The user of this app, agree with me from this point of view.
                The only thing that miss to my "Little Bit Modified Maximize" is to
                change the Maximize Button to Restore Button after maximized to return
                the child form to its original size. From here was born my request on
                this Newsgroup.

                I hope that it's clear.

                In any way many thanks for your helps.

                Bye Marco

                Comment

                Working...