Sybase to Access

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • aaron.kempf@gmail.com

    #16
    Re: Sybase to Access

    having physical access to the computer is different than having
    physical access to the computer.

    and for the record; I use 15-16 character passwords everywhere I go..
    _not_ crackable

    -Aaron


    Master Programmer wrote:
    Windows authentication is childishly easy to crack if you have physical
    access to the box. There are lots of brute force crackers availble,
    they work offline on the SAM file containing the users/passwords. I
    bought a used dell box a while ago and didn't have the password. I
    found a web site that allows you to boot your PC from a floppy, it then
    grabs the sam file and saves it to the floppy. Then you upload the
    file to the web site and 24 hours later they send you all of the
    usernames and passwords. There are other methods too, including
    downloadable ISO files allowing you to create a CD that has a bootable
    linux and a brute force cracker and dictionary.
    >
    The Grand Master
    >
    >
    aaron.kempf@gma il.com wrote:
    windows authentication isn't easy to crack if they have physical access

    sql authentication is 'impossible to secure'

    but that doesn't make windows authentication impossible to secure

    how are you going to crack in.. guest accounts? escalation due to trust
    of the network account?

    I dont let anyone hit the database; they can all do read only through a
    cube for all I care

    -Aaron



    Master Programmer wrote:
    At then end of the day the windows authentication system is that easy
    to crack if they have physical access, that the only option seems to be
    to encrypt the fields using the program
    >
    The Grand Master
    >
    aaron.kempf@gma il.com wrote:
    and of course you need 'trust for delegation' and setspn


    Master Programmer wrote:
    Aaron
    >
    Have you used database encryption for SQL Server before?
    >
    The Grand Master
    >
    aaron.kempf@gma il.com wrote:
    Master;

    Oh I fully agree.
    But Access is also a replacement for Crystal Reports.. Access Data
    Projects are a very powerful alternative; no DLL hell to play with.

    Just simple bound forms.. much much better than VB6; but it's the same
    architecture so it's all good

    I hate MDB with a vengence.
    But ADP is a great way to keep VB6 code without rewriting it.

    We're a fully supported platform for VB6 ADO code against SQL Server.
    you should check it out sometime..

    -Aaron



    Master Programmer wrote:
    Access is a toy for storing "My CD Collection" or "My Favourite
    Ponies". It is not a DB in any sense that that term "DB" is usually
    used
    in a professional environment.
    >
    Fucking grow up and use SQL Server.
    >
    The Grand Master
    >
    >
    codercode wrote:
    I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database. However, my
    client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and Sybase is way
    too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a Sybase to
    Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these two databases
    co-exist together?

    Comment

    • aaron.kempf@gmail.com

      #17
      Re: Sybase to Access

      yeah we had to sniff the password hashes for customers.. and then we
      had to do this for a couple of hundred clients-- so that we didn't
      force them to reset their password :)

      not rocket science.
      databases can make pretty easy work of it

      but it's not practical.

      being able to take a server home-- and use brute force and a year to
      crack my password:

      a) i'll have changed passwords by then
      b) you still get a bunch of candidate keys... if you get a hit on my
      hash; and you try 10 of them; then you have a trail of failed logons
      c) this doesn't mean that Windows NT authentication in a typical
      network setup is 'impossible to secure'

      Windows NT authentication is _WONDERFUL_ in SQL Server.

      and _NO_ it should not be the single logon method for windows apps--

      but altogether it is pretty powerful; pretty secure.

      I just can't stand SQL Authentication.

      70% of the clients I've had in the past 10 years use SQL
      Authentication. . that is just flat out fucking ridiculous.

      I wish that everyone used mySql-- then you could secure it so that
      you're only getting hits from a particular IP address.

      it makes a lot of sense; they should really duplicate that
      functionality in SQL Server.

      -Aaron





      Master Programmer wrote:
      Windows authentication is childishly easy to crack if you have physical
      access to the box. There are lots of brute force crackers availble,
      they work offline on the SAM file containing the users/passwords. I
      bought a used dell box a while ago and didn't have the password. I
      found a web site that allows you to boot your PC from a floppy, it then
      grabs the sam file and saves it to the floppy. Then you upload the
      file to the web site and 24 hours later they send you all of the
      usernames and passwords. There are other methods too, including
      downloadable ISO files allowing you to create a CD that has a bootable
      linux and a brute force cracker and dictionary.
      >
      The Grand Master
      >
      >
      aaron.kempf@gma il.com wrote:
      windows authentication isn't easy to crack if they have physical access

      sql authentication is 'impossible to secure'

      but that doesn't make windows authentication impossible to secure

      how are you going to crack in.. guest accounts? escalation due to trust
      of the network account?

      I dont let anyone hit the database; they can all do read only through a
      cube for all I care

      -Aaron



      Master Programmer wrote:
      At then end of the day the windows authentication system is that easy
      to crack if they have physical access, that the only option seems to be
      to encrypt the fields using the program
      >
      The Grand Master
      >
      aaron.kempf@gma il.com wrote:
      and of course you need 'trust for delegation' and setspn


      Master Programmer wrote:
      Aaron
      >
      Have you used database encryption for SQL Server before?
      >
      The Grand Master
      >
      aaron.kempf@gma il.com wrote:
      Master;

      Oh I fully agree.
      But Access is also a replacement for Crystal Reports.. Access Data
      Projects are a very powerful alternative; no DLL hell to play with.

      Just simple bound forms.. much much better than VB6; but it's the same
      architecture so it's all good

      I hate MDB with a vengence.
      But ADP is a great way to keep VB6 code without rewriting it.

      We're a fully supported platform for VB6 ADO code against SQL Server.
      you should check it out sometime..

      -Aaron



      Master Programmer wrote:
      Access is a toy for storing "My CD Collection" or "My Favourite
      Ponies". It is not a DB in any sense that that term "DB" is usually
      used
      in a professional environment.
      >
      Fucking grow up and use SQL Server.
      >
      The Grand Master
      >
      >
      codercode wrote:
      I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database. However, my
      client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and Sybase is way
      too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a Sybase to
      Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these two databases
      co-exist together?

      Comment

      • sstory

        #18
        Re: Sybase to Access

        Not sure of the question.

        1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not recommended.
        2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase perhaps and give you
        "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access if that were possible
        instead of just getting the drivers to connect directly to Sybase.
        3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to MySQL.
        "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
        news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
        I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database. However, my
        client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and Sybase is way
        too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a Sybase to
        Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these two databases
        co-exist together?
        >

        Comment

        • RobinS

          #19
          Re: Sybase to Access

          Why would Access bite with a 30MB database -- that's nothing.
          I've had apps with an Access database that was 500MB, and the
          performance was fine.

          It would be better to migrate to SQLServer Express, but using
          Access won't kill him.

          Robin S.
          ---------------------------------
          "sstory" <nothank@no.com wrote in message
          news:uLrM4NpLHH A.4848@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
          Not sure of the question.
          >
          1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not recommended.
          2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase perhaps and give
          you "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access if that were
          possible instead of just getting the drivers to connect directly to
          Sybase.
          3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to MySQL.
          "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
          news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
          >I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database. However, my
          >client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and Sybase is way
          >too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a Sybase to
          >Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these two
          >databases
          >co-exist together?
          >>
          >
          >

          Comment

          • aaron.kempf@gmail.com

            #20
            Re: Sybase to Access

            I've had Access apps with 25 mb of data that can't support a half dozen
            users.

            MDB shouldn't be used for a single user nor a single record.

            If MS had a decade-long policy of preaching SQL over MDB then _MAYBE_ I
            would be willing to accept SQL 2005 _CRAP_ that is built into VB 2005.

            As it is; I can't reccomend SQL 2005 _anywhere_ since it's not
            supported on TRANSMETA (_BLADES_ and tablets), it doesn't support SQL
            Agent; and it doesn't support replication like MSDE 2.0 did

            -Aaron


            RobinS wrote:
            Why would Access bite with a 30MB database -- that's nothing.
            I've had apps with an Access database that was 500MB, and the
            performance was fine.
            >
            It would be better to migrate to SQLServer Express, but using
            Access won't kill him.
            >
            Robin S.
            ---------------------------------
            "sstory" <nothank@no.com wrote in message
            news:uLrM4NpLHH A.4848@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
            Not sure of the question.

            1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not recommended.
            2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase perhaps and give
            you "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access if that were
            possible instead of just getting the drivers to connect directly to
            Sybase.
            3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to MySQL.
            "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
            news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
            I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database. However, my
            client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and Sybase is way
            too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a Sybase to
            Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these two
            databases
            co-exist together?
            >

            Comment

            • RobinS

              #21
              Re: Sybase to Access

              Bummer for you. I've had VB desktop applications using Access as a
              back-end that had 75 users and 500MB+ of data, with no problem
              whatsoever. There's no reason that wouldn't work for sstory, if he
              didn't want to use SQLServer.

              Robin S.
              ----------------------------------
              <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
              news:1167768642 .603440.102460@ 42g2000cwt.goog legroups.com...
              I've had Access apps with 25 mb of data that can't support a half
              dozen
              users.
              >
              MDB shouldn't be used for a single user nor a single record.
              >
              If MS had a decade-long policy of preaching SQL over MDB then _MAYBE_
              I
              would be willing to accept SQL 2005 _CRAP_ that is built into VB 2005.
              >
              As it is; I can't reccomend SQL 2005 _anywhere_ since it's not
              supported on TRANSMETA (_BLADES_ and tablets), it doesn't support SQL
              Agent; and it doesn't support replication like MSDE 2.0 did
              >
              -Aaron
              >
              >
              RobinS wrote:
              >Why would Access bite with a 30MB database -- that's nothing.
              >I've had apps with an Access database that was 500MB, and the
              >performance was fine.
              >>
              >It would be better to migrate to SQLServer Express, but using
              >Access won't kill him.
              >>
              >Robin S.
              >---------------------------------
              >"sstory" <nothank@no.com wrote in message
              >news:uLrM4NpLH HA.4848@TK2MSFT NGP04.phx.gbl.. .
              Not sure of the question.
              >
              1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not
              recommended.
              2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase perhaps and
              give
              you "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access if that
              were
              possible instead of just getting the drivers to connect directly to
              Sybase.
              3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to MySQL.
              "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
              news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
              >I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database. However,
              >my
              >client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and Sybase is
              >way
              >too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a Sybase to
              >Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these two
              >databases
              >co-exist together?
              >>
              >
              >
              >

              Comment

              • aaron.kempf@gmail.com

                #22
                Re: Sybase to Access

                I disagree.

                I don't know or care how much effort it took; all I know is that ADP is
                a better platform.

                MDB is for lamers and fucking retards.

                it makes no sense for newbies to learn TWO DIFFERENT DIALECTS OF SQL.

                That is the FATAL FLAW WITH MDB-- It shouldn't be targeted at Junior
                Developers.
                And it's not reliable enough for normal developers.

                I just don't believe you when you say that you've had 75 users and
                500mb data.

                I've had a dozen MDB files with a total of 1.5 gb crap out left and
                right.
                and I've had a single MDB split properly into front end and back end
                (gag) that can't support a half dozen users.

                -Aaron


                RobinS wrote:
                Bummer for you. I've had VB desktop applications using Access as a
                back-end that had 75 users and 500MB+ of data, with no problem
                whatsoever. There's no reason that wouldn't work for sstory, if he
                didn't want to use SQLServer.
                >
                Robin S.
                ----------------------------------
                <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
                news:1167768642 .603440.102460@ 42g2000cwt.goog legroups.com...
                I've had Access apps with 25 mb of data that can't support a half
                dozen
                users.

                MDB shouldn't be used for a single user nor a single record.

                If MS had a decade-long policy of preaching SQL over MDB then _MAYBE_
                I
                would be willing to accept SQL 2005 _CRAP_ that is built into VB 2005.

                As it is; I can't reccomend SQL 2005 _anywhere_ since it's not
                supported on TRANSMETA (_BLADES_ and tablets), it doesn't support SQL
                Agent; and it doesn't support replication like MSDE 2.0 did

                -Aaron


                RobinS wrote:
                Why would Access bite with a 30MB database -- that's nothing.
                I've had apps with an Access database that was 500MB, and the
                performance was fine.
                >
                It would be better to migrate to SQLServer Express, but using
                Access won't kill him.
                >
                Robin S.
                ---------------------------------
                "sstory" <nothank@no.com wrote in message
                news:uLrM4NpLHH A.4848@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
                Not sure of the question.

                1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not
                recommended.
                2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase perhaps and
                give
                you "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access if that
                were
                possible instead of just getting the drivers to connect directly to
                Sybase.
                3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to MySQL.
                "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
                news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
                I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database. However,
                my
                client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and Sybase is
                way
                too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a Sybase to
                Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these two
                databases
                co-exist together?
                >

                Comment

                • RobinS

                  #23
                  Re: Sybase to Access

                  Well, it doesn't matter to me whether or not you believe me. The
                  application is still running 2 years after I left, and the database
                  is now about 900MB. Their only complaint is how long it takes to
                  compact it...

                  Robin S.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
                  news:1167866804 .486388.155330@ i80g2000cwc.goo glegroups.com.. .
                  >I disagree.
                  >
                  I don't know or care how much effort it took; all I know is that ADP
                  is
                  a better platform.
                  >
                  MDB is for lamers and fucking retards.
                  >
                  it makes no sense for newbies to learn TWO DIFFERENT DIALECTS OF SQL.
                  >
                  That is the FATAL FLAW WITH MDB-- It shouldn't be targeted at Junior
                  Developers.
                  And it's not reliable enough for normal developers.
                  >
                  I just don't believe you when you say that you've had 75 users and
                  500mb data.
                  >
                  I've had a dozen MDB files with a total of 1.5 gb crap out left and
                  right.
                  and I've had a single MDB split properly into front end and back end
                  (gag) that can't support a half dozen users.
                  >
                  -Aaron
                  >
                  >
                  RobinS wrote:
                  >Bummer for you. I've had VB desktop applications using Access as a
                  >back-end that had 75 users and 500MB+ of data, with no problem
                  >whatsoever. There's no reason that wouldn't work for sstory, if he
                  >didn't want to use SQLServer.
                  >>
                  >Robin S.
                  >----------------------------------
                  ><aaron.kempf@g mail.comwrote in message
                  >news:116776864 2.603440.102460 @42g2000cwt.goo glegroups.com.. .
                  I've had Access apps with 25 mb of data that can't support a half
                  dozen
                  users.
                  >
                  MDB shouldn't be used for a single user nor a single record.
                  >
                  If MS had a decade-long policy of preaching SQL over MDB then
                  _MAYBE_
                  I
                  would be willing to accept SQL 2005 _CRAP_ that is built into VB
                  2005.
                  >
                  As it is; I can't reccomend SQL 2005 _anywhere_ since it's not
                  supported on TRANSMETA (_BLADES_ and tablets), it doesn't support
                  SQL
                  Agent; and it doesn't support replication like MSDE 2.0 did
                  >
                  -Aaron
                  >
                  >
                  RobinS wrote:
                  >Why would Access bite with a 30MB database -- that's nothing.
                  >I've had apps with an Access database that was 500MB, and the
                  >performance was fine.
                  >>
                  >It would be better to migrate to SQLServer Express, but using
                  >Access won't kill him.
                  >>
                  >Robin S.
                  >---------------------------------
                  >"sstory" <nothank@no.com wrote in message
                  >news:uLrM4NpLH HA.4848@TK2MSFT NGP04.phx.gbl.. .
                  Not sure of the question.
                  >
                  1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not
                  recommended.
                  2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase perhaps
                  and
                  give
                  you "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access if
                  that
                  were
                  possible instead of just getting the drivers to connect directly
                  to
                  Sybase.
                  3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to MySQL.
                  "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
                  news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
                  >I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database.
                  >However,
                  >my
                  >client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and Sybase
                  >is
                  >way
                  >too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a Sybase
                  >to
                  >Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these two
                  >databases
                  >co-exist together?
                  >>
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >

                  Comment

                  • aaron.kempf@gmail.com

                    #24
                    Re: Sybase to Access

                    rofl

                    you fucking retards still kick users out of the databases in order to
                    compact and repair?

                    how fucking antiquated

                    I mean seriously your little bullshit dime-store solutions aren't
                    trouble free.

                    they just send their work elsewhere since you're a fucking newbie
                    Access baby mother fucker

                    -Aaron



                    RobinS wrote:
                    Well, it doesn't matter to me whether or not you believe me. The
                    application is still running 2 years after I left, and the database
                    is now about 900MB. Their only complaint is how long it takes to
                    compact it...
                    >
                    Robin S.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
                    news:1167866804 .486388.155330@ i80g2000cwc.goo glegroups.com.. .
                    I disagree.

                    I don't know or care how much effort it took; all I know is that ADP
                    is
                    a better platform.

                    MDB is for lamers and fucking retards.

                    it makes no sense for newbies to learn TWO DIFFERENT DIALECTS OF SQL.

                    That is the FATAL FLAW WITH MDB-- It shouldn't be targeted at Junior
                    Developers.
                    And it's not reliable enough for normal developers.

                    I just don't believe you when you say that you've had 75 users and
                    500mb data.

                    I've had a dozen MDB files with a total of 1.5 gb crap out left and
                    right.
                    and I've had a single MDB split properly into front end and back end
                    (gag) that can't support a half dozen users.

                    -Aaron


                    RobinS wrote:
                    Bummer for you. I've had VB desktop applications using Access as a
                    back-end that had 75 users and 500MB+ of data, with no problem
                    whatsoever. There's no reason that wouldn't work for sstory, if he
                    didn't want to use SQLServer.
                    >
                    Robin S.
                    ----------------------------------
                    <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
                    news:1167768642 .603440.102460@ 42g2000cwt.goog legroups.com...
                    I've had Access apps with 25 mb of data that can't support a half
                    dozen
                    users.

                    MDB shouldn't be used for a single user nor a single record.

                    If MS had a decade-long policy of preaching SQL over MDB then
                    _MAYBE_
                    I
                    would be willing to accept SQL 2005 _CRAP_ that is built into VB
                    2005.

                    As it is; I can't reccomend SQL 2005 _anywhere_ since it's not
                    supported on TRANSMETA (_BLADES_ and tablets), it doesn't support
                    SQL
                    Agent; and it doesn't support replication like MSDE 2.0 did

                    -Aaron


                    RobinS wrote:
                    Why would Access bite with a 30MB database -- that's nothing.
                    I've had apps with an Access database that was 500MB, and the
                    performance was fine.
                    >
                    It would be better to migrate to SQLServer Express, but using
                    Access won't kill him.
                    >
                    Robin S.
                    ---------------------------------
                    "sstory" <nothank@no.com wrote in message
                    news:uLrM4NpLHH A.4848@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
                    Not sure of the question.

                    1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not
                    recommended.
                    2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase perhaps
                    and
                    give
                    you "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access if
                    that
                    were
                    possible instead of just getting the drivers to connect directly
                    to
                    Sybase.
                    3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to MySQL.
                    "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
                    news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
                    I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database.
                    However,
                    my
                    client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and Sybase
                    is
                    way
                    too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a Sybase
                    to
                    Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these two
                    databases
                    co-exist together?
                    >

                    Comment

                    • RobinS

                      #25
                      Re: Sybase to Access

                      No, they usually compact it in the middle of the night.

                      Try not to be unnecessarily abusive, Aaron. You don't comprehend
                      why the solution was chosen, and I'm not going to explain it to you,
                      because all you'll do is whine about VB going away.

                      Robin S.
                      VB2005.Net programmer
                      ----------------------------------
                      <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
                      news:1167887286 .837763.116380@ 42g2000cwt.goog legroups.com...
                      rofl
                      >
                      you fucking retards still kick users out of the databases in order to
                      compact and repair?
                      >
                      how fucking antiquated
                      >
                      I mean seriously your little bullshit dime-store solutions aren't
                      trouble free.
                      >
                      they just send their work elsewhere since you're a fucking newbie
                      Access baby mother fucker
                      >
                      -Aaron
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      RobinS wrote:
                      >Well, it doesn't matter to me whether or not you believe me. The
                      >application is still running 2 years after I left, and the database
                      >is now about 900MB. Their only complaint is how long it takes to
                      >compact it...
                      >>
                      >Robin S.
                      >--------------------------------------------------
                      ><aaron.kempf@g mail.comwrote in message
                      >news:116786680 4.486388.155330 @i80g2000cwc.go oglegroups.com. ..
                      >I disagree.
                      >
                      I don't know or care how much effort it took; all I know is that
                      ADP
                      is
                      a better platform.
                      >
                      MDB is for lamers and fucking retards.
                      >
                      it makes no sense for newbies to learn TWO DIFFERENT DIALECTS OF
                      SQL.
                      >
                      That is the FATAL FLAW WITH MDB-- It shouldn't be targeted at
                      Junior
                      Developers.
                      And it's not reliable enough for normal developers.
                      >
                      I just don't believe you when you say that you've had 75 users and
                      500mb data.
                      >
                      I've had a dozen MDB files with a total of 1.5 gb crap out left and
                      right.
                      and I've had a single MDB split properly into front end and back
                      end
                      (gag) that can't support a half dozen users.
                      >
                      -Aaron
                      >
                      >
                      RobinS wrote:
                      >Bummer for you. I've had VB desktop applications using Access as a
                      >back-end that had 75 users and 500MB+ of data, with no problem
                      >whatsoever. There's no reason that wouldn't work for sstory, if he
                      >didn't want to use SQLServer.
                      >>
                      >Robin S.
                      >----------------------------------
                      ><aaron.kempf@g mail.comwrote in message
                      >news:116776864 2.603440.102460 @42g2000cwt.goo glegroups.com.. .
                      I've had Access apps with 25 mb of data that can't support a
                      half
                      dozen
                      users.
                      >
                      MDB shouldn't be used for a single user nor a single record.
                      >
                      If MS had a decade-long policy of preaching SQL over MDB then
                      _MAYBE_
                      I
                      would be willing to accept SQL 2005 _CRAP_ that is built into VB
                      2005.
                      >
                      As it is; I can't reccomend SQL 2005 _anywhere_ since it's not
                      supported on TRANSMETA (_BLADES_ and tablets), it doesn't
                      support
                      SQL
                      Agent; and it doesn't support replication like MSDE 2.0 did
                      >
                      -Aaron
                      >
                      >
                      RobinS wrote:
                      >Why would Access bite with a 30MB database -- that's nothing.
                      >I've had apps with an Access database that was 500MB, and the
                      >performance was fine.
                      >>
                      >It would be better to migrate to SQLServer Express, but using
                      >Access won't kill him.
                      >>
                      >Robin S.
                      >---------------------------------
                      >"sstory" <nothank@no.com wrote in message
                      >news:uLrM4NpLH HA.4848@TK2MSFT NGP04.phx.gbl.. .
                      Not sure of the question.
                      >
                      1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not
                      recommended.
                      2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase perhaps
                      and
                      give
                      you "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access if
                      that
                      were
                      possible instead of just getting the drivers to connect
                      directly
                      to
                      Sybase.
                      3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to
                      MySQL.
                      "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
                      news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
                      >I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database.
                      >However,
                      >my
                      >client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and
                      >Sybase
                      >is
                      >way
                      >too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a
                      >Sybase
                      >to
                      >Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these
                      >two
                      >databases
                      >co-exist together?
                      >>
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >

                      Comment

                      • aaron.kempf@gmail.com

                        #26
                        Re: Sybase to Access

                        I whine because they killed off vb6.. then they killed off ACCESS by
                        bringing back DAO

                        I'm sick and fucking tired of a new data access layer every 12 months

                        and I refuse-- militantly-- to use DAO again.

                        that is why I am in the VB newsgroup-- to bitch about the first
                        misdeed--- the death of VB because now that Access is a dead issue then
                        I need to bitch up a storm to the 'real vb' lol

                        as if

                        vb has been dead for 5 years; and microsoft's lack of commitment to the
                        language makes me disgusted.

                        MIcrosofts' first development tool was for BASIC wasn't it?

                        Why have they turned their back on the worlds most popular programming
                        language?

                        -Aaron


                        RobinS wrote:
                        No, they usually compact it in the middle of the night.
                        >
                        Try not to be unnecessarily abusive, Aaron. You don't comprehend
                        why the solution was chosen, and I'm not going to explain it to you,
                        because all you'll do is whine about VB going away.
                        >
                        Robin S.
                        VB2005.Net programmer
                        ----------------------------------
                        <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
                        news:1167887286 .837763.116380@ 42g2000cwt.goog legroups.com...
                        rofl

                        you fucking retards still kick users out of the databases in order to
                        compact and repair?

                        how fucking antiquated

                        I mean seriously your little bullshit dime-store solutions aren't
                        trouble free.

                        they just send their work elsewhere since you're a fucking newbie
                        Access baby mother fucker

                        -Aaron



                        RobinS wrote:
                        Well, it doesn't matter to me whether or not you believe me. The
                        application is still running 2 years after I left, and the database
                        is now about 900MB. Their only complaint is how long it takes to
                        compact it...
                        >
                        Robin S.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
                        news:1167866804 .486388.155330@ i80g2000cwc.goo glegroups.com.. .
                        I disagree.

                        I don't know or care how much effort it took; all I know is that
                        ADP
                        is
                        a better platform.

                        MDB is for lamers and fucking retards.

                        it makes no sense for newbies to learn TWO DIFFERENT DIALECTS OF
                        SQL.

                        That is the FATAL FLAW WITH MDB-- It shouldn't be targeted at
                        Junior
                        Developers.
                        And it's not reliable enough for normal developers.

                        I just don't believe you when you say that you've had 75 users and
                        500mb data.

                        I've had a dozen MDB files with a total of 1.5 gb crap out left and
                        right.
                        and I've had a single MDB split properly into front end and back
                        end
                        (gag) that can't support a half dozen users.

                        -Aaron


                        RobinS wrote:
                        Bummer for you. I've had VB desktop applications using Access as a
                        back-end that had 75 users and 500MB+ of data, with no problem
                        whatsoever. There's no reason that wouldn't work for sstory, if he
                        didn't want to use SQLServer.
                        >
                        Robin S.
                        ----------------------------------
                        <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
                        news:1167768642 .603440.102460@ 42g2000cwt.goog legroups.com...
                        I've had Access apps with 25 mb of data that can't support a
                        half
                        dozen
                        users.

                        MDB shouldn't be used for a single user nor a single record.

                        If MS had a decade-long policy of preaching SQL over MDB then
                        _MAYBE_
                        I
                        would be willing to accept SQL 2005 _CRAP_ that is built into VB
                        2005.

                        As it is; I can't reccomend SQL 2005 _anywhere_ since it's not
                        supported on TRANSMETA (_BLADES_ and tablets), it doesn't
                        support
                        SQL
                        Agent; and it doesn't support replication like MSDE 2.0 did

                        -Aaron


                        RobinS wrote:
                        Why would Access bite with a 30MB database -- that's nothing.
                        I've had apps with an Access database that was 500MB, and the
                        performance was fine.
                        >
                        It would be better to migrate to SQLServer Express, but using
                        Access won't kill him.
                        >
                        Robin S.
                        ---------------------------------
                        "sstory" <nothank@no.com wrote in message
                        news:uLrM4NpLHH A.4848@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
                        Not sure of the question.

                        1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not
                        recommended.
                        2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase perhaps
                        and
                        give
                        you "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access if
                        that
                        were
                        possible instead of just getting the drivers to connect
                        directly
                        to
                        Sybase.
                        3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to
                        MySQL.
                        "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
                        news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
                        I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database.
                        However,
                        my
                        client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and
                        Sybase
                        is
                        way
                        too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a
                        Sybase
                        to
                        Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these
                        two
                        databases
                        co-exist together?
                        >


                        Comment

                        • RobinS

                          #27
                          Re: Sybase to Access

                          Told you so.

                          Robin S.
                          ------------------------------
                          <aaron.kempf@gm ail.comwrote in message
                          news:1167947967 .722859.210390@ s80g2000cwa.goo glegroups.com.. .
                          >I whine because they killed off vb6.. then they killed off ACCESS by
                          bringing back DAO
                          >
                          I'm sick and fucking tired of a new data access layer every 12 months
                          >
                          and I refuse-- militantly-- to use DAO again.
                          >
                          that is why I am in the VB newsgroup-- to bitch about the first
                          misdeed--- the death of VB because now that Access is a dead issue
                          then
                          I need to bitch up a storm to the 'real vb' lol
                          >
                          as if
                          >
                          vb has been dead for 5 years; and microsoft's lack of commitment to
                          the
                          language makes me disgusted.
                          >
                          MIcrosofts' first development tool was for BASIC wasn't it?
                          >
                          Why have they turned their back on the worlds most popular programming
                          language?
                          >
                          -Aaron
                          >
                          >
                          RobinS wrote:
                          >No, they usually compact it in the middle of the night.
                          >>
                          >Try not to be unnecessarily abusive, Aaron. You don't comprehend
                          >why the solution was chosen, and I'm not going to explain it to you,
                          >because all you'll do is whine about VB going away.
                          >>
                          >Robin S.
                          >VB2005.Net programmer
                          >----------------------------------
                          ><aaron.kempf@g mail.comwrote in message
                          >news:116788728 6.837763.116380 @42g2000cwt.goo glegroups.com.. .
                          rofl
                          >
                          you fucking retards still kick users out of the databases in order
                          to
                          compact and repair?
                          >
                          how fucking antiquated
                          >
                          I mean seriously your little bullshit dime-store solutions aren't
                          trouble free.
                          >
                          they just send their work elsewhere since you're a fucking newbie
                          Access baby mother fucker
                          >
                          -Aaron
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          RobinS wrote:
                          >Well, it doesn't matter to me whether or not you believe me. The
                          >application is still running 2 years after I left, and the
                          >database
                          >is now about 900MB. Their only complaint is how long it takes to
                          >compact it...
                          >>
                          >Robin S.
                          >--------------------------------------------------
                          ><aaron.kempf@g mail.comwrote in message
                          >news:116786680 4.486388.155330 @i80g2000cwc.go oglegroups.com. ..
                          >I disagree.
                          >
                          I don't know or care how much effort it took; all I know is that
                          ADP
                          is
                          a better platform.
                          >
                          MDB is for lamers and fucking retards.
                          >
                          it makes no sense for newbies to learn TWO DIFFERENT DIALECTS OF
                          SQL.
                          >
                          That is the FATAL FLAW WITH MDB-- It shouldn't be targeted at
                          Junior
                          Developers.
                          And it's not reliable enough for normal developers.
                          >
                          I just don't believe you when you say that you've had 75 users
                          and
                          500mb data.
                          >
                          I've had a dozen MDB files with a total of 1.5 gb crap out left
                          and
                          right.
                          and I've had a single MDB split properly into front end and back
                          end
                          (gag) that can't support a half dozen users.
                          >
                          -Aaron
                          >
                          >
                          RobinS wrote:
                          >Bummer for you. I've had VB desktop applications using Access
                          >as a
                          >back-end that had 75 users and 500MB+ of data, with no problem
                          >whatsoever. There's no reason that wouldn't work for sstory, if
                          >he
                          >didn't want to use SQLServer.
                          >>
                          >Robin S.
                          >----------------------------------
                          ><aaron.kempf@g mail.comwrote in message
                          >news:116776864 2.603440.102460 @42g2000cwt.goo glegroups.com.. .
                          I've had Access apps with 25 mb of data that can't support a
                          half
                          dozen
                          users.
                          >
                          MDB shouldn't be used for a single user nor a single record.
                          >
                          If MS had a decade-long policy of preaching SQL over MDB then
                          _MAYBE_
                          I
                          would be willing to accept SQL 2005 _CRAP_ that is built into
                          VB
                          2005.
                          >
                          As it is; I can't reccomend SQL 2005 _anywhere_ since it's
                          not
                          supported on TRANSMETA (_BLADES_ and tablets), it doesn't
                          support
                          SQL
                          Agent; and it doesn't support replication like MSDE 2.0 did
                          >
                          -Aaron
                          >
                          >
                          RobinS wrote:
                          >Why would Access bite with a 30MB database -- that's
                          >nothing.
                          >I've had apps with an Access database that was 500MB, and
                          >the
                          >performance was fine.
                          >>
                          >It would be better to migrate to SQLServer Express, but
                          >using
                          >Access won't kill him.
                          >>
                          >Robin S.
                          >---------------------------------
                          >"sstory" <nothank@no.com wrote in message
                          >news:uLrM4NpLH HA.4848@TK2MSFT NGP04.phx.gbl.. .
                          Not sure of the question.
                          >
                          1.) Access would really bite with a 30MB database--not
                          recommended.
                          2.) Access could use link tables to link to Sybase
                          perhaps
                          and
                          give
                          you "access" to it. then again, why would you use Access
                          if
                          that
                          were
                          possible instead of just getting the drivers to connect
                          directly
                          to
                          Sybase.
                          3.) If it is a problem you might consider migrating to
                          MySQL.
                          "codercode" <wong.jamin@gma il.comwrote in message
                          news:1166120551 .784318.13300@8 0g2000cwy.googl egroups.com...
                          >I'm working on a Visual Basic .NET using Access database.
                          >However,
                          >my
                          >client already have a 30MB database with Sybase ASA and
                          >Sybase
                          >is
                          >way
                          >too much for that. Is there anyway I can migrate from a
                          >Sybase
                          >to
                          >Access? or is it possible at all. If it is not, can these
                          >two
                          >databases
                          >co-exist together?
                          >>
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >

                          Comment

                          Working...