code collapsing in vb.net 2005

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SlowArrow

    #1

    code collapsing in vb.net 2005

    Here collapsing seems to work differently in vb.net 2005 from that I use to
    see in vb.net 2003:

    Using the collapsing in vb.net 2003 shows the whole interface of the
    methods, subroutines, functions, etc, while in vb.net 2005 those parts after
    the name (arguments, etc) are missing. Is there an option to show them as
    well, or this is the only working method of the collapsing?

    What amazed me that the collapsing in the vC.net 2005 shows the whole
    interface as well.

    I'm sorry about the stupid question :-)
  • SlowArrow

    #2
    RE: code collapsing in vb.net 2005

    Hm... No answer... Interesting... Perhaps, you couldn't understand the
    question, because of my bad English. So, I'll try to explain it a more
    particularly:

    I have a small piece of code in my Visual Studio 2005 Basic module, as
    follows:

    Private Function IsExcelInteract ive(ByRef oExcel As Object) As Boolean
    Do While True
    Try
    Dim blnTest As Boolean = oExcel.Applicat ion.Interactive
    Return False
    Catch e As Exception
    < some bla-bla-bla in some strange (Hungarian) language;-) >
    Application.DoE vents()
    End Try
    Loop
    End Function

    If I collapse this function in some way, then the related code consists the
    following line (in an awfull grey box):

    Private Function IsExcelInteract ive ...

    instead of :

    Private Function IsExcelInteract ive(ByRef oExcel As Object) As Boolean ...

    as it was in the editor of the VS.NET 2003, nicely.

    My question is:

    1. Is this by design in Visual Studio 2005 Basic ?
    2. Or there is an option to set to show the whole interface of the
    subroutines and
    the functions somewhere, what I missed?

    My note in my first question referred to my strange experience, that
    collapsing and routine in Visual Studio 2005 C++ the source code editor works
    as I expect it (i.e. it shows the subs/functions together with their
    arguments, etc.)

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Comment

    • Michael D. Ober

      #3
      Re: code collapsing in vb.net 2005

      It's a poor design decision on part of the IDE developers. If you put your
      mouse over the collapsed code, you will get a tool tip that shows a lot
      more.

      Mike Ober.

      "SlowArrow" <SlowArrow@disc ussions.microso ft.comwrote in message
      news:E72DFB75-DF4F-4ABF-AABC-FC574A346866@mi crosoft.com...
      Hm... No answer... Interesting... Perhaps, you couldn't understand the
      question, because of my bad English. So, I'll try to explain it a more
      particularly:
      >
      I have a small piece of code in my Visual Studio 2005 Basic module, as
      follows:
      >
      Private Function IsExcelInteract ive(ByRef oExcel As Object) As Boolean
      Do While True
      Try
      Dim blnTest As Boolean = oExcel.Applicat ion.Interactive
      Return False
      Catch e As Exception
      < some bla-bla-bla in some strange (Hungarian)
      language;-) >
      Application.DoE vents()
      End Try
      Loop
      End Function
      >
      If I collapse this function in some way, then the related code consists
      the
      following line (in an awfull grey box):
      >
      Private Function IsExcelInteract ive ...
      >
      instead of :
      >
      Private Function IsExcelInteract ive(ByRef oExcel As Object) As Boolean
      ....
      >
      as it was in the editor of the VS.NET 2003, nicely.
      >
      My question is:
      >
      1. Is this by design in Visual Studio 2005 Basic ?
      2. Or there is an option to set to show the whole interface of the
      subroutines and
      the functions somewhere, what I missed?
      >
      My note in my first question referred to my strange experience, that
      collapsing and routine in Visual Studio 2005 C++ the source code editor
      works
      as I expect it (i.e. it shows the subs/functions together with their
      arguments, etc.)
      >
      Any help would be appreciated!
      >


      Comment

      • SlowArrow

        #4
        Re: code collapsing in vb.net 2005

        Thanks, Michael! It's good to know, that this is by design, and the error is
        not in my toolcase... or in my watermelon ;-)

        However, I am a bit surprised, that there were NO people expressing sorrow
        about it. Do they like and prefer it, or just accept it?

        But to solve the comfort of those blind people as me, I think it would be
        nice to give options in the environment

        1. to provide a selection facility between the short and the long form
        2. to provide a modification facility of the actual (either short or long)
        form among the Display items of the Visual studio - Environment - Fonts and
        Colors, to change the color of the BOX around the text (or even not to show
        it at all;-)

        Still I would appreciate any comment, especially from the develeoper's side:)

        Comment

        • rowe_newsgroups

          #5
          Re: code collapsing in vb.net 2005

          However, I am a bit surprised, that there were NO people expressing sorrow
          about it. Do they like and prefer it, or just accept it?
          To be honest, having just the "short" version doesn't really bother me.
          Basically the only time I need to see the complete signature of a
          method is when I am using it in code (in which I can view the
          signatures via intellisense) or when I'm just browsing through my code
          (in which case I use the tooltips that Michael mentioned.). However, I
          do agree that having the option to customize it would be a great
          feature - after all not everyone prefers the same ide style.

          Thanks,

          Seth Rowe


          SlowArrow wrote:
          Thanks, Michael! It's good to know, that this is by design, and the error is
          not in my toolcase... or in my watermelon ;-)
          >
          However, I am a bit surprised, that there were NO people expressing sorrow
          about it. Do they like and prefer it, or just accept it?
          >
          But to solve the comfort of those blind people as me, I think it would be
          nice to give options in the environment
          >
          1. to provide a selection facility between the short and the long form
          2. to provide a modification facility of the actual (either short or long)
          form among the Display items of the Visual studio - Environment - Fonts and
          Colors, to change the color of the BOX around the text (or even not to show
          it at all;-)
          >
          Still I would appreciate any comment, especially from the develeoper's side:)

          Comment

          • SlowArrow

            #6
            Re: code collapsing in vb.net 2005

            Dear Seth, thanks for your comment :-)
            To be honest, having just the "short" version doesn't really bother me.
            Perhaps, that is just an oldfashioned custom, which my brain (struggling in
            the sweet juice of my melon;-) will overcome after a while. During coding a
            routine I always see the whole interface. In collapsed state they seem to be
            so nude, and my brain is looking for some more... More seriously, perhaps, I
            will accustomed to the new fashion after a while... or if the developers of
            the IDE don't help I will make an editor extension :-)
            after all not everyone prefers the same ide style
            I think, still there can be circumstances, when showing the long version
            would be very useful: to make an overview of all the definitions.

            Comment

            Working...