SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Miro

    #1

    SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

    Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net

    Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the MDB
    file by code.
    I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I load
    an MDB file, I can
    see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
    Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always have
    to create an Install shield.

    So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like people to
    install somewhere.
    Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried SQL
    Express )

    1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user would
    have to install ontop of my
    application install ?

    2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now has
    been working with
    MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?

    3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
    Express will take its place.
    Is this true ?

    So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still go
    with SQL Express ?

    I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know how i
    will create my db's before i start
    trying to code an app.

    Thank You,

    Miro


  • Cor Ligthert [MVP]

    #2
    Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

    Miro,

    In the newsgroup general and adonet is this often asked.

    See here one thread of those, it gives you direct the entree to more if you
    want.



    I hope you get an idea by this discussion.

    Cor


    "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> schreef in bericht
    news:ehDN9mxiGH A.4284@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
    > Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net
    >
    > Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the MDB
    > file by code.
    > I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I
    > load an MDB file, I can
    > see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
    > Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always have
    > to create an Install shield.
    >
    > So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like people
    > to install somewhere.
    > Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried SQL
    > Express )
    >
    > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user would
    > have to install ontop of my
    > application install ?
    >
    > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now has
    > been working with
    > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
    >
    > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
    > Express will take its place.
    > Is this true ?
    >
    > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still go
    > with SQL Express ?
    >
    > I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know how
    > i will create my db's before i start
    > trying to code an app.
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    > Miro
    >
    >[/color]


    Comment

    • Miro

      #3
      Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

      Thank you Cor,

      That is what I needed.

      A good read for everyone who is thinking the same thing.

      I personally will try now to install SQL Server and see what happens from
      here, or how hard it is to learn :)

      Thank you again.

      Miro

      "Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <notmyfirstname @planet.nl> wrote in message
      news:uyZ9pHyiGH A.3496@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
      > Miro,
      >
      > In the newsgroup general and adonet is this often asked.
      >
      > See here one thread of those, it gives you direct the entree to more if
      > you want.
      >
      > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1eca691cf65511
      >
      > I hope you get an idea by this discussion.
      >
      > Cor
      >
      >
      > "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> schreef in bericht
      > news:ehDN9mxiGH A.4284@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...[color=green]
      >> Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net
      >>
      >> Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the MDB
      >> file by code.
      >> I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I
      >> load an MDB file, I can
      >> see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
      >> Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always
      >> have to create an Install shield.
      >>
      >> So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like people
      >> to install somewhere.
      >> Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried SQL
      >> Express )
      >>
      >> 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user would
      >> have to install ontop of my
      >> application install ?
      >>
      >> 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now has
      >> been working with
      >> MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
      >>
      >> 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
      >> Express will take its place.
      >> Is this true ?
      >>
      >> So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still go
      >> with SQL Express ?
      >>
      >> I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know how
      >> i will create my db's before i start
      >> trying to code an app.
      >>
      >> Thank You,
      >>
      >> Miro
      >>
      >>[/color]
      >
      >[/color]


      Comment

      • Michel Posseth  [MCP]

        #4
        Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

        > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user would[color=blue]
        > have to install ontop of my
        > application install ?[/color]

        well a lot of people nowadays have a sql express or MSDE instance running
        without even knowing it
        [color=blue]
        > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now has
        > been working with
        > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?[/color]

        if you know for sure all people have Jet oledb installed ( this is not
        standard annymore in MDAC since version 2.6 )
        okay having office installed will also work :-)
        [color=blue]
        > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
        > Express will take its place.
        > Is this true ?[/color]

        In my opinion yes , you could also go for the firebird DB engine wich has
        a verry nice .Net API is completely free ( without anny restrictions , and
        has even an embedded version ) http://firebird.sourceforge.net/ however
        it is not as "friendly" to start with as MSSQL

        [color=blue]
        > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still go
        > with SQL Express ?[/color]

        This depends on the project for me .

        Why would i choose Access ( i prefer the 2000 db ) above sql express
        1. small ( i should say smaller ) footprint
        2.deployable to all Windows versions inclusive win 9.x
        3. security and then i mean the possibility to secure so no one else except
        you can access the database
        while still having the posibility to use indexes etc etc on the data (
        this is done with a workgroup information file , using this technique you
        can add user roles and encrypt the database )

        by the way i believe the best database there is at this moment is MS SQL
        2005 ( SQL Express ) it is only a shame that they forgot that even a
        administrator of a system should be restricted access from a db from a
        programmers point of view in some situations

        Hope to have given you some ideas

        regards

        Michel Posseth [MCP]





        "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> schreef in bericht
        news:ehDN9mxiGH A.4284@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
        > Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net
        >
        > Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the MDB
        > file by code.
        > I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I
        > load an MDB file, I can
        > see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
        > Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always have
        > to create an Install shield.
        >
        > So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like people
        > to install somewhere.
        > Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried SQL
        > Express )
        >
        > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user would
        > have to install ontop of my
        > application install ?
        >
        > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now has
        > been working with
        > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
        >
        > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
        > Express will take its place.
        > Is this true ?
        >
        > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still go
        > with SQL Express ?
        >
        > I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know how
        > i will create my db's before i start
        > trying to code an app.
        >
        > Thank You,
        >
        > Miro
        >
        >[/color]


        Comment

        • Cor Ligthert [MVP]

          #5
          Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

          > it is only a shame that they forgot that even a administrator of a system[color=blue]
          > should be restricted access from a db from a programmers point of view in
          > some situations[/color]

          LOL


          Comment

          • raibeart

            #6
            Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

            I think you have it backwards from the Administrator's point of view.

            Programmers should always be restricted.


            Michel Posseth [MCP] wrote:[color=blue]
            > 2005 ( SQL Express ) it is only a shame that they forgot that even a
            > administrator of a system should be restricted access from a db from a
            > programmers point of view in some situations[/color]

            Comment

            • dbahooker@hotmail.com

              #7
              Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

              mdb is crap.

              spit on anyone that uses it or tells you to use it.

              sql server 2005 express friggin rocks!!!

              -Aaron


              raibeart wrote:[color=blue]
              > I think you have it backwards from the Administrator's point of view.
              >
              > Programmers should always be restricted.
              >
              >
              > Michel Posseth [MCP] wrote:[color=green]
              > > 2005 ( SQL Express ) it is only a shame that they forgot that even a
              > > administrator of a system should be restricted access from a db from a
              > > programmers point of view in some situations[/color][/color]

              Comment

              • Dennis

                #8
                Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

                If I read your comment correctly, if I have MSDE installed, then I can
                install an application that uses SQL Express...is this correct? Also, is
                MSDE installed with Windows XP Professional automatically? Thanks for any
                info you can provide as I am considering switching to SQL Express.
                --
                Dennis in Houston


                "Michel Posseth [MCP]" wrote:
                [color=blue][color=green]
                > > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user would
                > > have to install ontop of my
                > > application install ?[/color]
                >
                > well a lot of people nowadays have a sql express or MSDE instance running
                > without even knowing it
                >[color=green]
                > > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now has
                > > been working with
                > > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?[/color]
                >
                > if you know for sure all people have Jet oledb installed ( this is not
                > standard annymore in MDAC since version 2.6 )
                > okay having office installed will also work :-)
                >[color=green]
                > > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
                > > Express will take its place.
                > > Is this true ?[/color]
                >
                > In my opinion yes , you could also go for the firebird DB engine wich has
                > a verry nice .Net API is completely free ( without anny restrictions , and
                > has even an embedded version ) http://firebird.sourceforge.net/ however
                > it is not as "friendly" to start with as MSSQL
                >
                >[color=green]
                > > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still go
                > > with SQL Express ?[/color]
                >
                > This depends on the project for me .
                >
                > Why would i choose Access ( i prefer the 2000 db ) above sql express
                > 1. small ( i should say smaller ) footprint
                > 2.deployable to all Windows versions inclusive win 9.x
                > 3. security and then i mean the possibility to secure so no one else except
                > you can access the database
                > while still having the posibility to use indexes etc etc on the data (
                > this is done with a workgroup information file , using this technique you
                > can add user roles and encrypt the database )
                >
                > by the way i believe the best database there is at this moment is MS SQL
                > 2005 ( SQL Express ) it is only a shame that they forgot that even a
                > administrator of a system should be restricted access from a db from a
                > programmers point of view in some situations
                >
                > Hope to have given you some ideas
                >
                > regards
                >
                > Michel Posseth [MCP]
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> schreef in bericht
                > news:ehDN9mxiGH A.4284@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...[color=green]
                > > Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net
                > >
                > > Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the MDB
                > > file by code.
                > > I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I
                > > load an MDB file, I can
                > > see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
                > > Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always have
                > > to create an Install shield.
                > >
                > > So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like people
                > > to install somewhere.
                > > Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried SQL
                > > Express )
                > >
                > > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user would
                > > have to install ontop of my
                > > application install ?
                > >
                > > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now has
                > > been working with
                > > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
                > >
                > > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
                > > Express will take its place.
                > > Is this true ?
                > >
                > > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still go
                > > with SQL Express ?
                > >
                > > I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know how
                > > i will create my db's before i start
                > > trying to code an app.
                > >
                > > Thank You,
                > >
                > > Miro
                > >
                > >[/color]
                >
                >
                >[/color]

                Comment

                • Miro

                  #9
                  Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

                  I did like the point that was made that the Access mdb can have a password
                  so only your program can access it.

                  The SQL Express i am assuming cannot have a password on it so data can be
                  viewd from everywhere.

                  Maybe my solution will be to use both.

                  I will try SQL Express / Light... and see how it goes. Can someone please
                  confirm / tell me who does use SQL Express
                  or Light -> Is there a way to secure the DB so only the program can access
                  / view the database.

                  Thanks

                  Miro


                  "Dennis" <Dennis@discuss ions.microsoft. com> wrote in message
                  news:A4B40609-F54A-426D-BDD6-6522F6ABD6C0@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
                  > If I read your comment correctly, if I have MSDE installed, then I can
                  > install an application that uses SQL Express...is this correct? Also, is
                  > MSDE installed with Windows XP Professional automatically? Thanks for any
                  > info you can provide as I am considering switching to SQL Express.
                  > --
                  > Dennis in Houston
                  >
                  >
                  > "Michel Posseth [MCP]" wrote:
                  >[color=green][color=darkred]
                  >> > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user
                  >> > would
                  >> > have to install ontop of my
                  >> > application install ?[/color]
                  >>
                  >> well a lot of people nowadays have a sql express or MSDE instance
                  >> running
                  >> without even knowing it
                  >>[color=darkred]
                  >> > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now
                  >> > has
                  >> > been working with
                  >> > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?[/color]
                  >>
                  >> if you know for sure all people have Jet oledb installed ( this is not
                  >> standard annymore in MDAC since version 2.6 )
                  >> okay having office installed will also work :-)
                  >>[color=darkred]
                  >> > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and[/color]
                  >> SQL[color=darkred]
                  >> > Express will take its place.
                  >> > Is this true ?[/color]
                  >>
                  >> In my opinion yes , you could also go for the firebird DB engine wich
                  >> has
                  >> a verry nice .Net API is completely free ( without anny restrictions ,
                  >> and
                  >> has even an embedded version ) http://firebird.sourceforge.net/
                  >> however
                  >> it is not as "friendly" to start with as MSSQL
                  >>
                  >>[color=darkred]
                  >> > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still
                  >> > go
                  >> > with SQL Express ?[/color]
                  >>
                  >> This depends on the project for me .
                  >>
                  >> Why would i choose Access ( i prefer the 2000 db ) above sql express
                  >> 1. small ( i should say smaller ) footprint
                  >> 2.deployable to all Windows versions inclusive win 9.x
                  >> 3. security and then i mean the possibility to secure so no one else
                  >> except
                  >> you can access the database
                  >> while still having the posibility to use indexes etc etc on the data (
                  >> this is done with a workgroup information file , using this technique you
                  >> can add user roles and encrypt the database )
                  >>
                  >> by the way i believe the best database there is at this moment is MS SQL
                  >> 2005 ( SQL Express ) it is only a shame that they forgot that even a
                  >> administrator of a system should be restricted access from a db from a
                  >> programmers point of view in some situations
                  >>
                  >> Hope to have given you some ideas
                  >>
                  >> regards
                  >>
                  >> Michel Posseth [MCP]
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> schreef in bericht
                  >> news:ehDN9mxiGH A.4284@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...[color=darkred]
                  >> > Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net
                  >> >
                  >> > Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the
                  >> > MDB
                  >> > file by code.
                  >> > I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I
                  >> > load an MDB file, I can
                  >> > see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
                  >> > Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always
                  >> > have
                  >> > to create an Install shield.
                  >> >
                  >> > So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like
                  >> > people
                  >> > to install somewhere.
                  >> > Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried
                  >> > SQL
                  >> > Express )
                  >> >
                  >> > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user
                  >> > would
                  >> > have to install ontop of my
                  >> > application install ?
                  >> >
                  >> > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now
                  >> > has
                  >> > been working with
                  >> > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
                  >> >
                  >> > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
                  >> > Express will take its place.
                  >> > Is this true ?
                  >> >
                  >> > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still
                  >> > go
                  >> > with SQL Express ?
                  >> >
                  >> > I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know
                  >> > how
                  >> > i will create my db's before i start
                  >> > trying to code an app.
                  >> >
                  >> > Thank You,
                  >> >
                  >> > Miro
                  >> >
                  >> >[/color]
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>[/color][/color]


                  Comment

                  • Michel Posseth  [MCP]

                    #10
                    Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please


                    Well here we go again


                    what if the data makes the value for your program ???

                    in my previuous job i was a catalogue programmer for the Automotive
                    aftermarket

                    http://www.nohausystems.com/ ( company i worked for )

                    you also have



                    The leading provider of unedited mechanical and collision OEM repair information for the professional automotive service industry. 800-697-2533


                    EXPERTISE.Elektronische catalogi voor auto-onderdelen in de Benelux.SOLUTIONS.Innovatie en constante vooruitgang voor onze klanten en de markt. NETWORKING.Synergieën in de TOPMOTIVE Groep. OVER ONS Waarom ALDOC-TOPMOTIVE? ALDOC -TOPMOTIVE is een van de belangrijkste spelers op de markt wanneer het gaat om auto onderdelen-catalogi in de Benelux. HOOFDACTIVITEITEN Wij bieden elektronische catalogi voor automotive after-market onderdelen, gelinkt aan […]


                    etc etc etc

                    They all do basicly the same thing , hundreds of people are gathering this
                    information worldwide for different company`s
                    they difference by the quality of there gathered data ( it is nice to see
                    that a ordered part actually fits on the right car )

                    So you understand that no one should be able to see the internall data
                    structure etc etc , this is giving the actuall value to the program that
                    is why thousands of shop`s buy these programs ( believe me this is big
                    business ) .

                    So no , i did not make a mistake sometimes you want data to be accessible
                    only by your program ( all the above company`s protect there data ,,
                    believe me i tried :-) )


                    regards

                    Michel Posseth











                    "raibeart" <raibeart@gmail .com> schreef in bericht
                    news:1149798814 .230667.118340@ c74g2000cwc.goo glegroups.com.. .[color=blue]
                    >I think you have it backwards from the Administrator's point of view.
                    >
                    > Programmers should always be restricted.
                    >
                    >
                    > Michel Posseth [MCP] wrote:[color=green]
                    >> 2005 ( SQL Express ) it is only a shame that they forgot that even a
                    >> administrator of a system should be restricted access from a db from a
                    >> programmers point of view in some situations[/color]
                    >[/color]


                    Comment

                    • Michel Posseth  [MCP]

                      #11
                      Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

                      Hi Miro ,

                      All "reall" RDBMS systems have there security based on the local system
                      rights
                      i.o.w. an Administrator hass all rights so he can grant rights to the
                      database so anyone can view the data

                      With Access i am able to create a database that does not allow the
                      administrator or anyone else to open, view , or modify the data
                      i can simply create my own user with my own password ( that does not have to
                      exist on the system where the program is running )
                      and can thus open my database through my program with these user credentials

                      an option in SQL would be to use encryption on the data level , however
                      this will result in poor performance

                      regards

                      Michel Posseth



                      "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> schreef in bericht
                      news:eOip833iGH A.836@TK2MSFTNG P02.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
                      >I did like the point that was made that the Access mdb can have a password
                      >so only your program can access it.
                      >
                      > The SQL Express i am assuming cannot have a password on it so data can be
                      > viewd from everywhere.
                      >
                      > Maybe my solution will be to use both.
                      >
                      > I will try SQL Express / Light... and see how it goes. Can someone please
                      > confirm / tell me who does use SQL Express
                      > or Light -> Is there a way to secure the DB so only the program can
                      > access / view the database.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Miro
                      >
                      >
                      > "Dennis" <Dennis@discuss ions.microsoft. com> wrote in message
                      > news:A4B40609-F54A-426D-BDD6-6522F6ABD6C0@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
                      >> If I read your comment correctly, if I have MSDE installed, then I can
                      >> install an application that uses SQL Express...is this correct? Also, is
                      >> MSDE installed with Windows XP Professional automatically? Thanks for
                      >> any
                      >> info you can provide as I am considering switching to SQL Express.
                      >> --
                      >> Dennis in Houston
                      >>
                      >>
                      >> "Michel Posseth [MCP]" wrote:
                      >>[color=darkred]
                      >>> > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user
                      >>> > would
                      >>> > have to install ontop of my
                      >>> > application install ?
                      >>>
                      >>> well a lot of people nowadays have a sql express or MSDE instance
                      >>> running
                      >>> without even knowing it
                      >>>
                      >>> > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now
                      >>> > has
                      >>> > been working with
                      >>> > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
                      >>>
                      >>> if you know for sure all people have Jet oledb installed ( this is not
                      >>> standard annymore in MDAC since version 2.6 )
                      >>> okay having office installed will also work :-)
                      >>>
                      >>> > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and
                      >>> SQL
                      >>> > Express will take its place.
                      >>> > Is this true ?
                      >>>
                      >>> In my opinion yes , you could also go for the firebird DB engine wich
                      >>> has
                      >>> a verry nice .Net API is completely free ( without anny restrictions ,
                      >>> and
                      >>> has even an embedded version ) http://firebird.sourceforge.net/
                      >>> however
                      >>> it is not as "friendly" to start with as MSSQL
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>> > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still
                      >>> > go
                      >>> > with SQL Express ?
                      >>>
                      >>> This depends on the project for me .
                      >>>
                      >>> Why would i choose Access ( i prefer the 2000 db ) above sql express
                      >>> 1. small ( i should say smaller ) footprint
                      >>> 2.deployable to all Windows versions inclusive win 9.x
                      >>> 3. security and then i mean the possibility to secure so no one else
                      >>> except
                      >>> you can access the database
                      >>> while still having the posibility to use indexes etc etc on the data (
                      >>> this is done with a workgroup information file , using this technique
                      >>> you
                      >>> can add user roles and encrypt the database )
                      >>>
                      >>> by the way i believe the best database there is at this moment is MS SQL
                      >>> 2005 ( SQL Express ) it is only a shame that they forgot that even a
                      >>> administrator of a system should be restricted access from a db from a
                      >>> programmers point of view in some situations
                      >>>
                      >>> Hope to have given you some ideas
                      >>>
                      >>> regards
                      >>>
                      >>> Michel Posseth [MCP]
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>> "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> schreef in bericht
                      >>> news:ehDN9mxiGH A.4284@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...
                      >>> > Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net
                      >>> >
                      >>> > Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the
                      >>> > MDB
                      >>> > file by code.
                      >>> > I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I
                      >>> > load an MDB file, I can
                      >>> > see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
                      >>> > Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always
                      >>> > have
                      >>> > to create an Install shield.
                      >>> >
                      >>> > So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like
                      >>> > people
                      >>> > to install somewhere.
                      >>> > Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried
                      >>> > SQL
                      >>> > Express )
                      >>> >
                      >>> > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user
                      >>> > would
                      >>> > have to install ontop of my
                      >>> > application install ?
                      >>> >
                      >>> > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now
                      >>> > has
                      >>> > been working with
                      >>> > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
                      >>> >
                      >>> > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and
                      >>> > SQL
                      >>> > Express will take its place.
                      >>> > Is this true ?
                      >>> >
                      >>> > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still
                      >>> > go
                      >>> > with SQL Express ?
                      >>> >
                      >>> > I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know
                      >>> > how
                      >>> > i will create my db's before i start
                      >>> > trying to code an app.
                      >>> >
                      >>> > Thank You,
                      >>> >
                      >>> > Miro
                      >>> >
                      >>> >
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>>[/color][/color]
                      >
                      >[/color]


                      Comment

                      • Michel Posseth  [MCP]

                        #12
                        Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please


                        The answer is Yes if you mean if they can run side by side
                        [color=blue]
                        > MSDE installed with Windows XP Professional automatically? Thanks for any
                        > info you can provide as I am considering switching to SQL Express.[/color]

                        Well i do not no that for sure however a lot of the server functionality
                        uses MSDE in the background ( IIS for instance ) so it wouldn`t suprise me

                        regards

                        Michel Posseth [MCP]




                        "Dennis" <Dennis@discuss ions.microsoft. com> schreef in bericht
                        news:A4B40609-F54A-426D-BDD6-6522F6ABD6C0@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
                        > If I read your comment correctly, if I have MSDE installed, then I can
                        > install an application that uses SQL Express...is this correct? Also, is
                        > MSDE installed with Windows XP Professional automatically? Thanks for any
                        > info you can provide as I am considering switching to SQL Express.
                        > --
                        > Dennis in Houston
                        >
                        >
                        > "Michel Posseth [MCP]" wrote:
                        >[color=green][color=darkred]
                        >> > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user
                        >> > would
                        >> > have to install ontop of my
                        >> > application install ?[/color]
                        >>
                        >> well a lot of people nowadays have a sql express or MSDE instance
                        >> running
                        >> without even knowing it
                        >>[color=darkred]
                        >> > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now
                        >> > has
                        >> > been working with
                        >> > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?[/color]
                        >>
                        >> if you know for sure all people have Jet oledb installed ( this is not
                        >> standard annymore in MDAC since version 2.6 )
                        >> okay having office installed will also work :-)
                        >>[color=darkred]
                        >> > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and[/color]
                        >> SQL[color=darkred]
                        >> > Express will take its place.
                        >> > Is this true ?[/color]
                        >>
                        >> In my opinion yes , you could also go for the firebird DB engine wich
                        >> has
                        >> a verry nice .Net API is completely free ( without anny restrictions ,
                        >> and
                        >> has even an embedded version ) http://firebird.sourceforge.net/
                        >> however
                        >> it is not as "friendly" to start with as MSSQL
                        >>
                        >>[color=darkred]
                        >> > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still
                        >> > go
                        >> > with SQL Express ?[/color]
                        >>
                        >> This depends on the project for me .
                        >>
                        >> Why would i choose Access ( i prefer the 2000 db ) above sql express
                        >> 1. small ( i should say smaller ) footprint
                        >> 2.deployable to all Windows versions inclusive win 9.x
                        >> 3. security and then i mean the possibility to secure so no one else
                        >> except
                        >> you can access the database
                        >> while still having the posibility to use indexes etc etc on the data (
                        >> this is done with a workgroup information file , using this technique you
                        >> can add user roles and encrypt the database )
                        >>
                        >> by the way i believe the best database there is at this moment is MS SQL
                        >> 2005 ( SQL Express ) it is only a shame that they forgot that even a
                        >> administrator of a system should be restricted access from a db from a
                        >> programmers point of view in some situations
                        >>
                        >> Hope to have given you some ideas
                        >>
                        >> regards
                        >>
                        >> Michel Posseth [MCP]
                        >>
                        >>
                        >>
                        >>
                        >>
                        >> "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> schreef in bericht
                        >> news:ehDN9mxiGH A.4284@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...[color=darkred]
                        >> > Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net
                        >> >
                        >> > Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the
                        >> > MDB
                        >> > file by code.
                        >> > I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I
                        >> > load an MDB file, I can
                        >> > see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
                        >> > Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always
                        >> > have
                        >> > to create an Install shield.
                        >> >
                        >> > So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like
                        >> > people
                        >> > to install somewhere.
                        >> > Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried
                        >> > SQL
                        >> > Express )
                        >> >
                        >> > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user
                        >> > would
                        >> > have to install ontop of my
                        >> > application install ?
                        >> >
                        >> > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now
                        >> > has
                        >> > been working with
                        >> > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
                        >> >
                        >> > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
                        >> > Express will take its place.
                        >> > Is this true ?
                        >> >
                        >> > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still
                        >> > go
                        >> > with SQL Express ?
                        >> >
                        >> > I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know
                        >> > how
                        >> > i will create my db's before i start
                        >> > trying to code an app.
                        >> >
                        >> > Thank You,
                        >> >
                        >> > Miro
                        >> >
                        >> >[/color]
                        >>
                        >>
                        >>[/color][/color]


                        Comment

                        • William \(Bill\) Vaughn

                          #13
                          Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

                          Miro,
                          This is one of the most hotly debated topics around so expect quite a
                          few opinions. My TechEd talk (which might be posted online on the Microsoft
                          site sometime in the near future) discusses where SQL Server Express Edition
                          fits in relation to JET/Access and the newest DBMS system SQL Server
                          Everywhere (SQL Ev). Yes, there are a lot of choices and each has its place.
                          A number of factors should be considered when you're trying to decide which
                          approach to take.
                          I won't burden you with the details here, but I did post a new blog
                          entry to try to highlight the issues. See
                          Welcome to the home of William Vaughn's Imagination, creations, and advice.


                          hth
                          --
                          _______________ _______________ ______
                          William (Bill) Vaughn
                          Author, Mentor, Consultant
                          Microsoft MVP
                          INETA Speaker
                          Welcome to the home of William Vaughn's Imagination, creations, and advice.

                          Welcome to the home of William Vaughn's Imagination, creations, and advice.

                          Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
                          This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
                          _______________ _______________ ____

                          "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> wrote in message
                          news:ehDN9mxiGH A.4284@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
                          > Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net
                          >
                          > Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the MDB
                          > file by code.
                          > I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I
                          > load an MDB file, I can
                          > see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
                          > Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always have
                          > to create an Install shield.
                          >
                          > So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like people
                          > to install somewhere.
                          > Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried SQL
                          > Express )
                          >
                          > 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user would
                          > have to install ontop of my
                          > application install ?
                          >
                          > 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now has
                          > been working with
                          > MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
                          >
                          > 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
                          > Express will take its place.
                          > Is this true ?
                          >
                          > So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still go
                          > with SQL Express ?
                          >
                          > I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know how
                          > i will create my db's before i start
                          > trying to code an app.
                          >
                          > Thank You,
                          >
                          > Miro
                          >
                          >[/color]


                          Comment

                          • Miro

                            #14
                            Re: SQL Express or MDB - opinions please

                            Yes I can see that each has its own +'s and minus's

                            In my case my final solution was to write it with standard mdb files ( jet )
                            and then later
                            make an sql express version.
                            Im still learning vb, but for me,
                            1. Not too complicate things for me nor users.
                            2. Keep it simple. Its not gonna be a master huge great program. Just
                            something for me to create and learn
                            vb.net at the same time.
                            3. Users are not computer savvy, so its easier for 1 install, and me to
                            handle everything programmaticall y.
                            4. Im use to jet files, so learning vb.net with something that is at least
                            a tad familiar.

                            Thank you all for all the posts.

                            If I would have known there was another discussion on the same thing earlier
                            in this newsgroup I would have posted
                            and read all those first. Ill search harder next time.

                            Thank you again,

                            Miro



                            "William (Bill) Vaughn" <billvaRemoveTh is@nwlink.com> wrote in message
                            news:%23xoAPxIl GHA.1264@TK2MSF TNGP05.phx.gbl. ..[color=blue]
                            > Miro,
                            > This is one of the most hotly debated topics around so expect quite a
                            > few opinions. My TechEd talk (which might be posted online on the
                            > Microsoft site sometime in the near future) discusses where SQL Server
                            > Express Edition fits in relation to JET/Access and the newest DBMS system
                            > SQL Server Everywhere (SQL Ev). Yes, there are a lot of choices and each
                            > has its place. A number of factors should be considered when you're trying
                            > to decide which approach to take.
                            > I won't burden you with the details here, but I did post a new blog
                            > entry to try to highlight the issues. See
                            > http://betav.com/blog/billva/2006/06...ss_j.html#more
                            >
                            > hth
                            > --
                            > _______________ _______________ ______
                            > William (Bill) Vaughn
                            > Author, Mentor, Consultant
                            > Microsoft MVP
                            > INETA Speaker
                            > www.betav.com/blog/billva
                            > www.betav.com
                            > Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
                            > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
                            > rights.
                            > _______________ _______________ ____
                            >
                            > "Miro" <mironagy@golde n.net> wrote in message
                            > news:ehDN9mxiGH A.4284@TK2MSFTN GP05.phx.gbl...[color=green]
                            >> Ok I have been slowely - and ever so slowely teaching myself VB.net
                            >>
                            >> Currently I have created an MDB file by code, and added fields to the MDB
                            >> file by code.
                            >> I like this solution because, ( im assuming ) if I create an EXE and I
                            >> load an MDB file, I can
                            >> see if certain fields are there, and if not add them.
                            >> Kinda like an Update that is imbeded into the EXE, so you dont always
                            >> have to create an Install shield.
                            >>
                            >> So... Lets say my goal is to have an application that I would like people
                            >> to install somewhere.
                            >> Why choose SQL Express over a simple MDB file? ( i have never tried SQL
                            >> Express )
                            >>
                            >> 1. As I am assuming...SQL express is a second install that a user would
                            >> have to install ontop of my
                            >> application install ?
                            >>
                            >> 2. MDB files would be easier to work with because everyone till now has
                            >> been working with
                            >> MDB files so any help required is easier to get to ?
                            >>
                            >> 3. People have told me MDB files will slowely be processed out and SQL
                            >> Express will take its place.
                            >> Is this true ?
                            >>
                            >> So if you were to write an application from scratch. Would you still go
                            >> with SQL Express ?
                            >>
                            >> I am knocking my head back and forth on this. And would like to know how
                            >> i will create my db's before i start
                            >> trying to code an app.
                            >>
                            >> Thank You,
                            >>
                            >> Miro
                            >>
                            >>[/color]
                            >
                            >[/color]


                            Comment

                            Working...