SET ARITHABORT ON: Why (not)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pieter

    #1

    SET ARITHABORT ON: Why (not)?

    Hi,

    I recently started using Indexed Views in my SQL Server 2000 (Enterprise
    Edition), so I need "SET ARITHABORT ON" when doing an insert or update on
    one of the concerend tables.

    I was wondering if it would be 'better' to set the ARITHABORT ON for the
    database by default, so I wouldn't have to change it everytime, but I'm not
    sure if this will have somewhere a negative impact?

    Any considerations I have to take in account? Or should I jsut go for it and
    SET ARITHABORT ON?

    I'ts a 'normal' database, with tables, views, indexed views (1), stored
    procedures, and the data in the database are used and manipulated by
    Reporting Services and VB.NET 2003-applications.

    Thanks a lot in advance,

    Pieter


  • Uri Dimant

    #2
    Re: SET ARITHABORT ON: Why (not)?

    Hi
    This setting is coming along with ANSI_WARNINGS
    BOL has pretty good explanations about those settings, have you read it?


    "Pieter" <pietercoucke@h otmail.com> wrote in message
    news:%23ObhKuyf GHA.4776@TK2MSF TNGP05.phx.gbl. ..[color=blue]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently started using Indexed Views in my SQL Server 2000 (Enterprise
    > Edition), so I need "SET ARITHABORT ON" when doing an insert or update on
    > one of the concerend tables.
    >
    > I was wondering if it would be 'better' to set the ARITHABORT ON for the
    > database by default, so I wouldn't have to change it everytime, but I'm
    > not sure if this will have somewhere a negative impact?
    >
    > Any considerations I have to take in account? Or should I jsut go for it
    > and SET ARITHABORT ON?
    >
    > I'ts a 'normal' database, with tables, views, indexed views (1), stored
    > procedures, and the data in the database are used and manipulated by
    > Reporting Services and VB.NET 2003-applications.
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance,
    >
    > Pieter
    >[/color]


    Comment

    • Hugo Kornelis

      #3
      Re: SET ARITHABORT ON: Why (not)?

      On Wed, 24 May 2006 14:13:57 +0200, Pieter wrote:
      [color=blue]
      >Hi,
      >
      >I recently started using Indexed Views in my SQL Server 2000 (Enterprise
      >Edition), so I need "SET ARITHABORT ON" when doing an insert or update on
      >one of the concerend tables.
      >
      >I was wondering if it would be 'better' to set the ARITHABORT ON for the
      >database by default, so I wouldn't have to change it everytime, but I'm not
      >sure if this will have somewhere a negative impact?
      >
      >Any considerations I have to take in account? Or should I jsut go for it and
      >SET ARITHABORT ON?[/color]

      Hi Pieter,

      I'd go for it, unless you have functionality that depends on the
      behaviour of SET ARITHABORT OFF.

      Be aware that many front-end tools override various settings for the
      connection as soon as the connection is made. Changing the database
      options might not be enough - you might have to change the default
      connection settings in your front-end as well.

      --
      Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP

      Comment

      • Pieter

        #4
        Re: SET ARITHABORT ON: Why (not)?

        Yes I read it. Based on the info I found there I don't really see harm in
        setting ARITHABORT ON... But I hoped somebody could assure me :-)

        "Uri Dimant" <urid@iscar.co. il> wrote in message
        news:%23cDxU0yf GHA.4880@TK2MSF TNGP03.phx.gbl. ..[color=blue]
        > Hi
        > This setting is coming along with ANSI_WARNINGS
        > BOL has pretty good explanations about those settings, have you read it?[/color]


        Comment

        • Uri Dimant

          #5
          Re: SET ARITHABORT ON: Why (not)?

          Pieter
          It really depends on your business requiremensts ann would no applied to
          every case.




          "Pieter" <pietercoucke@h otmail.com> wrote in message
          news:OCDTr$yfGH A.4172@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
          > Yes I read it. Based on the info I found there I don't really see harm in
          > setting ARITHABORT ON... But I hoped somebody could assure me :-)
          >
          > "Uri Dimant" <urid@iscar.co. il> wrote in message
          > news:%23cDxU0yf GHA.4880@TK2MSF TNGP03.phx.gbl. ..[color=green]
          >> Hi
          >> This setting is coming along with ANSI_WARNINGS
          >> BOL has pretty good explanations about those settings, have you read it?[/color]
          >
          >[/color]


          Comment

          Working...