Project won't run from network drive.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dave Harry

    #1

    Project won't run from network drive.

    Pardon the crosspost, didn't know where to put this one.

    I upgraded a project from VB6 to dotNET 2005.
    It compiles and runs ok on a local disk, but if I put the EXE on a mapped
    network drive it just apologises for the invonvenience of not running.

    Copying the EXE file to the desktop, it works a treat.

    A created a blank application (just a new form) and put it on the network
    and it executed ok.

    What should I do?

    --
    Dave Harry


  • Tobias Schröer

    #2
    Re: Project won't run from network drive.

    Hi,

    Dave Harry schrieb:[color=blue]
    > Pardon the crosspost, didn't know where to put this one.
    >
    > I upgraded a project from VB6 to dotNET 2005.
    > It compiles and runs ok on a local disk, but if I put the EXE on a mapped
    > network drive it just apologises for the invonvenience of not running.
    >
    > Copying the EXE file to the desktop, it works a treat.
    >
    > A created a blank application (just a new form) and put it on the network
    > and it executed ok.[/color]

    what does your application do? I suppose you collide with the security
    policies. Policies for the local intranet are stricter than for the
    local machine (the latter is FullTrust by default). The LocalIntranet
    zone policy blocks the SQL Client for example (so it is with .Net 1.1, I
    don't know about .Net 2.0 in this matter).

    hth
    Tobi

    x-post to m.p.d.g, m.p.d.l.v, m.p.d.l.v.u
    fup2 m.p.d.g

    Comment

    • Patrice

      #3
      Re: Project won't run from network drive.

      ..NET also handles security in a way similar to IE "zones". By default code
      running from the network doesn't have the right to perform all operations...

      Look around
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...figuration.asp

      --
      Patrice

      "Dave Harry" <DaveHarry@plea se.keep.replies .in.the.newsgro up> a écrit dans
      le message de news: u6lacDvfGHA.510 4@TK2MSFTNGP04. phx.gbl...[color=blue]
      > Pardon the crosspost, didn't know where to put this one.
      >
      > I upgraded a project from VB6 to dotNET 2005.
      > It compiles and runs ok on a local disk, but if I put the EXE on a mapped
      > network drive it just apologises for the invonvenience of not running.
      >
      > Copying the EXE file to the desktop, it works a treat.
      >
      > A created a blank application (just a new form) and put it on the network
      > and it executed ok.
      >
      > What should I do?
      >
      > --
      > Dave Harry
      >[/color]


      Comment

      • Paul Clement

        #4
        Re: Project won't run from network drive.

        On Wed, 24 May 2006 15:13:56 +1000, "Dave Harry" <DaveHarry@plea se.keep.replies .in.the.newsgro up>
        wrote:

        ¤ Pardon the crosspost, didn't know where to put this one.
        ¤
        ¤ I upgraded a project from VB6 to dotNET 2005.
        ¤ It compiles and runs ok on a local disk, but if I put the EXE on a mapped
        ¤ network drive it just apologises for the invonvenience of not running.
        ¤
        ¤ Copying the EXE file to the desktop, it works a treat.
        ¤
        ¤ A created a blank application (just a new form) and put it on the network
        ¤ and it executed ok.
        ¤
        ¤ What should I do?

        See the following:

        How to deploy a .NET Framework application to run from a network location
        Microsoft Support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows 11, Surface, and more.



        Paul
        ~~~~
        Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

        Comment

        • Dave Harry

          #5
          Re: Project won't run from network drive.


          "Tobias Schröer" <tobias-schroeerNOSPAM@ gmx.de> wrote in message
          news:e50vh0$hpt $1@news.citykom .de...[color=blue]
          > Hi,
          >
          > Dave Harry schrieb:[color=green]
          >> Pardon the crosspost, didn't know where to put this one.
          >>
          >> I upgraded a project from VB6 to dotNET 2005.
          >> It compiles and runs ok on a local disk, but if I put the EXE on a mapped
          >> network drive it just apologises for the invonvenience of not running.
          >>
          >> Copying the EXE file to the desktop, it works a treat.
          >>
          >> A created a blank application (just a new form) and put it on the network
          >> and it executed ok.[/color]
          >
          > what does your application do? I suppose you collide with the security
          > policies. Policies for the local intranet are stricter than for the local
          > machine (the latter is FullTrust by default). The LocalIntranet zone
          > policy blocks the SQL Client for example (so it is with .Net 1.1, I don't
          > know about .Net 2.0 in this matter).
          >
          > hth
          > Tobi
          >
          > x-post to m.p.d.g, m.p.d.l.v, m.p.d.l.v.u
          > fup2 m.p.d.g[/color]

          Basically it's a glorified, but very device specific, terminal program.
          The main function of the application is to access serial COM ports. It
          creates files on the local computer, downloading and converting data
          received from a device. No SQL is involved.

          It seems I can add permissions to the project itself, rather than having to
          configure something on the client machine? How can I do that?


          --
          Dave Harry


          Comment

          • Tobias Schröer

            #6
            Re: Project won't run from network drive.

            Dave Harry schrieb:[color=blue]
            > "Tobias Schröer" <tobias-schroeerNOSPAM@ gmx.de> wrote in message
            > news:e50vh0$hpt $1@news.citykom .de...
            >[color=green]
            >>Hi,
            >>
            >>Dave Harry schrieb:
            >>[color=darkred]
            >>>Pardon the crosspost, didn't know where to put this one.[/color][/color][/color]

            Why are you ignoring my follow up then?
            [color=blue][color=green]
            >>what does your application do? I suppose you collide with the security
            >>policies. Policies for the local intranet are stricter than for the local
            >>machine (the latter is FullTrust by default). The LocalIntranet zone
            >>policy blocks the SQL Client for example (so it is with .Net 1.1, I don't
            >>know about .Net 2.0 in this matter).[/color]
            >
            > Basically it's a glorified, but very device specific, terminal program.
            > The main function of the application is to access serial COM ports. It
            > creates files on the local computer, downloading and converting data
            > received from a device. No SQL is involved.[/color]

            SQL served as an example here. File I/O is not allowed in the (.Net 1.1)
            LocalIntranet policy.
            [color=blue]
            > It seems I can add permissions to the project itself, rather than having to
            > configure something on the client machine? How can I do that?[/color]

            You can configure each assembly, yes. But you have to do this on the
            client machine. If you could deploy custom security settings, the whole
            thing would be obsolete.
            But there must be ways to deploy a security policy in an automated way.
            Sadly, I have none at hand :(


            Tobi

            x-post to m.p.d.g, m.p.d.l.v, m.p.d.l.v.u
            fup2 m.p.d.g


            Comment

            Working...