Can't read xml to Excel (dataset.WriteXml)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Morten Snedker

    #1

    Can't read xml to Excel (dataset.WriteXml)

    I'm using this code to generate an XML-file:

    If File.Exists("d: \k2b.xls") Then File.Delete("d: \k2b.xls")
    Dim fs As New System.IO.FileS tream("d:\k2b.x ml",
    IO.FileMode.Cre ateNew)


    dsP.WriteXml(fs )


    fs.Close()
    fs.Dispose()

    When importing to Excel 2000 (10.0) it shows the entire xml-code (as
    if opened with text editor). What am I doing wrong?

    --
    I've posted this question before, but forgot to follow up. Andrew
    Morton kindly responded and asked:

    "If you save it with an extension of .xls instead, does Excel then
    "understand " it?"

    The answer is no. The result can be seen at
    www.dbconsult.dk/ms/xls.jpg.

    /Snedker



  • Andrew Morton

    #2
    Re: Can't read xml to Excel (dataset.WriteX ml)

    Morten Snedker wrote:[color=blue]
    > I'm using this code to generate an XML-file:
    >
    > If File.Exists("d: \k2b.xls") Then File.Delete("d: \k2b.xls")
    > Dim fs As New System.IO.FileS tream("d:\k2b.x ml",
    > IO.FileMode.Cre ateNew)
    > dsP.WriteXml(fs )
    > fs.Close()
    > fs.Dispose()
    >
    > When importing to Excel 2000 (10.0) it shows the entire xml-code (as
    > if opened with text editor). What am I doing wrong?[/color]
    [color=blue][color=green]
    >> "If you save it with an extension of .xls instead, does Excel then
    >> "understand " it?"[/color][/color]
    [color=blue]
    > The answer is no. The result can be seen at
    > www.dbconsult.dk/ms/xls.jpg.[/color]

    Something less than an ideal result :-(

    Unless someone has a better idea, perhaps you could save an xml file from
    Excel (I only have Excel 2000, so I can't) and have a look at what Excel
    expects to see.

    Does it help if you use the WriteXml(Stream , XmlWriteMode) method to save
    the schema with it?

    Or you could write out the data in CSV format and Excel will happily read
    that, although I don't know what it'll do with a date in that format.

    Andrew


    Comment

    Working...