XQuery amd SQL 2005

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BK

    #1

    XQuery amd SQL 2005

    I am working on system that will have a cataloging component which would
    essentially be a Folder/File structure. So far I have coded the Iteration
    over a selected folder and am displaying the data/structure in a TreeView
    (VB.NET 2005). I then serialize the Treeview and store the serialized XML in
    a SQL 2005 XML
    Column. I can also retrieve an entire XML (one record, that is) and (re)
    rebuild
    the TreeView by de-serializing.

    Never having worked with XML, I think I could make the serialized XML
    smaller. Presently, I am displaying File Name and related attributes
    (Creation Date, Size etc) as child nodes to the FileName Node. This makes the
    serialized XML large. If I knew more about XML, I would have been able to
    put them in as Attributes and display them "On Click" or something.

    What I need now - is for help on how to build a xQuery to select FRAGMENTS
    from all XMLs in the Database – filtered/searched on say, a File Name, and
    return those (xml fragments) to the Client (VB Interface).

    Does XQuery have a client-Side XQuery Implementation? Or will I have to work
    with Stored Procedures? Any XML related suggestions on building the TreeView
    and developing and executing the XQuery would be much appreciated.

    I inadvertently posted this message as a comment in a csharp forum - but I
    work in vb.net.

    Thanks.


  • Alex Clark

    #2
    Re: XQuery amd SQL 2005

    Hi BK,

    XQuery was dropped from .NET 2.0 prior to the RTM version being released, so
    there isn't an inbuilt client side implementation that you can use (most
    unfortunate, but I understand MS's reasons for doing so). I think there are
    a few open source implementations of XQuery available on SourceForge maybe?

    Regards,
    Alex



    "BK" <BK@discussions .microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:4470B2D6-E132-46EE-84D6-E49A13F4953A@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
    >I am working on system that will have a cataloging component which would
    > essentially be a Folder/File structure. So far I have coded the Iteration
    > over a selected folder and am displaying the data/structure in a TreeView
    > (VB.NET 2005). I then serialize the Treeview and store the serialized XML
    > in
    > a SQL 2005 XML
    > Column. I can also retrieve an entire XML (one record, that is) and (re)
    > rebuild
    > the TreeView by de-serializing.
    >
    > Never having worked with XML, I think I could make the serialized XML
    > smaller. Presently, I am displaying File Name and related attributes
    > (Creation Date, Size etc) as child nodes to the FileName Node. This makes
    > the
    > serialized XML large. If I knew more about XML, I would have been able to
    > put them in as Attributes and display them "On Click" or something.
    >
    > What I need now - is for help on how to build a xQuery to select FRAGMENTS
    > from all XMLs in the Database - filtered/searched on say, a File Name, and
    > return those (xml fragments) to the Client (VB Interface).
    >
    > Does XQuery have a client-Side XQuery Implementation? Or will I have to
    > work
    > with Stored Procedures? Any XML related suggestions on building the
    > TreeView
    > and developing and executing the XQuery would be much appreciated.
    >
    > I inadvertently posted this message as a comment in a csharp forum - but I
    > work in vb.net.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >[/color]


    Comment

    • BK

      #3
      Re: XQuery amd SQL 2005

      If I sent a search criteria to a SQL 2005 Stored Procedure - and the Stored
      Procedure returns a XML Fragment - would I be able to use that in the VB
      Client? Maybe work through Strings?

      Thanks.

      "Alex Clark" wrote:
      [color=blue]
      > Hi BK,
      >
      > XQuery was dropped from .NET 2.0 prior to the RTM version being released, so
      > there isn't an inbuilt client side implementation that you can use (most
      > unfortunate, but I understand MS's reasons for doing so). I think there are
      > a few open source implementations of XQuery available on SourceForge maybe?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Alex
      >
      >
      >
      > "BK" <BK@discussions .microsoft.com> wrote in message
      > news:4470B2D6-E132-46EE-84D6-E49A13F4953A@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
      > >I am working on system that will have a cataloging component which would
      > > essentially be a Folder/File structure. So far I have coded the Iteration
      > > over a selected folder and am displaying the data/structure in a TreeView
      > > (VB.NET 2005). I then serialize the Treeview and store the serialized XML
      > > in
      > > a SQL 2005 XML
      > > Column. I can also retrieve an entire XML (one record, that is) and (re)
      > > rebuild
      > > the TreeView by de-serializing.
      > >
      > > Never having worked with XML, I think I could make the serialized XML
      > > smaller. Presently, I am displaying File Name and related attributes
      > > (Creation Date, Size etc) as child nodes to the FileName Node. This makes
      > > the
      > > serialized XML large. If I knew more about XML, I would have been able to
      > > put them in as Attributes and display them "On Click" or something.
      > >
      > > What I need now - is for help on how to build a xQuery to select FRAGMENTS
      > > from all XMLs in the Database - filtered/searched on say, a File Name, and
      > > return those (xml fragments) to the Client (VB Interface).
      > >
      > > Does XQuery have a client-Side XQuery Implementation? Or will I have to
      > > work
      > > with Stored Procedures? Any XML related suggestions on building the
      > > TreeView
      > > and developing and executing the XQuery would be much appreciated.
      > >
      > > I inadvertently posted this message as a comment in a csharp forum - but I
      > > work in vb.net.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > >[/color]
      >
      >
      >[/color]

      Comment

      Working...