Usual Databinding Question - UNusual Requirements

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Neo Geshel

    #1

    Usual Databinding Question - UNusual Requirements

    Greetings!

    I have a rather unusual request about a rather basic need. I need to be
    able to bind data to a page, but WITHOUT using a Repeater, DataGrid or
    DataList.

    Why?

    Well, I have some formatting and JavaScript issues that require each and
    every form element's ID to remain unchanged. Unfortunately, whenever
    data binding occurs within a Repeater, DataList or DataGrid, the form
    ID’s are changed to something different (i.e., there is additional stuff
    appended to the ID name to allow ASP.NET to track it).

    I know I can data bind a single item to a single form element by using
    ExecuteScalar() . That is, the following works great if all I want is to
    bind the contents of a single database field to a single form element:

    Sub EditIntro()
    Dim myConn as New
    OleDbConnection (ConfigurationS ettings.AppSett ings("strConn") )
    Dim myCmd as New OleDbCommand("S ELECT [Comment] FROM [tblIntro]", myConn)
    myConn.Open()
    ltrlIntro.Text = FormatData(myCm d.ExecuteScalar ())
    IntroComment.Te xt = myCmd.ExecuteSc alar()
    myConn.Close()
    End Sub

    In this example, a single database field (for which only one entry, or
    row, exists) is bound to both a literal (providing an excellent preview
    of the database field’s contents) as well as a form <textarea> (so that
    the current contents of the database field can be displayed and any
    changes updated).

    However, I need to be able to bind multiple database fields of just a
    single database entry (or row) to multiple literals and multiple form
    fields. Since I will be calling up just one database entry, I do not
    want to use a Repeater, DataList or DataGrid, since these are best used
    for displaying multiple database entries and will muck up the ID’s that
    are used by the form fields.

    Are there any online resources that I can be pointed to? Or does anyone
    have any ideas?

    PS, I would like any solution, if possible, to be applicable to both
    ASP.NET 1.1 as well as ASP.NET 2.0. I am building an XHTML 1.1 + CSS 2.1
    compliant web app, so I need flexibility.

    TIA
    ...Geshel
    --
    *************** *************** *************** *************** ***********
    * My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use *
    * it unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my *
    * first name at my last name dot org. *
    *************** *************** *************** *************** ***********
    “Anyone who believes in Intelligent Design (“creationism ”) is just as
    ignorant and ill-educated as someone who believes that the world is
    flat, that the Sun circles the Earth or that there really is a tooth
    fairy. Darwinism has an overwhelming foundation of evidence that can be
    tested and reproduced. Intelligent Design, on the other hand, has no
    evidence at all; not one single shred of testable proof. As such,
    Intelligent Design is Religious Mythology, and has no right whatsoever
    to be in our Science classrooms.” - 99.99+% of Scientists
    *************** *************** *************** *************** ***********
    Mignon McLaughlin once said that “A nymphomaniac is a woman [who is] as
    obsessed with sex as the average man.” Unfortunately, since true
    nymphomaniacs are so rare, this means that it takes an extraordinary
    woman to keep up with an ordinary man.
    *************** *************** *************** *************** ***********
  • Tapio Kulmala

    #2
    Re: Usual Databinding Question - UNusual Requirements

    try this:


    Sub EditIntro()
    Dim myConn as
    New OleDbConnection (ConfigurationS ettings.AppSett ings("strConn") )
    Dim myCmd as New OleDbCommand("S ELECT [Comment] FROM [tblIntro]",
    myConn)
    myConn.Open()

    Dim rdr As OleDbDataReader
    rdr = myCmd.ExecuteRe ader()
    rdr.Read()

    ltrlIntro.Text = FormatData(rdr( "Comment"))
    IntroComment.Te xt = rdr("Comment")

    myConn.Close()
    End Sub


    Now you can add more columns into your select-statement and use use them
    in your program any way you want.



    --
    *************** *************** *************** *************** ****
    Tapio Kulmala

    "Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."

    - Groucho Marx
    *************** *************** *************** *************** ****

    Comment

    • Flinky Wisty Pomm

      #3
      Re: Usual Databinding Question - UNusual Requirements

      I'm the awkward type, so I might try and fix the other problem: your
      dependency on an ID. I use classes over unique IDs for CSS, and I've
      got a quick and dirty JScript function that takes an id and a tagname
      and searches for matching elements, returning the first match.

      Is there a similar workaround in your case?

      Comment

      Working...