Compressing (zipping) files

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • reidarT

    #1

    Compressing (zipping) files

    I will develop a backup routine with local files (zipped) to an internet
    server via ftp.
    How do I zip files in Vb.net?

    reidarT


  • Cor Ligthert [MVP]

    #2
    Re: Compressing (zipping) files

    Reidar,

    Am I blind?

    A lot of people have tried to help you. Did you not pay attention to it?



    Cor


    Comment

    • Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

      #3
      Re: Compressing (zipping) files

      "reidarT" <reidar@eivon.n o> schrieb:[color=blue]
      >I will develop a backup routine with local files (zipped) to an internet
      >server via ftp.
      > How do I zip files in Vb.net?[/color]

      ZIP files:

      The Zip, GZip, BZip2 and Tar Implementation For .NET
      <URL:http://www.icsharpcode .net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/>

      The VB.NET Resource Kit contains zipping functionality too (note that the
      Resource Kit is not available any more, so the answer applies for the case
      that you already have a copy of the Resource Kit):

      The Visual Basic .NET Resource Kit
      <URL:http://msdn.microsoft. com/vbasic/vbrkit/>

      It contains ComponentOne Zip for .NET:

      ComponentOne ZipT for .NET
      <URL:http://www.componenton e.com/products.aspx?T abTypeID=1&Item Type=1&PanelInd ex=14&ItemID=53 569&SubCategory TypeID=0&TabMap ID=57&TabID=70>

      Using J#'s zip functionality:

      Using the Zip Classes in the J# Class Libraries to Compress Files and Data
      with C#
      <URL:http://msdn.microsoft. com/msdnmag/issues/03/06/zipcompression/>

      ..NET 2.0 will contain ZIP support too.

      CAB files:

      Microsoft Cabinet Software Development Kit
      <URL:http://support.microso ft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;310618>

      You can build CAB files using the "MAKECAB.EX E" utility that is IIRC
      included in Windows. For extracting CAB files, you can use Microsoft's
      "EXTRACT.EX E", which is available on the Windows XP CD or as part of the
      Windows XP Support Tools:

      <URL:http://groups.google.d e/groups?selm=u%2 4EaZ074EHA.1296 %40TK2MSFTNGP10 .phx.gbl>

      Alternative you can use p/invoke on 'SetupIterateCa binet'. A VB6 sample can
      be found here:

      View and Extract CAB File Contents Programmaticall y
      <URL:http://www.thescarms.c om/vbasic/CabExplorer.asp >

      --
      M S Herfried K. Wagner
      M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
      V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

      Comment

      • Cor Ligthert [MVP]

        #4
        Re: Compressing (zipping) files

        Herfried,

        See the link I have given to TReidar, that is to a question in this
        newsgroup which is almost the same question as now.



        And of course as well answered by you.

        Cor


        Comment

        • m.posseth

          #5
          Re: Compressing (zipping) files

          Cor

          the question is slightly changed

          From : " How can I zip (compress) a file in vs2005 with windows own
          zip-program? "

          To : "I will develop a backup routine with local files (zipped) to an
          internet server via ftp. How do I zip files in Vb.net?"





          Reidar so you wanna ZIP huh ??? :-)



          Well i can sure recomend you the free # ZIBLIB library it comes with full
          source and examples in C# and VB

          ICSharpCode has 21 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.


          works perfect and not only with zip :-)

          regards



          Michel Posseth [MCP]









          "Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <notmyfirstname @planet.nl> wrote in message
          news:uMYAj0aHGH A.2912@tk2msftn gp13.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
          > Reidar,
          >
          > Am I blind?
          >
          > A lot of people have tried to help you. Did you not pay attention to it?
          >
          > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...360d41d005f3c3
          >
          > Cor
          >[/color]



          Comment

          • Cor Ligthert [MVP]

            #6
            Re: Compressing (zipping) files

            Michel,

            I saw that, however it stays strange for me.

            Cor
            [color=blue]
            >
            > the question is slightly changed
            >
            > From : " How can I zip (compress) a file in vs2005 with windows own
            > zip-program? "
            >
            > To : "I will develop a backup routine with local files (zipped) to an
            > internet server via ftp. How do I zip files in Vb.net?"
            >[/color]


            Comment

            • _AnonCoward

              #7
              Re: Compressing (zipping) files


              "Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hirf-spam-me-here@gmx.at> wrote in message
              news:uGxzbRdHGH A.3120@TK2MSFTN GP10.phx.gbl...
              :
              : "reidarT" <reidar@eivon.n o> schrieb:
              : >
              : >I will develop a backup routine with local files (zipped) to an
              : >internet server via ftp.
              : > How do I zip files in Vb.net?
              :
              : ZIP files:
              :
              : The Zip, GZip, BZip2 and Tar Implementation For .NET
              : <URL:http://www.icsharpcode .net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/>
              :
              : The VB.NET Resource Kit contains zipping functionality too (note that
              : the Resource Kit is not available any more, so the answer applies for
              : the case that you already have a copy of the Resource Kit):


              I don't know if this is the same thing you're referring to above, but try
              here:

              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en


              <snip>


              Ralf
              --
              --
              ----------------------------------------------------------
              * ^~^ ^~^ *
              * _ {~ ~} {~ ~} _ *
              * /_``>*< >*<''_\ *
              * (\--_)++) (++(_--/) *
              ----------------------------------------------------------
              There are no advanced students in Aikido - there are only
              competent beginners. There are no advanced techniques -
              only the correct application of basic principles.


              Comment

              Working...