VB.NET purchase related.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RPK

    #1

    VB.NET purchase related.

    Hello,

    I want to purchase Visual Basic.NET for developing commercial
    standalone/client-server applications for small-business segment. I want to
    use Oracle Database 10g in future as database. My applications would be
    strictly database oriented with few applications for the Web.

    I am puzzled as to which product should I buy which is cost-effective and
    sufficient for my needs. I visited Microsoft site and read short introduction
    of Visual Basic.NET 2003 Standard Edition. But it did not clearly define
    whether it is suitable for developing commercial database applications and
    include ASP and Web development features.

    I don't want to buy complete Visual Studio.NET because I don't need
    languages other then VB.NET at present. Also it is quite costly.

    Please let me know whether Visual Basic.NET 2003 is sufficent for all my
    needs. Since MSDN is not included with it, so I need to buy MSDN also.

    I contacted Microsoft (India) for the same. They said that it is compulsory
    to buy at least 5 licenses in the begining. But I'll develop applications on
    1 PC and I am the only user. So why would I need volume license?

    Since VB.NET 2005 is about to release in November, should I wait?

    Regards,
    RK.




  • Cor Ligthert [MVP]

    #2
    Re: VB.NET purchase related.

    RPK,

    Why don't you see if VB Express fulfils your needs. It is at beta now so
    free to try (not for production purpose).

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/VBasic/Express/

    Although most visitors to these newsgroup are well informed, do I not
    believe that there is one who knows in what versions the following release
    2005 will be delivered and what a package than contains. Therefore we have
    probably to wait until the begin of November 2005.

    In addition don't than forget to look at MSDN subscriptions

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/

    I hope this helps something.

    Cor


    Comment

    • m.posseth

      #3
      Re: VB.NET purchase related.

      Well ,, you could also give # develop a try
      download it here http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ it is free

      i use it next to my VS.Net enerprise Architect version as it turned out that
      sharpdevelop has some cool features that are not availlable in VS.Net (
      like code conversion C# to VB / VB to C# )


      regards

      Michel Posseth



      "RPK" <RPK@discussion s.microsoft.com > wrote in message
      news:C937DAA3-3D20-4BFC-826A-EA9A420864D6@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
      > Hello,
      >
      > I want to purchase Visual Basic.NET for developing commercial
      > standalone/client-server applications for small-business segment. I want
      > to
      > use Oracle Database 10g in future as database. My applications would be
      > strictly database oriented with few applications for the Web.
      >
      > I am puzzled as to which product should I buy which is cost-effective and
      > sufficient for my needs. I visited Microsoft site and read short
      > introduction
      > of Visual Basic.NET 2003 Standard Edition. But it did not clearly define
      > whether it is suitable for developing commercial database applications and
      > include ASP and Web development features.
      >
      > I don't want to buy complete Visual Studio.NET because I don't need
      > languages other then VB.NET at present. Also it is quite costly.
      >
      > Please let me know whether Visual Basic.NET 2003 is sufficent for all my
      > needs. Since MSDN is not included with it, so I need to buy MSDN also.
      >
      > I contacted Microsoft (India) for the same. They said that it is
      > compulsory
      > to buy at least 5 licenses in the begining. But I'll develop applications
      > on
      > 1 PC and I am the only user. So why would I need volume license?
      >
      > Since VB.NET 2005 is about to release in November, should I wait?
      >
      > Regards,
      > RK.
      >
      >
      >
      >[/color]


      Comment

      • Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

        #4
        Re: VB.NET purchase related.

        Cor,

        "Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <notmyfirstname @planet.nl> schrieb:[color=blue]
        > Why don't you see if VB Express fulfils your needs. It is at beta now so
        > free to try (not for production purpose).
        >
        > http://msdn.microsoft.com/VBasic/Express/[/color]

        Note that at least the final version of the Express edition can be used to
        commercially develop applications:

        <URL:http://lab.msdn.micros oft.com/express/faq/>
        -> "What can I do with the Express products"

        --
        M S Herfried K. Wagner
        M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
        V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

        Comment

        • Michael C#

          #5
          Re: VB.NET purchase related.

          But you currently have to get the "Go-Live License" from MS, which basically
          says "don't call us for tech support."

          "Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hirf-spam-me-here@gmx.at> wrote in message
          news:eXYkl5DvFH A.1032@TK2MSFTN GP12.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
          > Cor,
          >
          > "Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <notmyfirstname @planet.nl> schrieb:[color=green]
          >> Why don't you see if VB Express fulfils your needs. It is at beta now so
          >> free to try (not for production purpose).
          >>
          >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/VBasic/Express/[/color]
          >
          > Note that at least the final version of the Express edition can be used to
          > commercially develop applications:
          >
          > <URL:http://lab.msdn.micros oft.com/express/faq/>
          > -> "What can I do with the Express products"
          >
          > --
          > M S Herfried K. Wagner
          > M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
          > V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>[/color]


          Comment

          • Crouchie1998

            #6
            Re: VB.NET purchase related.

            The free convertor is available in the VB.NET Resource Kit

            Crouchie1998
            BA (HONS) MCP MCSE


            Comment

            Working...