Difference between debug and release bug?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Chris Pielak

    #1

    Difference between debug and release bug?

    Hi. I'm about to try deploying my ASP.NET application, written with the 1.1
    Framework. I'm coming across something odd when compiling in Debug and
    Release mode.

    When compiling in Debug mode, I am able to run the application smoothly and
    get things done in my application.

    However, when I switch to Release mode, and try saving data back to my
    database (through Remoting) the following exception is thrown:

    [NullReferenceEx ception: Object reference not set to an instance of an
    object.]
    System.Runtime. Remoting.Proxie s.RealProxy.Han dleReturnMessag e(IMessage
    reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) +264
    System.Runtime. Remoting.Proxie s.RealProxy.Pri vateInvoke(Mess ageData&
    msgData, Int32 type) +877

    Why wouldn't have this been caught and thrown when I'm in Debug mode? Has
    anyone come across this?

    Thanks for any help.

    Chris Pielak
  • Ian Evitable

    #2
    Re: Difference between debug and release bug?

    Not neccessarily. I presume you have also switched from development to
    production servers? This could have an affect. Its important to test on a
    variety of platforms running under a variety of different priviledges before
    you release it.

    Ian

    "Chris Pielak" <Chris Pielak@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
    news:2E68F6F2-90C0-4EE7-B9A5-215C00957E5A@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
    > Hi. I'm about to try deploying my ASP.NET application, written with the[/color]
    1.1[color=blue]
    > Framework. I'm coming across something odd when compiling in Debug and
    > Release mode.
    >
    > When compiling in Debug mode, I am able to run the application smoothly[/color]
    and[color=blue]
    > get things done in my application.
    >
    > However, when I switch to Release mode, and try saving data back to my
    > database (through Remoting) the following exception is thrown:
    >
    > [NullReferenceEx ception: Object reference not set to an instance of an
    > object.]
    > System.Runtime. Remoting.Proxie s.RealProxy.Han dleReturnMessag e(IMessage
    > reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) +264
    > System.Runtime. Remoting.Proxie s.RealProxy.Pri vateInvoke(Mess ageData&
    > msgData, Int32 type) +877
    >
    > Why wouldn't have this been caught and thrown when I'm in Debug mode? Has
    > anyone come across this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Chris Pielak[/color]


    Comment

    • Carlos J. Quintero [VB MVP]

      #3
      Re: Difference between debug and release bug?

      If you have also switched machines and not only Release/Debug configuration,
      it could be a problem of permissions, of different component versions or
      whaever. If the problem happens on the same machine only switching from
      Debug to Release, maybe your code has some #If DEBUG statement, or you can
      fine-tune the release configuration settings in the project properties
      window, Optimizations node.

      The point is that you need to locate the offending line in your source code,
      and reproduce and isolate the problem to fix it.

      --

      Best regards,

      Carlos J. Quintero

      MZ-Tools: Productivity add-ins for Visual Studio .NET, VB6, VB5 and VBA
      You can code, design and document much faster.
      Free resources for add-in developers:
      MZ-Tools has a single goal: To make your everyday programming life easier. As an add-in to several Integrated Development Environment (IDEs) from Microsoft, MZ-Tools adds new menus and toolbars to them that provide many new productivity features.


      "Chris Pielak" <Chris Pielak@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> escribió en el
      mensaje news:2E68F6F2-90C0-4EE7-B9A5-215C00957E5A@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
      > Hi. I'm about to try deploying my ASP.NET application, written with the
      > 1.1
      > Framework. I'm coming across something odd when compiling in Debug and
      > Release mode.
      >
      > When compiling in Debug mode, I am able to run the application smoothly
      > and
      > get things done in my application.
      >
      > However, when I switch to Release mode, and try saving data back to my
      > database (through Remoting) the following exception is thrown:
      >
      > [NullReferenceEx ception: Object reference not set to an instance of an
      > object.]
      > System.Runtime. Remoting.Proxie s.RealProxy.Han dleReturnMessag e(IMessage
      > reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) +264
      > System.Runtime. Remoting.Proxie s.RealProxy.Pri vateInvoke(Mess ageData&
      > msgData, Int32 type) +877
      >
      > Why wouldn't have this been caught and thrown when I'm in Debug mode? Has
      > anyone come across this?
      >
      > Thanks for any help.
      >
      > Chris Pielak[/color]


      Comment

      Working...