So, at my place of employment, we use a national standard to transmit
data between certain applications. This standard consists of a fixed
width, flat file 4500-some-odd chars wide that contain 375-some-odd
columns (Not delimited). This standard is not changing anytime soon, so
I attempting to write a library of some sort to read and write these
files within our SQL databases (which use 160 of those columns, but
completely ignore the rest).
Now, the way I would attempt to understand this is: Flat file gets
sucked into dataset, dataset gets shoved into database (or vicea
versa). So... All of the stuff I see for typed datasets is "XML! XML!
XML!" but I'm just looking at a way of specifying a dataset in which
there is a table that says "Field1 is chars 1-10, Field2 is chars
10-14..." etc etc etc.
So, people infinitely more talented then me, how would you attempt to
do this?
data between certain applications. This standard consists of a fixed
width, flat file 4500-some-odd chars wide that contain 375-some-odd
columns (Not delimited). This standard is not changing anytime soon, so
I attempting to write a library of some sort to read and write these
files within our SQL databases (which use 160 of those columns, but
completely ignore the rest).
Now, the way I would attempt to understand this is: Flat file gets
sucked into dataset, dataset gets shoved into database (or vicea
versa). So... All of the stuff I see for typed datasets is "XML! XML!
XML!" but I'm just looking at a way of specifying a dataset in which
there is a table that says "Field1 is chars 1-10, Field2 is chars
10-14..." etc etc etc.
So, people infinitely more talented then me, how would you attempt to
do this?
Comment