Design Question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • marcmc

    #1

    Design Question


    I have a VB App that acts as a maintenance of a number of routines to be set
    up, edited and run on a SQL Server Db.

    The nature of this app is to return results from the routines(sProcs ) and
    pump out a log file with the results from the .net App. A SMS is also sent to
    a support mobile phone to tell on cover staff to come in or out depending on
    the results of these routines.

    I cannot kick off the selected routines until a large DTS routin is run.
    This routine runs for about 5-6 hours and it is quite easy to determine when
    it has completed.

    My issue is:
    Should I poll/trigger when the DTS is complete from SQLServer or from my
    Vb.net App? (I have no preference at the moment - although the fact I'm
    writing this on a dotnet forum is testament that I am more a .net man than
    Sql man!).
    Whether I poll from SQL or from .net App, i MUST keep the .net App open for
    the duration of the poll in order to send the SMS and create the log. Am I
    thinking the right way about this or what are the alternatives?

    I could have written this App completely in SQL but I wouldn't have had the
    safety of a desktop app and various levels of security I can manage from .net
    nor the ability to manage/maintain the types of log and SMS functionality I
    want.

    Any input much onliged...

    marc


  • marcmc

    #2
    RE: Design Question

    Don't be afraid to share you thoughts guys

    Comment

    • JerryH

      #3
      Re: Design Question

      marcmc wrote:[color=blue]
      > I have a VB App that acts as a maintenance of a number of routines to be set
      > up, edited and run on a SQL Server Db.
      >
      > The nature of this app is to return results from the routines(sProcs ) and
      > pump out a log file with the results from the .net App. A SMS is also sent to
      > a support mobile phone to tell on cover staff to come in or out depending on
      > the results of these routines.
      >
      > I cannot kick off the selected routines until a large DTS routin is run.
      > This routine runs for about 5-6 hours and it is quite easy to determine when
      > it has completed.
      >
      > My issue is:
      > Should I poll/trigger when the DTS is complete from SQLServer or from my
      > Vb.net App? (I have no preference at the moment - although the fact I'm
      > writing this on a dotnet forum is testament that I am more a .net man than
      > Sql man!).
      > Whether I poll from SQL or from .net App, i MUST keep the .net App open for
      > the duration of the poll in order to send the SMS and create the log. Am I
      > thinking the right way about this or what are the alternatives?
      >
      > I could have written this App completely in SQL but I wouldn't have had the
      > safety of a desktop app and various levels of security I can manage from .net
      > nor the ability to manage/maintain the types of log and SMS functionality I
      > want.
      >
      > Any input much onliged...
      >
      > marc
      >
      >[/color]


      Are you using DTS objects in .NET? A couple of small hoops to jump
      through to get the Libs installed on your machine, but no big deal.

      Dumpster & Co. provides local dumpster rental near you. Give us a call today at 866-946-8519 for a free quote!


      You could actually start the DTS via DTS Objects from your .NET app, and
      monitor when the DTS was finished (and perhaps even raise some events to
      aid in your logging functions).

      HTH

      Comment

      Working...