XML to DataSets

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

    #16
    Re: XML to DataSets

    Lee,
    You can ask 2005 specific questions at: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/

    There was a post recently in microsoft.beta. whidbey.* that they are being
    closed in favor of the above forums which IMHO is a mistake. Hopefully I
    miss read the post...


    My understanding is that both 2003 & 2005 using the msdata:IsDataSe t
    attribute (in the XSD itself) to identify the .xsd file as a "DataSet" or
    not. I am not seeing an obvious way of setting that attribute.

    The "Generate DataSet" command in 2003 actually sets the Custom Tool in the
    properties for the file itself (select the file in Solution Explorer & look
    at its properties).

    You may want to ask in the above 2005 forums on how to add the dataset as a
    datasource...

    Hope this helps
    Jay


    "lgbjr" <lgbjr@online.n ospam> wrote in message
    news:uQ%23mCKvW FHA.3716@TK2MSF TNGP12.phx.gbl. ..
    | HI Jay,
    |
    | Actually I sent the last post a buick to quick. what I see in 2005 is that
    | the XSD file already looks like a dataset (meaning that when I view the
    XSD
    | file, the toolbox items that are available are listed under the heading of
    | "Dataset" and are items that one would add to a dataset, such as table
    | adapters, data tables, etc.). However, the project does not have a data
    | source. So, if I add a grid or some other control that I can bind to the
    | data, the datasource selection shows "None".
    |
    | So, how do I get the XSD file in 2005 to show as a data source?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Lee
    |
    | "lgbjr" <lgbjr@online.n ospam> wrote in message
    | news:en2QsCvWFH A.3176@TK2MSFTN GP12.phx.gbl...
    | > Hi Jay,
    | >
    | > Yep, that works! Quick question: I'm actually doing this project in 2003
    | > and 2005 at the same time (just to see the differences. In 2005, if I
    | > right-click on the XSD view, there isn't a "Generate Dataset" option.
    | >
    | > Any ideas on how to proceed in 2005?
    | >
    | > Thanks!
    | >
    | > Lee
    | >
    | > "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <Jay_Harlow_MVP @msn.com> wrote in
    message
    | > news:eH3LhruWFH A.3584@TK2MSFTN GP14.phx.gbl...
    | >> Lee,
    | >> Rather then use XSD.exe to explicitly create the typed dataset, I would
    | >> simply add the .XSD itself (the one created by DataSet.WriteXm lSchema)
    to
    | >> my
    | >> project. I would then open the .XSD file, right click & select
    "Generate
    | >> DataSet".
    | >>
    | >> This implicitly creates a typed dataset.
    | >>
    | >> Hope this helps
    | >> Jay
    | >>
    << snip >>


    Comment

    • lgbjr

      #17
      Re: XML to DataSets

      Hi Jay and Peter,

      Yeah, I know about the Whidbey groups and AFAIK they are switching to the
      forums, which I agree, is a mistake. I was just being lazy.

      However, I did figure out the problem (as a workaround). If I add a new
      dataset to the project, open the XSD file that was created with
      DS.WriteXmlSche ma, then copy/paste the contents into the new dataset, the
      new dataset works as it should.

      Regards,

      Lee


      "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <Jay_Harlow_MVP @msn.com> wrote in message
      news:Oinj2r6WFH A.1044@TK2MSFTN GP10.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
      > Lee,
      > You can ask 2005 specific questions at: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/
      >
      > There was a post recently in microsoft.beta. whidbey.* that they are being
      > closed in favor of the above forums which IMHO is a mistake. Hopefully I
      > miss read the post...
      >
      >
      > My understanding is that both 2003 & 2005 using the msdata:IsDataSe t
      > attribute (in the XSD itself) to identify the .xsd file as a "DataSet" or
      > not. I am not seeing an obvious way of setting that attribute.
      >
      > The "Generate DataSet" command in 2003 actually sets the Custom Tool in
      > the
      > properties for the file itself (select the file in Solution Explorer &
      > look
      > at its properties).
      >
      > You may want to ask in the above 2005 forums on how to add the dataset as
      > a
      > datasource...
      >
      > Hope this helps
      > Jay
      >
      >
      > "lgbjr" <lgbjr@online.n ospam> wrote in message
      > news:uQ%23mCKvW FHA.3716@TK2MSF TNGP12.phx.gbl. ..
      > | HI Jay,
      > |
      > | Actually I sent the last post a buick to quick. what I see in 2005 is
      > that
      > | the XSD file already looks like a dataset (meaning that when I view the
      > XSD
      > | file, the toolbox items that are available are listed under the heading
      > of
      > | "Dataset" and are items that one would add to a dataset, such as table
      > | adapters, data tables, etc.). However, the project does not have a data
      > | source. So, if I add a grid or some other control that I can bind to the
      > | data, the datasource selection shows "None".
      > |
      > | So, how do I get the XSD file in 2005 to show as a data source?
      > |
      > | Thanks
      > | Lee
      > |
      > | "lgbjr" <lgbjr@online.n ospam> wrote in message
      > | news:en2QsCvWFH A.3176@TK2MSFTN GP12.phx.gbl...
      > | > Hi Jay,
      > | >
      > | > Yep, that works! Quick question: I'm actually doing this project in
      > 2003
      > | > and 2005 at the same time (just to see the differences. In 2005, if I
      > | > right-click on the XSD view, there isn't a "Generate Dataset" option.
      > | >
      > | > Any ideas on how to proceed in 2005?
      > | >
      > | > Thanks!
      > | >
      > | > Lee
      > | >
      > | > "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <Jay_Harlow_MVP @msn.com> wrote in
      > message
      > | > news:eH3LhruWFH A.3584@TK2MSFTN GP14.phx.gbl...
      > | >> Lee,
      > | >> Rather then use XSD.exe to explicitly create the typed dataset, I
      > would
      > | >> simply add the .XSD itself (the one created by
      > DataSet.WriteXm lSchema)
      > to
      > | >> my
      > | >> project. I would then open the .XSD file, right click & select
      > "Generate
      > | >> DataSet".
      > | >>
      > | >> This implicitly creates a typed dataset.
      > | >>
      > | >> Hope this helps
      > | >> Jay
      > | >>
      > << snip >>
      >
      >[/color]


      Comment

      Working...