Design question regarding exceptions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • asincero

    #1

    Design question regarding exceptions.

    I have a class called Users that provides a higher level of
    abstraction to an underlying "users" table in a pgsql database. It
    has methods like "addUser()" and "deleteUser ()" which, obviously, wrap
    the corresponding SQL statements. My question is would it better to
    let any exceptions thrown by the underlying DB-API calls bubble up
    from these methods, or should I catch them inside the methods, wrap
    them inside my own custom exceptions, and throw those exceptions
    instead?

    Thanks.

    -- Arcadio

  • Bruno Desthuilliers

    #2
    Re: Design question regarding exceptions.

    asincero a écrit :
    I have a class called Users that provides a higher level of
    abstraction to an underlying "users" table in a pgsql database. It
    has methods like "addUser()" and "deleteUser ()" which, obviously, wrap
    the corresponding SQL statements. My question is would it better to
    let any exceptions thrown by the underlying DB-API calls bubble up
    from these methods, or should I catch them inside the methods, wrap
    them inside my own custom exceptions, and throw those exceptions
    instead?
    There's no absolute answer to this. But unless your "abstractio n layer"
    is supposed to be usable with non-DB-API backends (ie: text files, LDAP,
    etc), I don't see any reason to abstract the exceptions.

    Comment

    Working...