CP4E revival

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Michael Tobis

    #1

    CP4E revival

    Is education Python's killer app? I think it could be.

    I used the occasion of the Python Papers to motivate my efforts, and
    you can see what I came up with here on pages 8-15.

    The part that makes me especially queasy is the CP4E section on pages
    10-11. I wish I had more to say there. It's fairly clear to those of
    us who weren't there that there were some problems, but it's not
    especially clear what they were or what we should learn from them. I'd
    very much appreciate input from those who were actually there!

    Anyway

    http://tinyurl.com/yr62r3

    seems to short-circuit some pointless hoop-jumping to get you to the
    article.

    If that doesn't work, try going to http://pyjournal.cgpublisher.com/
    and looking for the spring 2007 edition.

    I suggest a concerted effort by the community toward leveraging the
    OLPC/Sugar momentum to revive the idea of Python as tool for teaching
    some programming as a useful part of universal education.

    mt

  • Richard Jones

    #2
    Re: CP4E revival

    Michael Tobis wrote:
    http://tinyurl.com/yr62r3
    >
    seems to short-circuit some pointless hoop-jumping to get you to the
    article.
    Hoop-jumping implemented to prevent just this kind of direct linking (and
    thus not saving of the PDF to local disk to view, and thus increasing the
    load on the server).

    Thanks for abusing the free service being provided to the Python Papers
    journal.


    Richard

    Comment

    • Michael Tobis

      #3
      Re: CP4E revival

      On May 24, 5:03 am, Richard Jones <richardjo...@o ptushome.com.au >
      wrote:
      Michael Tobis wrote:>
      seems to short-circuit some pointless hoop-jumping to get you to the
      article.
      >
      Hoop-jumping implemented to prevent just this kind of direct linking (and
      thus not saving of the PDF to local disk to view, and thus increasing the
      load on the server).
      >
      Thanks for abusing the free service being provided to the Python Papers
      journal.
      >
      Richard
      OK, oops, I'll take the tinyurl link down anywhere I can; I really
      didn't (and still don't) quite get the server side issue but so be it.
      (I thought it was a measure to ensure a license to view, which is not
      in fact required in this case.)

      On the other hand, given the modest reaction to the article (pro or
      con) I am not getting the sense that it has generated a lot of
      traffic.

      I'd prefer flames about the content, though.

      mt

      Comment

      • I V

        #4
        Re: CP4E revival

        On Thu, 24 May 2007 20:03:29 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:
        Hoop-jumping implemented to prevent just this kind of direct linking (and
        thus not saving of the PDF to local disk to view, and thus increasing the
        load on the server).
        I'm not sure I see the connection - if you're serving something as
        application/pdf, then people are going to download it or view it directly
        as they see fit (or as their browser is configured), whether or not they
        got their by clicking a link or pressing two buttons (indeed, using the
        buttons makes it _harder_ to save the PDF to disk, if that's what you want
        to enforce, because users can't right-click/save-as; if their browser is
        set up to open PDFs directly, they can't change that behavior without
        reconfiguring their browser).

        Comment

        Working...