Hi. I have a list of common prefixes:
And I have a string, that I split() into a list.
Now I want to strip the sentence of all words in the prefix list.
I tried this method:
.... if sentence.index( x):
.... del sentence[sentence.index( x)]
This raises, the error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 3, in ?
ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list
This puzzles me, because if x isn't in the list, the subroutine shouldn't attempt to delete it
from the list, so I'm not sure why it's complaining.
Can anybody explain this to me, &/or show me a better way to do it?
>>prefixes = [ "the", "this", "that", "da", "d", "is", "are", "r", "you", "u"]
>>sentence = "what the blazes is this"
>>sentence = sentence.split( )
>>sentence = sentence.split( )
I tried this method:
>>for x in prefixes:
.... del sentence[sentence.index( x)]
This raises, the error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 3, in ?
ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list
This puzzles me, because if x isn't in the list, the subroutine shouldn't attempt to delete it
from the list, so I'm not sure why it's complaining.
Can anybody explain this to me, &/or show me a better way to do it?
Comment