about application deployment

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Alessandro de Manzano

    #1

    about application deployment

    Hello,

    I'ld ask you all about deployment of python applications.

    Sometimes (if not most times..) I would make deployment easy (easier)
    for my customers (and for me too...)

    What I mean, would be very useful to have a "jar-like" archive/single
    file / multiple platform in order to deploy also complex applications
    with many modules.

    I know about "py2exe", it's nice but it's Windows only, I would need
    something multiplatform or at least available also for other platforms
    (*nix, Mac maybe, ...)

    My impression is that Python is a great language but a bit "messy"
    about on field deployment...

    What am I missing ? :)
    What are your experiences (and solutions ?) for this issues ?

    Many thanks in advance!


    bye!

    Ale

  • Diez B. Roggisch

    #2
    Re: about application deployment

    Alessandro de Manzano wrote:
    Hello,
    >
    I'ld ask you all about deployment of python applications.
    >
    Sometimes (if not most times..) I would make deployment easy (easier)
    for my customers (and for me too...)
    >
    What I mean, would be very useful to have a "jar-like" archive/single
    file / multiple platform in order to deploy also complex applications
    with many modules.
    >
    I know about "py2exe", it's nice but it's Windows only, I would need
    something multiplatform or at least available also for other platforms
    (*nix, Mac maybe, ...)
    >
    My impression is that Python is a great language but a bit "messy"
    about on field deployment...
    >
    What am I missing ? :)
    What are your experiences (and solutions ?) for this issues ?
    There are the greate setuptools available, that make creating and installing
    a single .egg-file (which is very close to a jar) easy as cake - provided
    you've got them working.

    I'm not sure if there is some equivalent as

    java -jar <jar>

    though. Could be worth thinking about.

    Diez

    Comment

    • Larry Bates

      #3
      Re: about application deployment

      Alessandro de Manzano wrote:
      Hello,
      >
      I'ld ask you all about deployment of python applications.
      >
      Sometimes (if not most times..) I would make deployment easy (easier)
      for my customers (and for me too...)
      >
      What I mean, would be very useful to have a "jar-like" archive/single
      file / multiple platform in order to deploy also complex applications
      with many modules.
      >
      I know about "py2exe", it's nice but it's Windows only, I would need
      something multiplatform or at least available also for other platforms
      (*nix, Mac maybe, ...)
      >
      My impression is that Python is a great language but a bit "messy"
      about on field deployment...
      >
      What am I missing ? :)
      What are your experiences (and solutions ?) for this issues ?
      >
      Many thanks in advance!
      >
      >
      bye!
      >
      Ale
      >
      I think you are going to find that you need different deployment
      methods for different operating systems. When you deploy you will
      no doubt have different things to do (shortcuts, registry entries,
      ..INI file entries, etc.) that you want to do.

      On Windows my choice is py2exe to bundle and then Inno Installer
      to make a setup.exe distrubution program that handles the install
      and uninstall. Others can chime in on linux, mac, etc.

      -Larry

      Comment

      Working...