imagemagick

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • azrael

    #1

    imagemagick

    Hy
    did anyone manage to work with imahemagick through python. I've been
    googling like a crazy for some instalation instructions, but i cant
    find anything. please help.

    thnx

  • Terry Hancock

    #2
    Re: imagemagick

    azrael wrote:
    Hy
    did anyone manage to work with imahemagick through python. I've been
    googling like a crazy for some instalation instructions, but i cant
    find anything. please help.
    There have been a few wrappers for ImageMagick over the last few years.

    There was once something called "PythonMagi ck", for example. However
    AFAIK, they are all currently defunct. There was a later version using
    Boost, but it apparently required a lot of system resources to compile
    for some reason, and I don't think I was able to.

    Apparently ImageMagick has gone through a lot of API changes and people
    get disgusted with supporting it (?). There is also, of course the
    Python Imaging Library (PIL) that competes with it pretty effectively
    for most use cases (of course ImageMagick has unparalleled image
    conversion support).

    If you really want ImageMagick, though, you might want to consider
    writing your own wrapper (perhaps using ctypes, now that it is included
    in the standard library).

    I have used 'popen' to run it as a separate process in the past. The
    'subprocess' module would be the smart way to do that today, and that
    might be your fastest solution.

    Cheers,
    Terry


    --
    Terry Hancock (hancock@Anansi Spaceworks.com)
    Anansi Spaceworks http://www.AnansiSpaceworks.com

    Comment

    • azrael

      #3
      Re: imagemagick

      i need to use some common filters lik the edge, blur. it was pretty
      easy and fast to use python magick. but now as I want to use it with
      python, it is impossible. there is the PIL_usm, but also no
      installation instrucions.
      Is there a way to blur the image using the PIL by a specific radius.



      On Mar 1, 4:12 pm, Terry Hancock <hanc...@anansi spaceworks.comw rote:
      azrael wrote:
      Hy
      did anyone manage to work with imahemagick through python. I've been
      googling like a crazy for some instalation instructions, but i cant
      find anything. please help.
      >
      There have been a few wrappers for ImageMagick over the last few years.
      >
      There was once something called "PythonMagi ck", for example. However
      AFAIK, they are all currently defunct. There was a later version using
      Boost, but it apparently required a lot of system resources to compile
      for some reason, and I don't think I was able to.
      >
      Apparently ImageMagick has gone through a lot of API changes and people
      get disgusted with supporting it (?). There is also, of course the
      Python Imaging Library (PIL) that competes with it pretty effectively
      for most use cases (of course ImageMagick has unparalleled image
      conversion support).
      >
      If you really want ImageMagick, though, you might want to consider
      writing your own wrapper (perhaps using ctypes, now that it is included
      in the standard library).
      >
      I have used 'popen' to run it as a separate process in the past. The
      'subprocess' module would be the smart way to do that today, and that
      might be your fastest solution.
      >
      Cheers,
      Terry
      >
      --
      Terry Hancock (hanc...@Anansi Spaceworks.com)
      Anansi Spaceworkshttp://www.AnansiSpace works.com

      Comment

      Working...