database without installation again

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • andrew_s

    #1

    database without installation again

    Hi!

    I'm looking for any database which I could use without need of instalation.
    I've read some threads here but I couldn't find any complete answer.
    On my ISP's server I can use Python throu cgi only. There is Python 2.4.3
    and it has only standard library modules and no possibility to oficially
    install anything else.
    This version has embedded Berkeley DB (bsddb) and it could be OK for storing
    data only, but I need a possibility to use simple selects with group by and
    aggregates, which I think are not supported by bsddb. SQLite could be good
    choice, but unfortunately it's included in standard Python library from
    version 2.5.

    Any ideas? Maybe is it possible to "install" by myself something like SQLite
    or MySQLdb in my cgi-bin directory? I've tried it putting files from MySQLdb
    module, but there was errors with missing libssl.so or sth. I think, the
    best solution would be db stored in binary file with interface in based on
    standard Python library, but is there anything like that??

    TIA!

    --
    Andrews


  • Larry Bates

    #2
    Re: database without installation again

    andrew_s wrote:
    Hi!
    >
    I'm looking for any database which I could use without need of instalation.
    I've read some threads here but I couldn't find any complete answer.
    On my ISP's server I can use Python throu cgi only. There is Python 2.4.3
    and it has only standard library modules and no possibility to oficially
    install anything else.
    This version has embedded Berkeley DB (bsddb) and it could be OK for storing
    data only, but I need a possibility to use simple selects with group by and
    aggregates, which I think are not supported by bsddb. SQLite could be good
    choice, but unfortunately it's included in standard Python library from
    version 2.5.
    >
    Any ideas? Maybe is it possible to "install" by myself something like SQLite
    or MySQLdb in my cgi-bin directory? I've tried it putting files from MySQLdb
    module, but there was errors with missing libssl.so or sth. I think, the
    best solution would be db stored in binary file with interface in based on
    standard Python library, but is there anything like that??
    >
    TIA!
    >
    Change to an ISP that allows you:

    MySQL databases
    root access to your virtual machine

    By the time you do the research and/or write something you will have spent more
    time than moving to another ISP. Its not all that hard and they are CHEAP.

    -Larry

    Comment

    • Ben Finney

      #3
      Re: database without installation again

      "andrew_s" <andrzej.s@gaze ta.plwrites:
      I'm looking for any database which I could use without need of
      instalation.
      Python 2.5 comes with SQLite built in. SQLite allows database
      interaction without a corresponding server; all the code is in the
      client, in this case provided in the Python standard library.

      <URL:http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sqlite3.html>

      Previous versions of Python have standard library support for DBM
      files, a non-relational, key-value system for storing data in local
      files.

      <URL:http://docs.python.org/lib/module-anydbm.html>
      <URL:http://docs.python.org/lib/module-gdbm.html>
      Any ideas? Maybe is it possible to "install" by myself something
      like SQLite or MySQLdb in my cgi-bin directory?
      If you can set your PYTHONPATH environment variable to point to a
      directory under your control, you can install Python packages and
      modules in that directory.

      <URL:http://docs.python.org/inst/search-path.html>

      --
      \ "I met my girlfriend in Macy's; she was buying clothes, and I |
      `\ was putting Slinkies on the escalators." -- Steven Wright |
      _o__) |
      Ben Finney

      Comment

      • bruno.desthuilliers@gmail.com

        #4
        Re: database without installation again

        On 28 fév, 00:06, "andrew_s" <andrze...@gaze ta.plwrote:
        Hi!
        >
        I'm looking for any database which I could use without need of instalation.
        I've read some threads here but I couldn't find any complete answer.
        On my ISP's server I can use Python throu cgi only. There is Python 2.4.3
        and it has only standard library modules and no possibility to oficially
        install anything else.
        Can't you install additional stuff in your own directory, then correct
        your PYTHONPATH as needed ?

        Any ideas? Maybe is it possible to "install" by myself something like SQLite
        or MySQLdb in my cgi-bin directory? I've tried it putting files from MySQLdb
        module, but there was errors with missing libssl.so or sth.
        MySQL is a server software. You cannot just drop some files and expect
        the whole thing to work.
        I think, the
        best solution would be db stored in binary file with interface in based on
        standard Python library, but is there anything like that??
        SQLite ? Gadfly ?


        Comment

        • Andrzej S.

          #5
          Re: database without installation again

          bruno.desthuill iers@gmail.com wrote:
          MySQL is a server software. You cannot just drop some files and expect
          the whole thing to work.
          Yes, sure. There is mySQL server installed. I can access it from php.

          >I think, the
          >best solution would be db stored in binary file with interface in based on
          >standard Python library, but is there anything like that??
          >
          SQLite ? Gadfly ?
          How can I install them? Is it so simple as uploading module files to
          cgi-bin directory? Metakit (http://www.equi4.com/metakit/python.html)
          database works this way, but i haven't tested it yet.

          --
          Andrew S

          Comment

          Working...