Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • skip@pobox.com

    #106
    Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?


    BenThis thread was started on the shock of realising that a non-free
    Bentool was even being *considered* for the new Python bug
    Bentracker. Those are the terms on which I've been arguing.

    Of course, the candidate trackers have been known for months. Messages have
    been posted to both this list and python-dev asking for inputs.

    Skip

    Comment

    • Michael Ströder

      #107
      Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

      Giovanni Bajo wrote:
      Martin, I am by no means understimating Daniel's work. I am just noting that
      the spare-time work he did is, by definition, much much lower than the "6-10
      people" that the PSF infrastructure committee is calling for. I would like this
      statement to be officially reduced to "2-3 people", since it is *really* not
      required much more than that to setup a bug tracker installation, and no more
      than 1 person to maintain it afterwards.
      Glancing over this thread I wonder what these people are supposed to do.
      Any list of requirements available?

      Ciao, Michael.

      Comment

      • Fredrik Lundh

        #108
        Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

        Michael Ströder wrote:
        Glancing over this thread I wonder what these people are supposed to do.
        Any list of requirements available?
        from the original announcement (linked from the first post in this thread):

        "In order for Roundup to be considered equivalent in terms of an
        overall tracker package there needs to be a sufficient number of
        volunteer admins (roughly 6 - 10 people) who can help set up and
        maintain the Roundup installation. /.../

        If people want Roundup to be considered the tracker we go with by
        volunteering to be an admin, please email infrastructure at python.org
        and state your time commitment, the timezone you would be working
        from, and your level of Roundup knowledge. Please email the committee
        by October 16."

        </F>

        Comment

        • Martin v. Löwis

          #109
          Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

          Michael Ströder schrieb:
          >Martin, I am by no means understimating Daniel's work. I am just noting that
          >the spare-time work he did is, by definition, much much lower than the "6-10
          >people" that the PSF infrastructure committee is calling for. I would like this
          >statement to be officially reduced to "2-3 people", since it is *really* not
          >required much more than that to setup a bug tracker installation, and no more
          >than 1 person to maintain it afterwards.
          >
          Glancing over this thread I wonder what these people are supposed to do.
          Any list of requirements available?
          Anybody can help who has general experience with "server
          administration" ; if you do, you know what typical problems are.
          In addition, you either should know how roundup works already,
          or should be willing to learn it as you go (from the fellow
          volunteers who have more insights).

          I can't personally anticipate what problems occur; it's only
          clear that the volunteers should "just make it work".
          The regular admin tasks likely include stuff like this:
          - the system is unavailable, bring it back to work
          This is really the worst case, and a short response time
          is the major factor in how users perceive the service
          - the system is responding very slowly
          - "when I do this operation, it doesn't work" or
          "when I do this operation, I get that error"
          - "why does this f*cking system require me to do foo,
          I don't want that"

          There might also be the need for regular maintenance.
          Ad hoc, the only thing that comes to mind is user
          account maintenance: what users get what permissions.
          Traditionally (because of the SF model), Python committers
          get "admin" rights on the tracker, i.e. the right to close
          issues they didn't create. Not sure what the best model
          is for Roundup (roundup expertise is needed to propose
          an appropriate access control model). Other regular
          maintenance might involve spam removal; ideally,
          this would be minimal due to a well-thought access
          control.

          Finally, there might be a need for customization,
          perhaps by means of implementing new features. Clearly,
          whether features can be implemented depends on the
          amount of volunteer time available and neede, and also
          on the importance of the requested feature. For example,
          in SF, we requested that the "Check to upload" button
          is removed; it took SF several years to implement that
          request.

          Regards,
          Martin

          Comment

          • Ilias Lazaridis

            #110
            Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

            Steve Holden wrote:
            Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
            Giovanni Bajo wrote:
            >Hello,
            >
            >I just read this mail by Brett Cannon:
            >http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...er/069139.html
            >where the "PSF infrastracture committee", after weeks of evaluation, recommends
            >using a non open source tracker (called JIRA - never heard before of course)
            >for Python itself.
            >
            >Does this smell "Bitkeeper fiasco" to anyone else than me?
            >--
            >Giovanni Bajo

            Fascinating.

            The python foundation suggests a non-python non-open-source bugtracking
            tool for python.

            It's like saying: "The python community is not able to produce the
            tools needed to drive development of python forward."

            Anyway. The whole selection process is intransparent.

            The commitee should have stated "goals" and "requiremen ts" with a
            public verification of the tools against them.
            >
            Is there any stick in the known universe that you will grasp the *right*
            end of?
            >
            http://wiki.python.org/moin/OriginalCallForTrackers
            Please have a little bit more precision:

            "Because we are not sure exactly what are requirements for a tracker
            are we do not have a comprehensive requirements document."


            This document is empty:



            This is what I call "intranspar ent selection process" or "selectiong by
            feelings".

            -

            The central requirement for a development-infrastructure / Host is
            _control_:



            My personal selection for a tracking-system for a python based projects
            is Trac:



            I context of the python project (which has own wiki), Roundup could
            become the No.1 choice.

            I am biased towards trac, but to be honest, I've not verified Roundup
            deeper (due to the missing wiki-svn-ticket-integration, which is Trac's
            major strength).

            So, define the Goals, specify the resulting Requirements, and _after_
            this, verify the Tools (Trac, Roundup) against those requirements -
            otherwise the whole "comitee" thing becomes just a joke.

            Another joke is to 'scare' the community with a non-open-source java
            tracker, in order to get 6 to 10 contributors.

            You need just 2 active contributors - and the python community, not
            more (it's open source - so do some plumbing yourself, even if you are
            the Python Foundation).

            Alternatively, why don't you place an requirement "active open source
            project which can process request from the foundation"?

            Because this could have a negative influence on selecting Roundup?

            (this is the reverse selection process. Select the candidate and adjust
            the requirements).

            In any way, the 'comitee' should really stop talking about JIRA in
            context of python. This sounds really like a joke of bad taste.

            btw: If JIRA is selected finally, the I have really to revise my
            decision to choose python for my projects. Simply because I would be
            afraid that the Python Foundation can't move Python into a leading
            position.



            -

            btw: I like both tools, JIRA (nice design) and Roundup (simplicity, db
            layer)

            ..

            Comment

            • skip@pobox.com

              #111
              Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?


              MartinThe regular admin tasks likely include stuff like this:
              Martin- the system is unavailable, bring it back to work
              Martin This is really the worst case, and a short response time
              Martin is the major factor in how users perceive the service
              Martin- the system is responding very slowly

              To all those people who have been moaning about needing 6-10 people to
              administer the system, in my opinion these are the most important reasons to
              have more than one person available to help. Python isn't only used in the
              USofA. It has been very helpful to have administrators scattered around the
              globe who were awake and alert to handle problems with python.org when folks
              in the US were asleep. Of course, spreading the load among several people
              helps with the other tasks as well.

              As Martin pointed out in an earlier post, with only one person actively
              administering Subversion (Martin), new requests for access had to wait if he
              was away for an extended period of time.

              Skip

              Comment

              • Ian Bicking

                #112
                Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

                Paul Boddie wrote:
                Perhaps, although I imagine that Trac would have a lot more uptake if
                it handled more than just Subversion repositories.
                It handles some other kinds of repositories now (bzr, I think?). From
                what I understand fully abstracting out the repository format seems to
                still be a work in progress, but it is in progress and you can write
                repository plugins right now.

                [...]
                I did briefly look at Trac to see whether I could hack in a WebStack
                backend, and I'd do the same for ViewVC if I had the time, mostly
                because such projects already duplicate a lot of effort just to permit
                the deployment of the software on incompatible server solutions.
                There's certainly a lot these solutions could learn from each other and
                from lesser known solutions.
                Trac now includes a WSGI backend, and someone has written a WSGI
                backend for ViewVC (though I don't know if it is included with the
                project).

                Clearly you need to get on the WSGI bandwagon ;)

                Ian

                Comment

                • Michael Ströder

                  #113
                  Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

                  Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
                  >
                  You need just 2 active contributors - and the python community, not
                  more
                  Hmm, this number does not say much. It really depends on the required
                  service level and how much time these two people can spend for
                  maintaining the tracker service.

                  Ciao, Michael.

                  Comment

                  • Giovanni Bajo

                    #114
                    Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

                    Martin v. Löwis wrote:
                    That, in principle, could happen to any other free software as well.
                    What is critical here is that SF *hosted* the installation. If we
                    would use a tracker that is free software, yet hosted it elsewhere,
                    the same thing could happen: the hoster could make modifications to
                    it which
                    are non-free. Not even the GPL could protect from this case: the
                    hoster would be required to publish source only if he publishes
                    binaries, but he wouldn't publish any binaries, so he wouldn't need
                    to release the source changes, either.
                    >
                    Also, even if it the software is open source and unmodified, there
                    still wouldn't be a guarantee that you can get the data out of it
                    if you want to. You *only* get the advantages of free software if
                    you also run it yourself. Unfortunately, there is a significant
                    cost associated with running the software yourself.
                    You have many good points here, Martin. Let me notice, though, that people
                    providing hosting not necessarily want to maintain the software by themselves
                    alone: some python developers could still have admin access to the boxes so to
                    double check if weird things are being done behind the curtain. I think the
                    point of uncertainty araises only if you totally trust someone else to do the
                    job for you.
                    --
                    Giovanni Bajo


                    Comment

                    • Giovanni Bajo

                      #115
                      Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

                      skip@pobox.com wrote:
                      MartinThe regular admin tasks likely include stuff like this:
                      Martin- the system is unavailable, bring it back to work
                      Martin This is really the worst case, and a short response time
                      Martin is the major factor in how users perceive the service
                      Martin- the system is responding very slowly
                      >
                      To all those people who have been moaning about needing 6-10 people to
                      administer the system, in my opinion these are the most important
                      reasons to have more than one person available to help. Python isn't
                      only used in the USofA. It has been very helpful to have
                      administrators scattered around the globe who were awake and alert to
                      handle problems with python.org when folks in the US were asleep. Of
                      course, spreading the load among several people helps with the other
                      tasks as well.
                      >
                      As Martin pointed out in an earlier post, with only one person
                      actively administering Subversion (Martin), new requests for access
                      had to wait if he was away for an extended period of time.
                      This is true of many open source projects. I don't dispute that having 6-10
                      people to administer Roundup would not be good. I dispute that it is the
                      minimum requirement to make a Roundup installation acceptable for Python
                      development.

                      Are bug-tracker configuration issues so critical that having to wait 48-72hrs
                      to have them fixed is absolutely unacceptable for Python development? It looks
                      like an overexaggeratio n. People easily cope with 2-3 days of SVN freezing,
                      when they are politically (rather than technically) stopped from committing to
                      SVN. I guess they can wait 48 hrs to be able to close that bug, or open that
                      other one, or run that query.
                      --
                      Giovanni Bajo


                      Comment

                      • Paul Rubin

                        #116
                        Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

                        "Giovanni Bajo" <noway@sorry.co mwrites:
                        Are bug-tracker configuration issues so critical that having to wait
                        48-72hrs to have them fixed is absolutely unacceptable for Python
                        development? It looks like an overexaggeratio n. People easily cope
                        with 2-3 days of SVN freezing, when they are politically (rather
                        than technically) stopped from committing to SVN. I guess they can
                        wait 48 hrs to be able to close that bug, or open that other one, or
                        run that query.
                        How often should a tracker freeze anyway? People with no technical
                        knowledge at all run BBS systems that almost never freeze. Is a
                        tracker somehow more failure-prone? It's just a special purpose BBS,
                        I'd have thought.

                        Comment

                        • Paul Boddie

                          #117
                          Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

                          Ian Bicking wrote:
                          >
                          It handles some other kinds of repositories now (bzr, I think?). From
                          what I understand fully abstracting out the repository format seems to
                          still be a work in progress, but it is in progress and you can write
                          repository plugins right now.
                          That covers Trac, but other projects probably need to get up to speed
                          with providing similar functionality, too. This is another case where
                          people should work together rather than developing an interoperabilit y
                          layer specific to their own project. Certainly, the Bazaar APIs looked
                          like some kind of promising umbrella project for that kind of thing.
                          Trac now includes a WSGI backend, and someone has written a WSGI
                          backend for ViewVC (though I don't know if it is included with the
                          project).
                          >
                          Clearly you need to get on the WSGI bandwagon ;)
                          Hey, WebStack supports WSGI, too, you know. ;-)

                          Paul

                          Comment

                          • Martin v. Löwis

                            #118
                            Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

                            Paul Rubin schrieb:
                            How often should a tracker freeze anyway? People with no technical
                            knowledge at all run BBS systems that almost never freeze. Is a
                            tracker somehow more failure-prone? It's just a special purpose BBS,
                            I'd have thought.
                            For whatever reason, the SF bug tracker is often down, or not
                            responding. I'm uncertain why that is, but it's a matter of
                            fact that this was one of the driving forces in moving away
                            from SF (so it is a real problem).

                            Regards,
                            Martin

                            Comment

                            • Paul Boddie

                              #119
                              Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

                              Martin v. Löwis wrote:
                              >
                              For whatever reason, the SF bug tracker is often down, or not
                              responding. I'm uncertain why that is, but it's a matter of
                              fact that this was one of the driving forces in moving away
                              from SF (so it is a real problem).
                              As I asked before, did anyone look into asking large-scale users of the
                              various considered products about their experiences with regard to
                              reliability, scalability, and so on? Obviously, SourceForge is a
                              special case since it's a closed service with a code base divergent
                              from the last open source release (and possibly from commercial
                              deployments of the code), whereas the other contenders except for
                              Launchpad, along with non-considered but widely-deployed products,
                              presumably contribute to a certain amount of public experience that can
                              be drawn upon.

                              Paul

                              Comment

                              • Martin v. Löwis

                                #120
                                Re: Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

                                Paul Boddie schrieb:
                                As I asked before, did anyone look into asking large-scale users of the
                                various considered products about their experiences with regard to
                                reliability, scalability, and so on?
                                I didn't ask anyone, primarily because of lack of time.

                                Regards,
                                Martin

                                Comment

                                Working...