threading+ftp+import => block

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Panard

    #1

    threading+ftp+import => block

    Hi,
    I'm experiencing a strange problem while trying to manage a ftp connection
    into a separate thread.

    I'm on linux, python 2.4.3

    Here is a test :
    ------ ftp_thread.py ------
    import ftplib
    import threading
    import datetime

    class test( threading.Threa d ) :
    ftp_conn = ftplib.FTP("loc alhost","user", "pass")
    def run( self ) :
    print self.ftp_conn.p wd()
    self.ftp_conn.d ir("/")
    print datetime.date.t oday()
    def t() :
    t = test()
    t.start()
    t.join()
    t()
    -------

    If I do :
    $ python ftp_thread.py
    /
    drwxrwsr-x 2 panard ftp 4096 Jul 24 12:48 archives
    2006-07-24
    ==Works perfectly

    But :
    $ python
    >>import ftp_thread
    /
    <program block>

    For a strange reason, I've tried to add theses lines before the 't()' call :

    ftp_conn = ftplib.FTP("loc alhost","user", "pass")
    ftp_conn.dir("/")

    And then, when calling t(), self.ftp_conn.d ir("/") shows the list ! (I guess
    a problem of globals()/import .. ?)
    But... the program now blocks just before displaying today date...

    I guess I'm doing something really wrong with threads.. but I don't know
    what...

    Any hints?

    Thanks

    Panard
  • Damjan

    #2
    Re: threading+ftp+i mport =&gt; block

    Panard wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm experiencing a strange problem while trying to manage a ftp connection
    into a separate thread.
    >
    I'm on linux, python 2.4.3
    >
    Here is a test :
    ------ ftp_thread.py ------
    import ftplib
    import threading
    import datetime
    >
    class test( threading.Threa d ) :
    ftp_conn = ftplib.FTP("loc alhost","user", "pass")
    def run( self ) :
    print self.ftp_conn.p wd()
    self.ftp_conn.d ir("/")
    print datetime.date.t oday()
    def t() :
    t = test()
    t.start()
    t.join()
    t()
    -------
    >
    If I do :
    $ python ftp_thread.py
    /
    drwxrwsr-x 2 panard ftp 4096 Jul 24 12:48 archives
    2006-07-24
    ==Works perfectly
    >
    But :
    $ python
    >>>import ftp_thread
    /
    <program block>
    This has been documented in the blog posts titled "How well you know Python"
    (find it on google)

    The problem is that, once you run "import ftp_thread" a lock is set in the
    Python interpreter, so then you can't start a new thread... (this from the
    back of my mind).



    --
    damjan

    Comment

    • Damjan

      #3
      Re: threading+ftp+i mport =&gt; block

      Damjan wrote:
      Panard wrote:
      >
      >Hi,
      >I'm experiencing a strange problem while trying to manage a ftp
      >connection into a separate thread.
      >>
      >I'm on linux, python 2.4.3
      >>
      >Here is a test :
      >------ ftp_thread.py ------
      >import ftplib
      >import threading
      >import datetime
      >>
      >class test( threading.Threa d ) :
      > ftp_conn = ftplib.FTP("loc alhost","user", "pass")
      > def run( self ) :
      > print self.ftp_conn.p wd()
      > self.ftp_conn.d ir("/")
      > print datetime.date.t oday()
      >def t() :
      > t = test()
      > t.start()
      > t.join()
      >t()
      >-------
      >>
      >If I do :
      >$ python ftp_thread.py
      >/
      >drwxrwsr-x 2 panard ftp 4096 Jul 24 12:48 archives
      >2006-07-24
      >==Works perfectly
      >>
      >But :
      >$ python
      >>>>import ftp_thread
      >/
      ><program block>
      >
      This has been documented in the blog posts titled "How well you know
      Python" (find it on google)
      >
      The problem is that, once you run "import ftp_thread" a lock is set in the
      Python interpreter, so then you can't start a new thread... (this from the
      back of my mind).
      Actually, testing with
      class test( threading.Threa d ) :
      def run( self ) :
      print 'Hello'

      instead of your test class, didn't show this anomally... actually the
      problem is that "import ftp_thread" sets a lock on *importing* other
      modules and I thing that the call to "self.ftp_conn. dir("/")" deep down in
      the ftplib module tries to "import re" and that's where it hangs.

      You could try to move the "import re" in ftplib to the top of the module,
      and submit a patch to the Python bug system.



      Here's a simpler test class that hangs:

      import threading
      class test(threading. Thread):
      import string
      print 'Step one'
      def run(self):
      import re
      print 'Hangs before this when this file is imported'

      def t() :
      t = test()
      t.start()
      t.join()
      t()



      --
      damjan

      Comment

      Working...