mod_python fails to load under wamp

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gaurav Agarwal

    #1

    mod_python fails to load under wamp

    Hi,

    Am using WAMP5 and python 2.4.3. I tried to install mod_python 3.2.5
    for python2.4. When i tried starting wamp, Firstly there was no error
    message in the apache error log. I saw error message in windows event
    viewer :

    "The Apache service named Apache.exe reported the following error:
    >>Syntax error on line 194 of c:/wamp/apache/conf/httpd.conf: <<<
    before the error.log file could be opened.

    "The Apache service named Apache.exe reported the following error:
    >>Cannot load c:/wamp/apache/modules/mod_python.so into server: (126) The specified module could not be found: <<<
    before the error.log file could be opened."

    I tried searching the net and found this
    http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=all#2.10 but i don't have
    depends.exe. if somebody has faced this problem before, can you please
    assist in fixing this bug..

    thanks and regards,
    Gaurav Agarwal

  • Ant

    #2
    Re: mod_python fails to load under wamp

    "The Apache service named Apache.exe reported the following error:
    >Cannot load c:/wamp/apache/modules/mod_python.so into server: (126) The specified module could not be found: <<<
    before the error.log file could be opened."
    I have just had a similar problem (same error message), not with
    mod_python, but with another apache module. It turned out that the
    latest version of XAMPP (the lamp-type stack distribution I'm using)
    bundled Apache 2.2, where the module was only compatible with Apache
    2.0 or earlier. I guess they must have changed the module interface in
    2.2. Anyway, I solved the problem by downgrading to Apache 2.0.

    Sounds like a similar problem here - I'll bet WAMP bundles Apache 2.2.

    Comment

    • Luis M. González

      #3
      Re: mod_python fails to load under wamp

      Gaurav Agarwal wrote:
      Hi,
      >
      Am using WAMP5 and python 2.4.3. I tried to install mod_python 3.2.5
      for python2.4. When i tried starting wamp, Firstly there was no error
      message in the apache error log. I saw error message in windows event
      viewer :
      >
      "The Apache service named Apache.exe reported the following error:
      >Syntax error on line 194 of c:/wamp/apache/conf/httpd.conf: <<<
      before the error.log file could be opened.
      >
      "The Apache service named Apache.exe reported the following error:
      >Cannot load c:/wamp/apache/modules/mod_python.so into server: (126) The specified module could not be found: <<<
      before the error.log file could be opened."
      >
      I tried searching the net and found this
      http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=all#2.10 but i don't have
      depends.exe. if somebody has faced this problem before, can you please
      assist in fixing this bug..
      I'm not an expert in the subject, but I have experienced many troubles
      in the past while installing and configuring apache and mod_python...
      It is important to know that each version of apache may match or not a
      given version of mod_python, so make sure to install the correct
      versions of each component.
      Right now, I'm running on windows the following versions:

      Apache/2.0.55 (Win32)
      mod_python/3.2.8
      Python/2.4.2

      I installed "xampp" which is a single application that installs all at
      once (Apache, php, mysql, etc...) except mod_python, which should be
      installed separately.

      I suggest you search the download files on Xampp's sourceforge site and
      look for an older version with Apache 2.0.55 . I'm not sure, but I
      think xampp version 1.5.1 will be ok
      (http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=61776)

      Then, get the mod_python installer (version 3.2.8)


      After that, all you have to do is a few modifications in Apache
      httpd.config file.
      Uncomment (or add) the following line:

      LoadModule python_module modules/mod_python.so

      And finally, if you want, you can set the configurations of the
      handler's you want to use with mod_python (they can be publisher, psp,
      or any other custom one).
      These configurations can be set on this file, or separately on each web
      folder as .htaccess files.

      Hope it helps...
      Luis

      Comment

      • Ant

        #4
        Re: mod_python fails to load under wamp

        I suggest you search the download files on Xampp's sourceforge site and
        look for an older version with Apache 2.0.55 . I'm not sure, but I
        think xampp version 1.5.1 will be ok
        I did this just a few days ago, you could be right, but version 1.5.1
        had no release notes, and a dodgy release number (151), so I thought it
        safer to go for 1.5.0 which definitely has Apache 2.0.55 (1.5.2 has
        version 2.2.something), and people were concentrating harder when it
        was released ;-).

        Comment

        • Ant

          #5
          Re: mod_python fails to load under wamp

          Uh... this may sound silly, but aren't .so files UNIX/Linux/Solaris
          "shared object" files...
          Yes, but apache uses them (or at least the same file extension) for
          modules on Windows and Linux, so mod_python.so is correct.

          Comment

          Working...