wxpython: can't even create a Panel

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • John Salerno

    #1

    wxpython: can't even create a Panel

    I'm using the sample code of the file 'simple.py' and trying to make a
    single window with a panel in it, but I keep getting an error. Here's my
    code: (I know I might need something else, like a Show() method for the
    panel, but the error stops on the first panel line anyway. I've tried a
    Layout() method but it didn't get that far).

    import wx


    class MyFrame(wx.Fram e):

    def __init__(self, parent, title):
    wx.Frame.__init __(self, parent, -1, title)

    panel = wx.Panel(self)

    class MyApp(wx.App):

    def OnInit(self):
    frame = MyFrame(None, 'My Test Frame')
    frame.Show(True )
    return True


    app = MyApp()
    app.MainLoop()

    -----------------------
    And the error:
    [color=blue][color=green][color=darkred]
    >>>[/color][/color][/color]

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Python24\my scripts\wx_test s\wxtest.py", line 4, in -toplevel-
    class MyFrame(wx.Fram e):
    File "C:\Python24\my scripts\wx_test s\wxtest.py", line 9, in MyFrame
    panel = wx.Panel(self)
    NameError: name 'self' is not defined[color=blue][color=green][color=darkred]
    >>>[/color][/color][/color]

    ------------------

    And if it helps, here is the code I'm using as a guide. It has the same
    panel line, but obviously something about my code is different for the
    'self' reference not to work:

    #----------------------------------------------------------------------
    # A very simple wxPython example. Just a wx.Frame, wx.Panel,
    # wx.StaticText, wx.Button, and a wx.BoxSizer, but it shows the basic
    # structure of any wxPython application.
    #----------------------------------------------------------------------

    import wx


    class MyFrame(wx.Fram e):
    """
    This is MyFrame. It just shows a few controls on a wxPanel,
    and has a simple menu.
    """
    def __init__(self, parent, title):
    wx.Frame.__init __(self, parent, -1, title,
    pos=(150, 150), size=(350, 200))

    # Create the menubar
    menuBar = wx.MenuBar()

    # and a menu
    menu = wx.Menu()

    # add an item to the menu, using \tKeyName automatically
    # creates an accelerator, the third param is some help text
    # that will show up in the statusbar
    menu.Append(wx. ID_EXIT, "E&xit\tAlt-X", "Exit this simple sample")

    # bind the menu event to an event handler
    self.Bind(wx.EV T_MENU, self.OnTimeToCl ose, id=wx.ID_EXIT)

    # and put the menu on the menubar
    menuBar.Append( menu, "&File")
    self.SetMenuBar (menuBar)

    self.CreateStat usBar()


    # Now create the Panel to put the other controls on.
    panel = wx.Panel(self)

    # and a few controls
    text = wx.StaticText(p anel, -1, "Hello World!")
    text.SetFont(wx .Font(14, wx.SWISS, wx.NORMAL, wx.BOLD))
    text.SetSize(te xt.GetBestSize( ))
    btn = wx.Button(panel , -1, "Close")
    funbtn = wx.Button(panel , -1, "Just for fun...")

    # bind the button events to handlers
    self.Bind(wx.EV T_BUTTON, self.OnTimeToCl ose, btn)
    self.Bind(wx.EV T_BUTTON, self.OnFunButto n, funbtn)

    # Use a sizer to layout the controls, stacked vertically and with
    # a 10 pixel border around each
    sizer = wx.BoxSizer(wx. VERTICAL)
    sizer.Add(text, 0, wx.ALL, 10)
    sizer.Add(btn, 0, wx.ALL, 10)
    sizer.Add(funbt n, 0, wx.ALL, 10)
    panel.SetSizer( sizer)
    panel.Layout()


    def OnTimeToClose(s elf, evt):
    """Event handler for the button click."""
    print "See ya later!"
    self.Close()

    def OnFunButton(sel f, evt):
    """Event handler for the button click."""
    print "Having fun yet?"


    class MyApp(wx.App):
    def OnInit(self):
    frame = MyFrame(None, "Simple wxPython App")
    self.SetTopWind ow(frame)

    print "Print statements go to this stdout window by default."

    frame.Show(True )
    return True

    app = MyApp(redirect= True)
    app.MainLoop()
  • Fredrik Lundh

    #2
    Re: wxpython: can't even create a Panel

    John Salerno wrote:
    [color=blue]
    > I'm using the sample code of the file 'simple.py' and trying to make a
    > single window with a panel in it, but I keep getting an error. Here's my
    > code: (I know I might need something else, like a Show() method for the
    > panel, but the error stops on the first panel line anyway. I've tried a
    > Layout() method but it didn't get that far).
    >
    > import wx
    >
    > class MyFrame(wx.Fram e):
    >
    > def __init__(self, parent, title):
    > wx.Frame.__init __(self, parent, -1, title)
    >
    > panel = wx.Panel(self)[/color]

    hint: in python, indentation matters.

    </F>

    Comment

    • Tim Chase

      #3
      Re: wxpython: can't even create a Panel

      > def __init__(self, parent, title):[color=blue]
      > wx.Frame.__init __(self, parent, -1, title)
      >
      > panel = wx.Panel(self)[/color]


      It looks like a subtle difference between

      panel = wx.Panel(self)

      and

      panel = wx.Panel(self)

      As the error message states, there is no "self" at the
      class-definition level...only within the method (__init__ in this
      case).

      In the example code from which you're working, note the
      indentation level of the "panel = ..." line relative to the "def
      __init__" line, and compare with your code.

      Subtle, but important. :)

      -tkc



      Comment

      • John Salerno

        #4
        Re: wxpython: can't even create a Panel

        Tim Chase wrote:
        [color=blue]
        > It looks like a subtle difference between
        >
        > panel = wx.Panel(self)
        >
        > and
        >
        > panel = wx.Panel(self)[/color]

        Ack! Thanks guys! What's funny is that at first I even had it beneath
        the __init__ method, but then I unindented because it looked wrong for
        some reason! :P

        Well, now I can create a totally useless empty window, which I consider
        a major accomplishment!

        Comment

        Working...