Web framework comparison video

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Iain King

    #1

    Web framework comparison video



    Thought this might be interesting to y'all. (I can't watch it 'cos I'm
    at work, so any comments about it would be appreciated :)

    Iain

  • Sybren Stuvel

    #2
    Re: Web framework comparison video

    Iain King enlightened us with:[color=blue]
    > http://compoundthinking.com/blog/ind...parison-video/
    >
    > Thought this might be interesting to y'all. (I can't watch it 'cos
    > I'm at work, so any comments about it would be appreciated :)[/color]

    It's a nice video, I really enjoyed it. Even though the website you
    linked says it's a 60 minute vid, it's only just over 30 minutes.

    So far, I've created my own web framework - mostly because I didn't
    see a simple to use framework that could do what I wanted it to do:
    properly handle client-side caching. Looking at the Plone website, it
    looks like they do support that. Perhaps I'll look into Plone for my
    site in the future ;-) For now, I'm very happy with my own framework
    (http://www.unrealtower.org/engine)

    Sybren
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    Frank Zappa

    Comment

    • Sybren Stuvel

      #3
      Re: Web framework comparison video

      Sybren Stuvel enlightened us with:[color=blue]
      > Perhaps I'll look into Plone for my site in the future ;-)[/color]

      I take that back. The Plone webserver is hosted by XS4ALL, the best
      ISP in The Netherlands, which resides in Amsterdam. I happen to live
      in Amsterdam too, so you'd expect the site to be fast. Well, it took 5
      to 15 seconds to get a page from their FAQ[1], which is just way too
      slow. As a comparison, the XS4ALL website[2] took only 0.4 seconds. I
      tested it using "time lynx -dump $URL >/dev/null".

      [1] http://plone.org/documentation/faq/products-for-plone
      [2] http://www.xs4all.nl/
      [color=blue]
      > For now, I'm very happy with my own framework
      > (http://www.unrealtower.org/engine)[/color]

      Looks like I'll be happy a while longer!

      Sybren
      --
      The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
      capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
      safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
      Frank Zappa

      Comment

      • AndyL

        #4
        Re: Web framework comparison video

        Iain King wrote:[color=blue]
        > http://compoundthinking.com/blog/ind...parison-video/
        >
        > Thought this might be interesting to y'all. (I can't watch it 'cos I'm
        > at work, so any comments about it would be appreciated :)[/color]

        Indeed it was. The headache factor is 1, for some reason my Mandrake
        2006 media players mute the sound. Had to boot to M$ :-(.

        A.

        Comment

        • Paul Boddie

          #5
          Re: Web framework comparison video

          AndyL wrote:[color=blue]
          >
          > Indeed it was. The headache factor is 1, for some reason my Mandrake
          > 2006 media players mute the sound. Had to boot to M$ :-(.[/color]

          Yes, these Web 2.0 pretenders just love their proprietary formats:
          Flash, QuickTime, etc. But then I guess Web 2.0 to them is all about
          compromising the open nature of the Web, accessibility,
          interoperabilit y, with shiny things that are "OK because they work on
          my iBook".

          Paul

          Comment

          • Adam Jones

            #6
            Re: Web framework comparison video

            Just as a note, TurboGears has added a lot that would change the
            scoring on this. The project has been moving pretty quickly towards 1.0
            lately, and I would advise anyone interested in a comparison to check
            out the recent changes before making a final decision. The same will
            probably hold true for many of the projects mentioned though.

            Comment

            Working...