wxStyledTextCtrl - Dead?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • David Rasmussen

    #1

    wxStyledTextCtrl - Dead?

    I have several questions about wxStyledTextCtr l:

    1) Is it still being maintained?

    2) Where are the docs and tutorials?

    3) Is it wxStyledTextCtr l, wx.StyledTextCt rl, StyledTextCtrl, or... ?

    4) Is there an alternative?

    /David
  • blackno666

    #2
    Re: wxStyledTextCtr l - Dead?

    The wxPython Demo
    (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/w...2.6.3.2.tar.gz)
    still contains the wxStyledTextCtr l:

    wx.stc.StyledTe xtCtrl

    The demo is probably also a good example of how to use
    wxStyledTextCtr l.

    Basic information can be found on


    Regards.


    David Rasmussen schrieb:
    [color=blue]
    > I have several questions about wxStyledTextCtr l:
    >
    > 1) Is it still being maintained?
    >
    > 2) Where are the docs and tutorials?
    >
    > 3) Is it wxStyledTextCtr l, wx.StyledTextCt rl, StyledTextCtrl, or... ?
    >
    > 4) Is there an alternative?
    >
    > /David[/color]

    Comment

    • Dave Mandelin

      #3
      Re: wxStyledTextCtr l - Dead?

      I don't know the answers to 1 and 2, but from the demo I know that the
      answer to 3 is wx.stc.StyledTe xtControl.

      As for 4, I guess it depends on what you want to do. StyledTextContr ol
      looked pretty scary to me, and for my application I mainly needed to
      display styled text, not edit it, so I embedded a web browser window
      and used HTML+CSS (and even a little JavaScript now). That worked quite
      nicely.

      If you need to edit the text as well, then I don't know. The rich edit
      control (TextCtrl with style wx.TE_RICH2) is one option, but it is not
      particularly nice to use.

      --
      Want to play tabletop RPGs over the internet?
      Check out RPZen: http://koboldsoft.com

      Comment

      • David Rasmussen

        #4
        Re: wxStyledTextCtr l - Dead?

        Dave Mandelin wrote:[color=blue]
        > I don't know the answers to 1 and 2, but from the demo I know that the
        > answer to 3 is wx.stc.StyledTe xtControl.
        >
        > As for 4, I guess it depends on what you want to do. StyledTextContr ol
        > looked pretty scary to me, and for my application I mainly needed to
        > display styled text, not edit it, so I embedded a web browser window
        > and used HTML+CSS (and even a little JavaScript now). That worked quite
        > nicely.
        >
        > If you need to edit the text as well, then I don't know. The rich edit
        > control (TextCtrl with style wx.TE_RICH2) is one option, but it is not
        > particularly nice to use.
        >[/color]

        I am trying to make a programmer's editor (and later a full IDE), and I
        want things like syntax highlighting etc. I could of course roll my own
        fancy editing control, but if STC could solve my problem and is flexible
        enough, then I'll use that for now :)

        /David

        Comment

        • Peter Hansen

          #5
          Re: wxStyledTextCtr l - Dead?

          David Rasmussen wrote:[color=blue]
          > I am trying to make a programmer's editor (and later a full IDE), and I
          > want things like syntax highlighting etc. I could of course roll my own
          > fancy editing control, but if STC could solve my problem and is flexible
          > enough, then I'll use that for now :)[/color]

          There are at least two (that I know of) editors written in Python and
          based on the STC. Going from memory, PyPE is one, and the other is ...
          um... well, it's too early in the morning to recall but I'm sure it
          wouldn't be hard to find. Full source is available for either and while
          rolling your own anything is fun and educational, I think both of these
          are simple enough that you'd probably prefer to stand on their authors'
          shoulders, or at least learn from the code first.

          -Peter

          Comment

          • Franz Steinhaeusler

            #6
            Re: wxStyledTextCtr l - Dead?

            On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 06:58:28 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter@engcorp. com>
            wrote:
            [color=blue]
            >David Rasmussen wrote:[color=green]
            >> I am trying to make a programmer's editor (and later a full IDE), and I
            >> want things like syntax highlighting etc. I could of course roll my own
            >> fancy editing control, but if STC could solve my problem and is flexible
            >> enough, then I'll use that for now :)[/color]
            >
            >There are at least two (that I know of) editors written in Python and
            >based on the STC. Going from memory, PyPE is one, and the other is ...
            > um... well, it's too early in the morning to recall but I'm sure it
            >wouldn't be hard to find.[/color]

            No, it's not hard. :)
            for example: Boa Constructor, DrPython, spe and newedit.


            Comment

            Working...