About IDLE?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dr. Pastor

    #1

    About IDLE?

    Installed Python 2.4.2 on Windows XP.
    Activated IDLE.
    Loaded the following into the Edit window:
    ---
    # dates are easily constructed and formatted (Tutorial 10.8)

    from datetime import date
    now = date.today()
    now

    now.strftime("% m-%d-%y. %d %b %Y is a %A on the %d day of %B.")

    # dates support calendar arithmetic

    birthday = date(1985, 12, 1)
    age = now - birthday
    age.days
    ---
    When I select Run Module in the Edit window, I got only
    two >>> after the RESTART line.
    I expected to see the output of several commands!
    Typing in age.days do produce the number of days.

    Why I do not get any output?
    Thanks for any guidance.


  • Sybren Stuvel

    #2
    Re: About IDLE?

    Dr. Pastor enlightened us with:[color=blue]
    > When I select Run Module in the Edit window, I got only
    > two >>> after the RESTART line.
    > I expected to see the output of several commands![/color]

    You never gave it any commands that print output.

    I suggest reading the Python tutorial.

    Sybren
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    Frank Zappa

    Comment

    • Fredrik Lundh

      #3
      Re: About IDLE?

      "Dr. Pastor" wrote:
      [color=blue]
      > Installed Python 2.4.2 on Windows XP.
      > Activated IDLE.
      > Loaded the following into the Edit window:
      > ---
      > # dates are easily constructed and formatted (Tutorial 10.8)
      >
      > from datetime import date
      > now = date.today()
      > now
      >
      > now.strftime("% m-%d-%y. %d %b %Y is a %A on the %d day of %B.")
      >
      > # dates support calendar arithmetic
      >
      > birthday = date(1985, 12, 1)
      > age = now - birthday
      > age.days
      > ---
      > When I select Run Module in the Edit window, I got only
      > two >>> after the RESTART line.
      > I expected to see the output of several commands!
      > Typing in age.days do produce the number of days.
      >
      > Why I do not get any output?[/color]

      while the interactive console echoes the result back if you type in an
      arbitrary expression, the interpreter doesn't do that if you run things in
      a script.

      to print stuff from a script, use the "print" statement.

      print now
      print now.strftime(.. .)
      ...
      print age.days

      your favourite tutorial (hopefully) contains more information about the
      interactive mode, and how it differs from code in scripts or modules.

      hope this helps!

      </F>



      Comment

      • Nick Smallbone

        #4
        Re: About IDLE?

        Sybren Stuvel wrote:[color=blue]
        > Dr. Pastor enlightened us with:[color=green]
        > > When I select Run Module in the Edit window, I got only
        > > two >>> after the RESTART line.
        > > I expected to see the output of several commands![/color]
        >
        > You never gave it any commands that print output.
        >
        > I suggest reading the Python tutorial.
        >[/color]

        To be more specific, when you type in an expression at the Python
        prompt, it will evaluate it and then print it (if it doesn't evaluate
        to None). In a module it doesn't do that, as then you'd have all sorts
        of things printed out modules were imported.

        Comment

        • Dr. Pastor

          #5
          Re: About IDLE?

          Any reply?

          Dr. Pastor wrote:[color=blue]
          > Installed Python 2.4.2 on Windows XP.
          > Activated IDLE.
          > Loaded the following into the Edit window:
          > ---
          > # dates are easily constructed and formatted (Tutorial 10.8)
          >
          > from datetime import date
          > now = date.today()
          > now
          >
          > now.strftime("% m-%d-%y. %d %b %Y is a %A on the %d day of %B.")
          >
          > # dates support calendar arithmetic
          >
          > birthday = date(1985, 12, 1)
          > age = now - birthday
          > age.days
          > ---
          > When I select Run Module in the Edit window, I got only
          > two >>> after the RESTART line.
          > I expected to see the output of several commands!
          > Typing in age.days do produce the number of days.
          >
          > Why I do not get any output?
          > Thanks for any guidance.
          >
          >[/color]

          Comment

          • Nick Smallbone

            #6
            Re: About IDLE?

            Dr. Pastor wrote:[color=blue]
            > Any reply?
            >[/color]

            ahem. three replies, when i counted:


            Comment

            • Dr. Pastor

              #7
              Re: About IDLE?

              Thank you! I can see only your reply.
              But indeed google prints three.
              The mind boggles.


              Nick Smallbone wrote:
              [color=blue]
              > Dr. Pastor wrote:
              >[color=green]
              >>Any reply?
              >>[/color]
              >
              >
              > ahem. three replies, when i counted:
              > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c8455251e616c/
              >[/color]

              Comment

              • Terry Reedy

                #8
                Re: About IDLE?


                "Dr. Pastor" <elpX@adsihqX.c om> wrote in message
                news:zs_Pf.4292 $6I.1238@newsre ad3.news.pas.ea rthlink.net...[color=blue]
                > Installed Python 2.4.2 on Windows XP.
                > Activated IDLE.
                > Loaded the following into the Edit window:[/color]
                [color=blue]
                > Why I do not get any output?
                > Thanks for any guidance.[/color]

                When you run code from an edit window, IDLE saves the file to disk and then
                *imports* it into the shell window. If you *paste* code into the shell
                window (regardless of where from), then it acts like you typed it and you
                will get expression results echoed, as you expected.

                I got caught be this at first too, since I have run many snippets by
                pasting.

                Terry Jan Reedy



                Comment

                Working...