using PyShell, or other shells?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • John Salerno

    #1

    using PyShell, or other shells?

    I'm interested in trying out shells other than IDLE, and I found
    PyShell, but I'm not sure how to get it exactly. Is there a way to get
    it without installing wxPython, or is it a part of it? I can't find much
    reference to it in any of the manuals at wxpython.org (except for a
    brief description of what it is, but not *where* it is or how to use it).

    Thanks. And if there are other shells that are newer/better, I'd
    appreciate a recommendation.
  • jao@geophile.com

    #2
    Re: using PyShell, or other shells?

    Quoting John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPA Mgmail.com>:
    [color=blue]
    > I'm interested in trying out shells other than IDLE, and I found
    > PyShell, but I'm not sure how to get it exactly. Is there a way to get
    > it without installing wxPython, or is it a part of it? I can't find much
    > reference to it in any of the manuals at wxpython.org (except for a
    > brief description of what it is, but not *where* it is or how to use it).
    >
    > Thanks. And if there are other shells that are newer/better, I'd
    > appreciate a recommendation.[/color]

    If you're interested in shell-like capabilities inside a Python
    environment, check out IPython: http://ipython.scipy.org.

    If you want Python-like capabilities from a traditional shell,
    check out osh: http://geophile.com/osh. (Disclaimer: I am the
    developer of osh.)

    Jack Orenstein

    Comment

    • André

      #3
      Re: using PyShell, or other shells?

      John Salerno wrote:[color=blue]
      > I'm interested in trying out shells other than IDLE, and I found
      > PyShell, but I'm not sure how to get it exactly. Is there a way to get
      > it without installing wxPython, or is it a part of it? I can't find much
      > reference to it in any of the manuals at wxpython.org (except for a
      > brief description of what it is, but not *where* it is or how to use it).
      >[/color]

      PyShell is, as far as I know, now included only as part of wxPython.
      wxPython includes other little apps that embed PyShell in them.

      If you do download wxPython to use Pyshell, you may want to download
      Lightning Compiler, a little app I wrote that embeds PyShell. It can be
      found at
      http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=125834
      under "lightning" . Others have found it useful :-)

      André
      [color=blue]
      > Thanks. And if there are other shells that are newer/better, I'd
      > appreciate a recommendation.[/color]

      Comment

      • Colin J. Williams

        #4
        Re: using PyShell, or other shells?

        John Salerno wrote:[color=blue]
        > I'm interested in trying out shells other than IDLE, and I found
        > PyShell, but I'm not sure how to get it exactly. Is there a way to get
        > it without installing wxPython, or is it a part of it? I can't find much
        > reference to it in any of the manuals at wxpython.org (except for a
        > brief description of what it is, but not *where* it is or how to use it).
        >
        > Thanks. And if there are other shells that are newer/better, I'd
        > appreciate a recommendation.[/color]

        If you are looking for an IDE, you might consider PyScripter.


        Colin W.

        Comment

        Working...