Building python 2.4.2 on Cygwin

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mrstephengross

    #1

    Building python 2.4.2 on Cygwin

    Ok, I'm working on building python 2.4.2 on cygwin. I *think* it's
    version 3.0 or 3.1 (is there a quick way to find out what version of
    cygwin is running within a shell?)

    Anyway, it appears to 'configure' fine, but gcc reports a compile error
    when it gets to posixmodule.c. Here's the first few lines of the error
    message:

    =============== ===============
    gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
    -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -c ./Modules/posixmodule.c -o
    Modules/posixmodule.o
    Modules/posixmodule.c:3 08: warning: function declaration isn't a
    prototype
    Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_ttyname' :
    Modules/posixmodule.c:1 162: warning: implicit declaration of function
    `ttyname'
    Modules/posixmodule.c:1 162: warning: assignment makes pointer from
    integer without a cast
    Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_mkdir':
    Modules/posixmodule.c:1 791: too many arguments to function `mkdir'
    =============== ===============

    I've researched this a bit, and it sounds like cygwin gets all confused
    about system includes and so on. Is there a good, comprehensive
    explanation somewhere of how to make this all work? (Most of the
    threads I've found are helpful, but not complete unfortunately).

    Thanks,
    --Steve (mrstephengross @hotmail.com)

  • Jason Tishler

    #2
    Re: Building python 2.4.2 on Cygwin

    Steve,

    On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:24:34PM -0800, mrstephengross wrote:[color=blue]
    > Ok, I'm working on building python 2.4.2 on cygwin. I *think* it's
    > version 3.0 or 3.1 (is there a quick way to find out what version of
    > cygwin is running within a shell?)[/color]

    Use "uname -r". What version are you running?

    Jason

    --
    PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
    Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

    Comment

    • Stephen Gross

      #3
      Re: Building python 2.4.2 on Cygwin

      > On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:24:34PM -0800, mrstephengross wrote:[color=blue][color=green]
      >> Ok, I'm working on building python 2.4.2 on cygwin. I *think* it's
      >> version 3.0 or 3.1 (is there a quick way to find out what version of
      >> cygwin is running within a shell?)[/color]
      >
      > Use "uname -r". What version are you running?[/color]

      Uname tells me:

      $ uname -r
      1.5.18(0.132/4/2)

      --Steve

      Comment

      • Jason Tishler

        #4
        Re: Building python 2.4.2 on Cygwin

        Steve,

        On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 11:49:06PM -0500, Stephen Gross wrote:[color=blue][color=green]
        > >On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:24:34PM -0800, mrstephengross wrote:[color=darkred]
        > >>Ok, I'm working on building python 2.4.2 on cygwin. I *think* it's
        > >>version 3.0 or 3.1 (is there a quick way to find out what version of
        > >>cygwin is running within a shell?)[/color]
        > >
        > >Use "uname -r". What version are you running?[/color]
        >
        > Uname tells me:
        >
        > $ uname -r
        > 1.5.18(0.132/4/2)[/color]

        Just to be sure, what does the following indicate?

        $ cygcheck -c cygwin

        Sorry, but I cannot reproduce your problem under Cygwin 1.5.18.

        BTW, can you use the pre-built Python 2.4.1 that is part of the standard
        Cygwin distribution?

        Jason

        --
        PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
        Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

        Comment

        • Stephen Gross

          #5
          Re: Building python 2.4.2 on Cygwin

          >Just to be sure, what does the following indicate?
          $ cygcheck -c cygwin
          Cygwin Package Information
          Package Version Status
          cygwin 1.5.18-1 OK
          [color=blue]
          >BTW, can you use the pre-built Python 2.4.1 that is part of the standard[/color]
          Cygwin distribution?

          Nope--I need to do a custom python build for a very specific situation...

          Thanks,
          --Steve

          Comment

          • Jason Tishler

            #6
            Re: Building python 2.4.2 on Cygwin

            Steve,

            On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:31:48AM -0500, Stephen Gross wrote:[color=blue][color=green]
            > >Just to be sure, what does the following indicate?[/color]
            > $ cygcheck -c cygwin
            > Cygwin Package Information
            > Package Version Status
            > cygwin 1.5.18-1 OK[/color]

            Try reinstalling Cygwin 1.5.18 or upgrading to 1.5.19.

            Jason

            --
            PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
            Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

            Comment

            Working...