install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ksenia Marasanova

    #1

    install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3

    Hi,

    I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
    current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
    instead of upgrading.
    Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
    /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
    as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?
    Or am I missing something and the things are much easier? I am not a
    FreeBSD guru and it's my first python upgrade... thanks!

    --
    Ksenia
  • Paul Watson

    #2
    Re: install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3

    Ksenia Marasanova wrote:[color=blue]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
    > current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
    > instead of upgrading.
    > Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
    > /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
    > as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?[/color]

    Yes, you can have several versions installed in different directories.

    Many people make /usr/local/bin/python or /usr/bin/python a link to the
    default version they choose for the machine.

    Comment

    • Paul Watson

      #3
      Re: install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3

      Ksenia Marasanova wrote:[color=blue]
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
      > current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
      > instead of upgrading.
      > Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
      > /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
      > as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?[/color]

      Yes, you can have several versions installed in different directories.

      Many people make /usr/local/bin/python or /usr/bin/python a link to the
      default version they choose for the machine.

      Comment

      • Mike Meyer

        #4
        Re: install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3

        Ksenia Marasanova <ksenia.marasan ova@gmail.com> writes:
        [color=blue]
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
        > current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
        > instead of upgrading.
        > Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
        > /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
        > as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?
        > Or am I missing something and the things are much easier? I am not a
        > FreeBSD guru and it's my first python upgrade... thanks![/color]

        You can't install from ports and keep multiple versions around. Well,
        at least not easily. You'll have to install from the Python
        sources. If you haven't changed LOCALBASE, then installing from
        sources will overwrite the things installed in /usr/local/bin, the
        python manual page, and the emacs python-mode file (at least, that's
        what's installed by the Python port that isn't in a version-specific
        file). As others have said, you can work around that with the --prefix
        argument to configure when you build python.

        <mike
        --
        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.or g> http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
        Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

        Comment

        • Mike Meyer

          #5
          Re: install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3

          Ksenia Marasanova <ksenia.marasan ova@gmail.com> writes:
          [color=blue]
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
          > current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
          > instead of upgrading.
          > Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
          > /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
          > as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?
          > Or am I missing something and the things are much easier? I am not a
          > FreeBSD guru and it's my first python upgrade... thanks![/color]

          You can't install from ports and keep multiple versions around. Well,
          at least not easily. You'll have to install from the Python
          sources. If you haven't changed LOCALBASE, then installing from
          sources will overwrite the things installed in /usr/local/bin, the
          python manual page, and the emacs python-mode file (at least, that's
          what's installed by the Python port that isn't in a version-specific
          file). As others have said, you can work around that with the --prefix
          argument to configure when you build python.

          <mike
          --
          Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.or g> http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
          Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

          Comment

          Working...