How standard is the standard library?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • steve.leach

    #1

    How standard is the standard library?

    Newbie question: Looking through my stack of books and various on-line
    references, I have seen several libraries and library functions listed
    as depreciated.

    Is there a road map or concrete list of what parts of the standard
    library are to be considered reliable and permanent? Coming from C, I
    am used to library functions being set in stone.

    Can I reasonably expect that code using, for instance xml.dom.minidom
    will still work in 10 years?

    Do all depreciated libraries print warnings when they are imported? I
    see that if I print xmllib, I get the message "The xmllib module is
    obsolete. Use xml.sax instead." Is this behavior followed
    consistently, to give a "this code might not work come this time next
    year" warning?
  • Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

    #2
    Re: How standard is the standard library?

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:43:15 -0400, rumours say that "steve.leac h"
    <stevenaleach@m ac.com> might have written:
    [color=blue]
    >Newbie question: Looking through my stack of books and various on-line
    >references, I have seen several libraries and library functions listed
    >as depreciated.
    >
    >Is there a road map or concrete list of what parts of the standard
    >library are to be considered reliable and permanent? Coming from C, I
    >am used to library functions being set in stone.[/color]

    [snip]

    You didn't mention any reading of PEP 4 (which would be obvious by a
    simple google search), so take a look at this:

    When new modules were added to the standard Python library in the past, it was not possible to foresee whether they would still be useful in the future. Even though Python “Comes With Batteries Included”, batteries may discharge over time. Carrying ol...

    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.
    "Be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving." (from RFC1958)
    I really should keep that in mind when talking with people, actually...

    Comment

    Working...