how to close a gzip.GzipFile?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Justin Guerin

    #1

    how to close a gzip.GzipFile?

    Hello list,

    gzip documentation states that calling the .close() method on a GzipFile
    doesn't really close it. If I'm really through with it, what's the best
    way to close it? I'm using Python2.2 (but the gzip module doesn't seem to
    be any different from 2.4).

    Here's my code snippet, if it's relevant:

    oldfileobj= file(oldfile, 'r')
    oldmd5 = md5.new()
    tellold = 0
    tellnew = 1
    while tellold != tellnew:
    line = oldfileobj.read line()
    tellold = tellnew
    tellnew = oldfileobj.tell ()
    oldmd5.update(l ine)


    At this point, I'm finished reading the file, and would like to properly
    close it. Should I just del oldfileobj?

    Also, while I'm asking, does anyone know a better way to iterate through a
    gzipped file? The gzip module doesn't support iteration, nor xreadlines.
    I need to avoid reading the entire file contents into memory, so I can't
    use "for line in oldfileobj.read lines()"

    Thanks for the pointers.

    Justin Guerin
Working...