Building Python with Tcl/Tk on Cygwin_NT-5.1

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dean N. Williams

    #1

    Building Python with Tcl/Tk on Cygwin_NT-5.1

    Dear Python Community,

    I am trying to build Python with Tcl/Tk under the Cygwin_NT-5.1 OS.
    Has anyone done this? Do I need to build tcl8.4.9 and tk8.4.9 under the
    unix directory or the win directory. I found that the Tcl/Tk unix
    directories compiled just fine and built the libtcl8.4.a and libtk8.4.a
    libraries for use. But I don't think that Python is looking for this. If
    you've built Python with Tcl/Tck, is it possible for you to send me
    instructions on how you did it? Thanks in advance...

    Best regards,
    Dean

  • Kartic

    #2
    Re: Building Python with Tcl/Tk on Cygwin_NT-5.1

    Dean,

    It has been quite sometime since I did that. I had installed Tcl/TK in
    a non-standard location on my Freebsd box.

    So, for Python to compile _tkinter, in the configure script I passed
    the location of the Tcl/Tk includes and libs. So, you will have to find
    out where in the Cygwin tree the tcl includes and libraries are
    installed.

    On my Freebsd box, I did:
    CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/tcl/include" \ # that is a - capital i
    LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/tcl/lib" \
    ../configure \
    ..... rest of configure options.

    (put this in something like do-conf) and at the prompt type sh do-conf.

    OR

    you can use the --with-libs='lib1 ...' option for the configure
    script. You will to give the path to your TCL libraries against this
    option.

    Do a configure --help to see the available configure options with some
    help strings.

    But like Jason mentioned, why don't you use the stock Python install
    that comes with Cygwin; it is tkinter enabled and works just fine?
    (unless you have a compelling reason to install from source)
    Thanks,
    --Kartic

    Comment

    Working...