the FCNTL module is deprecated

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rob McCrea

    #1

    the FCNTL module is deprecated

    Hi all,

    On windows98SE, running Python 2.3.4 (#53, May 25 2004, 21:17:02) [MSC
    v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32, the built-in help() function gives me
    a deprecation warning when used on my docstrings.

    just help() start the interactive help without error.

    Heres some minimalistic code to demonstrate this warning:

    """start testhelp.py"""

    class Object:
    "class Object is an empty testing class"
    def __init__(self):
    pass

    help(Object)

    """end testhelp.py"""

    """start output"""

    C:\PYTHON23\lib \fcntl.py:7: DeprecationWarn ing: the FCNTL module is
    deprecated;
    please use fcntl
    DeprecationWarn ing)

    Help on class Object in module __main__:

    class Object
    | class Object is an empty testing class
    |
    | Methods defined here:
    |
    | __init__(self)

    """end output"""

    I'm not particularly concerned with it, just being a warning which I
    might be able to suppress with python.exe parameters, but if anyone
    knows how to fix it, I'd like to fix it. I also had the same warning in
    2.3.3, which lead me to upgrading which searching for a solution. I
    tried deleting all .pyc from my python\Lib directory, to no avail. I am
    new, am I missing a step in creating docstrings and/or using help()?

    Thanks,
    Rob

  • Rob McCrea

    #2
    Re: the FCNTL module is deprecated

    I wrote:
    [color=blue]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > On windows98SE, running Python 2.3.4 (#53, May 25 2004, 21:17:02) [MSC
    > v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32, the built-in help() function gives me
    > a deprecation warning when used on my docstrings.
    >
    > just help() start the interactive help without error.
    >
    > Heres some minimalistic code to demonstrate this warning:[/color]

    My code wasn't the minimum, i guess its not my docstrings:

    """start testhelp.py"""

    class Object:
    def __init__(self):
    pass

    help(Object)

    """end testhelp.py"""
    [color=blue]
    > C:\PYTHON23\lib \fcntl.py:7: DeprecationWarn ing: the FCNTL module is
    > deprecated;
    > please use fcntl
    > DeprecationWarn ing)
    >
    > Help on class Object in module __main__:
    >
    > class Object
    > | class Object is an empty testing class
    > |
    > | Methods defined here:
    > |
    > | __init__(self)
    >
    > """end output"""
    >
    > I'm not particularly concerned with it, just being a warning which I
    > might be able to suppress with python.exe parameters, but if anyone
    > knows how to fix it, I'd like to fix it. I also had the same warning in
    > 2.3.3, which lead me to upgrading which searching for a solution. I
    > tried deleting all .pyc from my python\Lib directory, to no avail. I am
    > new, am I missing a step in using help()?[/color]

    Thanks,
    Rob

    Comment

    • Lenard Lindstrom

      #3
      Re: the FCNTL module is deprecated

      Rob McCrea <robmccrea@spaa madelphiaspremo veam.net> writes:
      [color=blue]
      > I wrote:
      >[color=green]
      > > Hi all,
      > > On windows98SE, running Python 2.3.4 (#53, May 25 2004, 21:17:02)
      > > [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32, the built-in help() function
      > > gives me
      > > a deprecation warning when used on my docstrings.
      > > just help() start the interactive help without error.
      > > Heres some minimalistic code to demonstrate this warning:[/color]
      >
      > My code wasn't the minimum, i guess its not my docstrings:
      >
      > """start testhelp.py"""
      >
      > class Object:
      > def __init__(self):
      > pass
      >
      > help(Object)
      >
      > """end testhelp.py"""
      >[color=green]
      > > C:\PYTHON23\lib \fcntl.py:7: DeprecationWarn ing: the FCNTL module is
      > > deprecated;
      > > please use fcntl
      > > DeprecationWarn ing)
      > > Help on class Object in module __main__:
      > > class Object
      > > | class Object is an empty testing class
      > > |
      > > | Methods defined here:
      > > |
      > > | __init__(self)
      > > """end output"""
      > > I'm not particularly concerned with it, just being a warning which I
      > > might be able to suppress with python.exe parameters, but if anyone
      > > knows how to fix it, I'd like to fix it. I also had the same
      > > warning in 2.3.3, which lead me to upgrading which searching for a
      > > solution. I tried deleting all .pyc from my python\Lib directory,
      > > to no avail. I am new, am I missing a step in using help()?[/color]
      >[/color]
      I am running Windows 98 and do not get the deprecation warning. After
      some searching I chased the problem down to the PYTHONCASEOK environment
      variable, which is not defined on my system.

      C:\prg\Python23 >python -V
      Python 2.3.3

      C:\prg\Python23 >python helptest.py

      Help on class Object in module __main__:

      class Object
      | Methods defined here:
      |
      | __init__(self)


      C:\prg\Python23 >type helptest.py
      """start testhelp.py"""

      class Object:
      def __init__(self):
      pass

      help(Object)

      """end testhelp.py"""

      C:\prg\Python23 >set PYTHONCASEOK=1

      C:\prg\Python23 >python helptest.py
      C:\PRG\PYTHON23 \lib\fcntl.py:7 : DeprecationWarn ing: the FCNTL module is deprecat
      ed; please use fcntl
      DeprecationWarn ing)

      Help on class Object in module __main__:

      class Object
      | Methods defined here:
      |
      | __init__(self)

      Lenard Lindstrom
      <len-l@telus.net>

      Comment

      • Rob McCrea

        #4
        Re: the FCNTL module is deprecated (fixed!)

        Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
        [color=blue]
        > Rob McCrea <robmccrea@spaa madelphiaspremo veam.net> writes:
        >[color=green]
        >>I wrote:
        >>[color=darkred]
        >>>Hi all,[/color]
        >>
        >>"""start testhelp.py"""
        >>
        >>class Object:
        >> def __init__(self):
        >> pass
        >>
        >>help(Object )
        >>
        >>"""end testhelp.py"""
        >>[color=darkred]
        >> > C:\PYTHON23\lib \fcntl.py:7: DeprecationWarn ing: the FCNTL module is[/color]
        >>[color=darkred]
        >>>deprecated ;
        >>>please use fcntl
        >>> DeprecationWarn ing)
        >>>Help on class Object in module __main__:
        >>>class Object
        >>> | class Object is an empty testing class
        >>> |
        >>> | Methods defined here:
        >>> |
        >>> | __init__(self)
        >>>"""end output"""[/color]
        >>[/color]
        > I am running Windows 98 and do not get the deprecation warning. After
        > some searching I chased the problem down to the PYTHONCASEOK environment
        > variable, which is not defined on my system.
        >
        > Lenard Lindstrom
        > <len-l@telus.net>[/color]

        Thanks very much, Lenard, It's fixed.

        Rob

        Comment

        Working...